LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bolt won't go all the way in. Ideas why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-16, 10:43 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bolt won't go all the way in. Ideas why?

Doing a full timing belt job and this 1997 Lexus LS400 is fighting me every step of the way.

Look closely at this bolt head on the fan bracket. I can't tighten it any further(seems to bottom out and don't want to force it). I'm looking for ideas.

Here's a picture of the bracket. I switched bolts from left to right. Bolts are the same length and the right side tightens up perfectly.

Maybe there is something in the bolt hole? I'm not going to tear everything out again to try and find out why.
Needs to tighten up maybe a 1/4" more.

The bolts right and left on the bracket match. The left side just won't tighten up.
Old 06-25-16, 12:12 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

You SHOULD take the bolt out are loom in the hole with a light. Maybe the threads are bad when it get to a certain spot in the hole. Try loosening the other bolt up and wiggling the bracket to see if the bolt in question goes down all the way or rub some oil on the bolt before putting it in.
Old 06-25-16, 07:12 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If your not sure you need to deal with it, even if it means starting over. And this is why no matter how top notch a mechanic is, bag or label the parts to what and where they go. If you mess up the hole then your in a world of hurt. Mess up meaning cause a crack.
Old 06-25-16, 09:14 PM
GasBuggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of thoughts on this. My guess is the bolt on the right side should be in that hole. Looks like one would be longer and shorter based on the pump casting.

Remove it. Threads look fine? If so; check the depth and compare (maybe you mixed up a shorter bolt somewhere). Maybe the casting on the new part is a little off and it's running against the edge, check. If you cross threaded, get a tap and chase the threads.

Also, you could always throw a couple extra washers and some thread lock on it if you can't figure it out.
Old 06-26-16, 09:47 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Did you buy a TB kit? Measure the thickness of the old pump and new one at that bolt hole. I've encountered slight part variances but not that much. Check the bolt for cross threading.
Old 06-26-16, 10:35 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

I'm still stumped. I took the bolts right off the old bracket and transferred to the new. I can't measure or see any difference between the old part and new. The right and left bolts are the same. I cleaned the bolt threads and it threads in smoothly right up until the end

My only thought is that I got something in the hole when I was cleaning the sealant off to mount the new water pump. I sprayed brake cleaner in and tried to flush it out but no luck.

At this point I'm just going to add a couple of washers. I still have plenty of thread engagement.
Old 06-26-16, 12:19 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I'd probably do the same thing. A couple of things to consider:

- the feeling from a bolt that gets tight due to thread problems should be very different from one that bottoms out. It sounds from your first description like it was bottoming out. Right?

- also, I'll second (third?) the suggestion that the fan bracket casting may be different. When I replaced mine, I found a few errors, one of them requiring me to cut off part of it. So if the casting is thinner at that location, it would cause the bolt to maybe bottom out. If that is the problem, then you can be confident that the washers are solving the problem nicely, although a shorter bolt would be better.
Old 06-26-16, 05:02 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Well......

After giving up and resigning myself to inserting two washers to make up the difference, I then got around to the timing belt cover on that side.....Yeap.... It goes under that bolt! Mystery solved.

Another issue though. I ordered everything from Rock Auto, including the serpentine belt tensioner.

Anyone see what's wrong with this picture?

That's right.... Ordered right piece. Received right box. What's inside box does not belong.

Have to send back to Rock Auto and wait 5-7 business days for right part.

Luckily, I'm really in no hurry to finish this.

Last edited by ejthomp; 06-26-16 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-26-16, 07:26 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I just got done changing out a 96 timing belt change yesterday and I still couldn't help you. How quickly one forgets. I let the water pump dry over night and had "borrowed" some bolts from other spots to keep tension on all the bolt holes. That caused me some consternation the next day trying to remember where I had borrowed them from. Good luck, nothing like turning the key for the first time after a belt change and grinning as it fires right up.

Last edited by jaaa; 06-26-16 at 07:29 PM.