LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 Trans Slip ONLY after decelerating?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-16, 07:52 PM
sayow
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 98 Trans Slip ONLY after decelerating?!

So my wife has a 98 LS and reported to me that the car was acting weird when shifting. So I took the car for the entire day and confirmed that it shifts perfectly through all gears when accelerating but if you are say in traffic and slowing down and re-accelerating (typical stop and go traffic) the car will rev slightly (slip?) when going from 1st to 2nd gear.

I can make it happen every time but only in the above scenario. Any ideas or similar experiences and feedback would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-16, 09:26 PM
brybo86
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any background info?
Trans maintenance , fluid changes? Fluid level?

Were u waiting for someone to ask before telling us?
Old 06-17-16, 10:54 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

In what gears? Its flaring when shifting up. Sticky shift valve, solenoid, low line pressure, dirty screen, old fluid, just some things I can think of. Then theres the ecu stuff. Address what brybo86 says first then let us know how its going. How many miles on it?
Old 06-17-16, 11:26 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Believe it or not, it's often caused by the clogged throttle body and the air mix passage. It's not caused by the transmission.

There are many 98-00 owners who suffer that. Search the Forum and you'll find them.
Here's an example.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post8906720
Old 06-18-16, 06:46 AM
sayow
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Yamae
Believe it or not, it's often caused by the clogged throttle body and the air mix passage. It's not caused by the transmission.

There are many 98-00 owners who suffer that. Search the Forum and you'll find them.
Here's an example.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post8906720
That is EXACTLY how her LS is behaving! Thank you for the information!!
Old 06-18-16, 10:16 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

So improper signal to ecu from clogged throttle body, I got it covered with the ecu stuff.
Old 06-22-16, 09:41 AM
sayow
Pit Crew

I threw a can of Techron in her for the week to see if that will clear it up. If not I will get into the throttle body this weekend and do some manual work.
Old 06-22-16, 10:47 AM
alien1974
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does this too, try putting it in 3 when slowing down or in traffic, that sorted it for me.
Old 06-23-16, 08:52 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Yesterday, I took off the intake plenum assembly and sprayed/wiped down the inside of the throttle body. I then took off the plate just above the TB opening (2 brass screws) and it was CAKED with sludge. I sprayed the area, including down each hole on either side (putting the straw down the hole as far as possible) and then wiped down everything, including the underside of the plate.

I now have a car that works perfectly. Consistent idling and low speed behavior, no more tranny "slippage". My daily drive through the parking garage is much more pleasant.

I even identified a couple of hoses that had become split and is probably affecting MPG.

Thanks, gang!
Old 06-23-16, 09:02 AM
alien1974
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

out of interest which hoses are gone, as it could be them causing problems too, mine has the same idle and low speed behavoir, i cleaned my TB and the air pass when i got the car, but to no avail, it only idles properly when the AC is on.

Last edited by alien1974; 06-23-16 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-23-16, 02:00 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by alien1974
out of interest which hoses are gone, as it could be them causing problems too, mine has the same idle and low speed behavoir, i cleaned my TB and the air pass when i got the car, but to no avail, it only idles properly when the AC is on.
One hose is at the rear of the engine, at the top, and it goes into the air chamber connected to the intake plenum going to the throttle body, located on the left side of the engine,

The other one is on the right side of the air chamber, near the front by the intake air section, The nipple has actually broken off the air chamber, so I am going to try some PVC cement on that.
Old 06-23-16, 02:09 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

my 98 does this as well.
It seems these 5-speed transmissions up-shift very quickly.
Toyota Type IV tranny fluid is new, new filter as well
I've cleaned my throttle body and air mix path and have seen minimal results so far.

Maybe it has something to do with shift valves & solenoids getting old/going bad?
Old 06-23-16, 02:50 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Aren't these a gas pedal by wire car? It could be the pedal resister too.
Old 06-23-16, 10:01 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by sayow
I threw a can of Techron in her for the week to see if that will clear it up. If not I will get into the throttle body this weekend and do some manual work.
The Techron only cleans the fuel passages. It has no capability to clean the air mix passages. Simply do as MngreLMatt has done.
Old 06-23-16, 10:10 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Yesterday, I took off the intake plenum assembly and sprayed/wiped down the inside of the throttle body. I then took off the plate just above the TB opening (2 brass screws) and it was CAKED with sludge. I sprayed the area, including down each hole on either side (putting the straw down the hole as far as possible) and then wiped down everything, including the underside of the plate.

I now have a car that works perfectly. Consistent idling and low speed behavior, no more tranny "slippage". My daily drive through the parking garage is much more pleasant.

I even identified a couple of hoses that had become split and is probably affecting MPG.

Thanks, gang!
Congratulations on your success, Daspyda. The problem is rather common but it seems to me that many people don't know the fact and advices given from them are a bit off from the actual problem.

Quick Reply: 98 Trans Slip ONLY after decelerating?!