LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1999 Lexus LS400 Sunroof & Diagnostic Tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 01:56 PM
gator22888
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Lexus LS400 Sunroof & Diagnostic Tool

Good Afternoon,

I own a 1999 Lexus LS400. I replaced the battery and have read a lot of threads regarding the sunroof reset after replacing the battery. Currently my warning indicators say "Moonroof Open" even though it is shut. Also the sunroof will not open all the way when attempting to Tilt or open the sunroof; you have to hit the open button and it opens about an inch every time the button is pressed. Reading on clublexus and other articles, it appears that the 1999 Lexus LS400 require that the scan diagnostic tool be plugged in and a reset must be done to "Reset the Moonroof" after the change in battery.

I have read a few posts from Lexmark and other major contributors about the scan tool in general, but I have not come across this particular issue. My question is, first, does anyone know the tool and software program I can purchase online to complete this myself rather than paying an hour of labor at the Toyota Dealership. There are many online, but with few reviews and no information in regards to resetting the sunroof. Secondly, has anyone gone through this before and has any advice regarding resetting the moonroof through the scan diagnostic tool and program?

FYI - unless someone knows something I do not, pressing the button configuration and holding the tilt button and moonroof open button do not reset the 1999 Lexus', per my research this is the only way (scanner and diagnostic tool).

Thanks for the replies in advance!

Last edited by gator22888; 06-08-16 at 01:59 PM. Reason: missing information
Old 06-08-16, 03:26 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Most people are using something like this..
Amazon.com: Fotga Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software Model: ZB031 Car/Vehicle Accessories/Parts: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Fotga Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software Model: ZB031 Car/Vehicle Accessories/Parts: Cell Phones & Accessories

Not recommending it and have not affiliation or ever used it. But this is what you're looking for.
Old 06-08-16, 04:26 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I thought when you purchase a subscription to the Toyota tech site you get use of the techstream or what ever it is called?
Old 06-08-16, 07:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no, techstream is a dealer only product that was sold for use with people using a specific cable known as the "Mongoose" by DrewTech. The ones you see all over amazon/ebay are fakes with pirated copies of the software sold with them. The actual Mongoose and techstream was ~$500.

http://www.drewtech.com/mongoose/toyota2.html
Old 06-08-16, 10:53 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo....toyota.com%2F

Look at the center column, "Professional Diagnostic" It says you get Techstream scan tool software with that subscription.
Old 06-09-16, 04:32 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo....toyota.com%2F

Look at the center column, "Professional Diagnostic" It says you get Techstream scan tool software with that subscription.
That's the service level for dealerships and Shops, not consumers. Your standard code reader won't work with that level even if you purchase the sub. You would need a pro scan tool or a Mongoose.

Subscription Type Details
A Standard TIS subscription provides access to the technical information library for all Toyota, Scion, and Lexus vehicles marketed in North America. A Standard subscription allows vehicle model and year specific publication searches for the information needed to maintain, diagnose, and repair all Toyota, Lexus, or Scion. As a general rule, model coverage begins with the 1990 model year with some information, like Technical Service Bulletins, available back to 1987. For model year specific content, click here.
A Professional Diagnostic TIS subscription provides the same access to the technical information library provided with the Standard subscription. A Professional Diagnostic subscription also allows download of Techstream software and all current ECU calibration files. Package a Professional Diagnostic subscription with a Techstream or Mongoose to fully enable scantool diagnostics and vehicle reprogramming capability. For more information on scantools and vehicle reprogramming, click here.
Note: Techstream software use is limited to one PC per each professional level subscription. You must purchase additional professional level subscriptions to use Techstream software on additional PCs.
A Security Professional TIS subscription provides the same access provided with the Professional Diagnostic subscription along with access to vehicle security information, including key codes and immobilizer/smart reset capability. Before you can purchase this subscription level, you must be a current member of the NASTF Vehicle Security Professional Registry. For more details and requirements, click here.
Old 06-09-16, 06:03 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default That sucks

Ouch! I hate hearing about this, since I also have a '99. Is it possible that the 98-00 series have volatile ECU memory issues that are now developing, for peripherals like the moon roof, tilt steering wheel, windows, etc., where physical position data is being dumped whenever the battery voltage is lost? Lots of problems in these areas seem to be reported right after changing the battery. Coincidence??
Maybe there is a large capacitor(s) somewhere that has died or degraded, and loses memory settings. I'd really like to know, if there is a way to avoid these issues.
Steve
Old 06-11-16, 09:34 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

For what it's worth, I've never had any issues with my '98 after changing batteries other than losing my radio presets. I've regularly disconnected it whenever working on stuff too.
Old 06-14-16, 10:18 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a little offtopic, but i purchased one of those 20$ cables for my LS...doesnt work worth a crap.
similar to Ross tech cables for VWs...only the real ones seem to work.

I do have to do some reprogramming on my 00 though, as it seems to have lost seat and steering wheel memory when inserting the key.