LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Trouble removing lower manifold to replace starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-16, 04:31 PM
arnaudfabs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FINALLY DONE! SOOO HAPPY!!

It took me and some precious help 3 weeks to do it (Researching, reading, troubleshooting, asking for help, getting help etc) but i had NEVER did mechanics before (just changing oil, coolant, air filter and the ECU on the passenger side inside the car, that was my experience... )

The car is rebuilt but i do have a piece that I have no idea where to put. PLEASE SEE PICTURES BELOW and I would appreciate your help on this...

As of right now, the car cranks with multiple fast clicks and i imagine that either this missing piece is causing it AND/OR the battery needs to be recharged but it all looks great. The missing piece needs to be put back though

It can absolutely be done with basic tools since I did not have the Snap On Ratcheting Crowfoot wrench AND I had the Ratcheting with Flex head but it was very painful to use and was not really efficient since the tool I had was kind of cheap and the flexing head was too loose and the stick too short. We bent a regular flat wrench and levered it with another stick tool to access the 2 small bolts on the rear and a regular wrench for the 2 big bolts of the starter.

Removing the coolant metal bridge was really the most painful and the most rewarding thing to remove.

Old 06-13-16, 09:14 PM
brybo86
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats dude you have joined the ELITE club of people who have actually replaced the starter themselves.....

although it doesn't count until it actually starts,

hopefully you don't have your distributor caps reversed

but I have no idea what that extra part is for, sorry.... take a few more pictures of it and post them, what do the letters say?

EDIT i think it bolts up to the bottom of the coolant bridge

Last edited by brybo86; 06-13-16 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-13-16, 09:39 PM
brybo86
Driver

bruh
looks like it goes between the TPS sensors,

its a DASH POT SUB-ASSEMBLY 2220250040 some kind of air dampener

WHERE'S my PRIZE?

Last edited by brybo86; 06-13-16 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-15-16, 07:44 PM
arnaudfabs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brybo86

bruh
looks like it goes between the TPS sensors,

its a DASH POT SUB-ASSEMBLY 2220250040 some kind of air dampener

WHERE'S my PRIZE?
Thanks! It does not look like we have the same layout tho, but thank for the name of the piece, i will research where it goes on my car.

EDIT: Yes, it goes there it is just slightly different on mine. I found a picture online, do you see it?

Last edited by arnaudfabs; 06-15-16 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-15-16, 08:03 PM
brybo86
Driver

Originally Posted by arnaudfabs
Thanks! It does not look like we have the same layout tho, but thank for the name of the piece, i will research where it goes on my car.

EDIT: Yes, it goes there it is just slightly different on mine. I found a picture online, do you see it?

Your picture is the same as my first pic except you have some kind of aftermarket TPS sensor so it "looks" different.
Old 06-15-16, 08:29 PM
arnaudfabs
Driver School Candidate

That's not a picture of my car though but it does look the same on mine.
Old 06-16-16, 12:03 AM
arnaudfabs
Driver School Candidate

My car finally started and ran!!

The starter is kind of really noisy compared to the old one, I don't know what's that about, if it's because it's new or something else...
Old 06-16-16, 06:06 AM
brybo86
Driver

The starter is kind of really noisy compared to the old one, I don't know what's that about, if it's because it's new or something else...
Take a video and post on YouTube.
What brand of starter did you use? Denso reman?
Old 06-16-16, 09:09 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Did you test the starter before you installed it? If you'd put 12 volts to the starter and watched out how fast and hard it went out- it might have told you something. That's the first thing I did to my new starter, because there was no way I was putting it on there without a pre-test.
Old 06-19-16, 09:12 AM
arnaudfabs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jaaa
Did you test the starter before you installed it? If you'd put 12 volts to the starter and watched out how fast and hard it went out- it might have told you something. That's the first thing I did to my new starter, because there was no way I was putting it on there without a pre-test.
The starter is fine, car starts good it's just it's not the same brand so the sound is slightly different but i will get used to it.

I have another problem though, i noticed that my coolant liquid which i almost never touched in 2 years i have had the car is now emptying like crazy. I already added 2 full gallons in almost 3 days.

I have a leak somewhere... I think it might be the coolant bridge... bummer...

When we rebuilt the car, that night after driving to the store and back (2 miles), when the car was stopped i noticed a sound from under the hood, I looked at it and saw a hose going to the front that was not clamped well, I fixed that. Some liquid was leaking everywhere.

i don't see or hear any leaks and today I saw my temperature Gage skyrocket to HOT. Checked my coolant and it was empty so I refilled it to the top

I went to buy more coolant and a coolant sealer but I read that i should fix the leak instead of pouring this stuff... it could be a temporary fix until i find the real leak, i don't know...

Any help where this leak could be? It just appeared because of the starter fix project If it's the coolant bridge oh well i will have to fix that
Old 06-19-16, 09:38 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

The starter is fine, car starts good it's just it's not the same brand so the sound is slightly different but i will get used to it.

I have another problem though, i noticed that my coolant liquid which i almost never touched in 2 years i have had the car is now emptying like crazy. I already added 2 full gallons in almost 3 days.

I have a leak somewhere... I think it might be the coolant bridge... bummer...

When we rebuilt the car, that night after driving to the store and back (2 miles), when the car was stopped i noticed a sound from under the hood, I looked at it and saw a hose going to the front that was not clamped well, I fixed that. Some liquid was leaking everywhere.

i don't see or hear any leaks and today I saw my temperature Gage skyrocket to HOT. Checked my coolant and it was empty so I refilled it to the top

I went to buy more coolant and a coolant sealer but I read that i should fix the leak instead of pouring this stuff... it could be a temporary fix until i find the real leak, i don't know...

Any help where this leak could be? It just appeared because of the starter fix project If it's the coolant bridge oh well i will have to fix that
You might check out the replay I made to the guy with coolant problems on the post above. I had coolant leaks right after I replaced my starter and it turned out to be the coolant pipe the runs the length of the engine valley and goes into the waterpump had busted a seal(while I was horsing around with removing a coolant hose). Check to see if there is coolant in the valley of your engine.
Old 06-19-16, 09:50 AM
arnaudfabs
Driver School Candidate

You might check out the replay I made to the guy with coolant problems on the post above. I had coolant leaks right after I replaced my starter and it turned out to be the coolant pipe the runs the length of the engine valley and goes into the waterpump had busted a seal(while I was horsing around with removing a coolant hose). Check to see if there is coolant in the valley of your engine.
Thanks, reading it!
Old 06-21-16, 08:49 AM
arnaudfabs
Driver School Candidate

Last time I ran the car and checked under the hood i looked a that coolant pipe, I did see some condensation on it - I don't know if it's normal or not.

I still have a lot of coolant loss. Just took the car 1 hour ago and filled the coolant reservoir to high and did approx 10 miles. Opened the hood when i got back and the coolant was almost all gone from reservoir. Needle stayed normal during my ride.

Do you recommend doing a coolant test with UV light and dye?

I looked 3 times in the holes below the manifolds where the starter is and it is looking very dry.
Old 06-21-16, 11:29 AM
arnaudfabs
Driver School Candidate

I checked the engine oil, it looks ok, no coolant in it.

Here are some pictures:

Old 06-23-16, 09:55 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

did you properly bleed the coolant system? you introduced air into it when removing the coolant bridge so a proper bleed is in order.

how many gallons did you add already?

Quick Reply: Trouble removing lower manifold to replace starter