LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Cell phone antenna removal/ use spot for sirrus antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-16, 10:02 PM
hairdrmstk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cell phone antenna removal/ use spot for sirrus antenna?

Hi all. How do you remove the cell phone antenna, and could I use this spot for a satellite antenna, or wouldn't this work? Thanks
Old 05-22-16, 11:07 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

In the day if you needed to replace the rear window then you had to remove and transfer the antenna to the new one. So yes it can be removed. I don't remember the procedure.
Old 05-22-16, 01:47 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Both the inside and outside portions of the cell phone on a gen 1 LS400 are stuck to the glass with adhesive. You might try heating the parts with a hair dryer and gently pry the parts off the glass. There is a little bracket above the back of the headliner that the antenna cable can be attached to after it unplugged from the inside antenna element.

Sat radio antennas are usually put on the exterior body work. When Lexus dealers installed sat radio antennas on the LS430, the antenna was attached to an edge of the trunk lid like shown at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...-a-medium-.jpg
Old 05-22-16, 03:32 PM
hairdrmstk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
Both the inside and outside portions of the cell phone on a gen 1 LS400 are stuck to the glass with adhesive. You might try heating the parts with a hair dryer and gently pry the parts off the glass. There is a little bracket above the back of the headliner that the antenna cable can be attached to after it unplugged from the inside antenna element.

Sat radio antennas are usually put on the exterior body work. When Lexus dealers installed sat radio antennas on the LS430, the antenna was attached to an edge of the trunk lid like shown at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...-a-medium-.jpg
Thanks. That location looks pretty terrible to me, but not real thrilled to drill hole in roof either. Might have to skip the sirrus, but would sure like to have it. Thanks again to all the answers, and if anyone else has some ideas, that would be great.
Old 05-22-16, 06:30 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Why not just use the spot the factory radio antenna uses. Just make a grommet to fit the existing hole, and install the new antenna there.
Old 05-22-16, 09:43 PM
hairdrmstk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
Why not just use the spot the factory radio antenna uses. Just make a grommet to fit the existing hole, and install the new antenna there.
Two different antennas. The original power antenna or any other vehicle antenna work independent of the Sirius ones. It would be nice if they all worked off of one.
Old 05-23-16, 03:02 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

I thought it was a total replacement for the factory radio unit.
Old 05-23-16, 09:10 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Professional installers often get the sat radio antenna cable to the exterior by somehow pushing it between the rear window gasket and the rear edge of the roof at the top center of the rear window and then attaching the antenna to the roof just forward of the rear window center. I've seen countless cars with sat radio antennas installed this way. I assume that the sat radio antenna is stuck to the roof with adhesive.

Some LS430 owners have put their sat radio antenna on the "parcel shelf" under the rear window and gotten decent enough reception. I remember one person hiding his sat radio antenna inside the high mounted brake light housing.

There is also a SiriusXM smart phone app that works well if you have decent cell phone service although I found that it consumed a large amount of data when I did a free trial of it early this year. Reception through the SiriusXM smart phone app was better than with the "satellite" version which largely relies on land based signal repeaters. Sat radio drops due to overpasses, buildings, hills and trees obstructing the signal but that never happened with the smart phone version.

I wouldn't currently have XM sat radio active in my Sienna if I hadn't been given another free trial a few months ago when I had the van in for its 30K service and then been offered a $5/month promotional rate. If I can't renew the promotional rate when it expires, I strongly doubt I'm going to pay the $15/month regular rate. I'm already paying $4/month to get Pandora commercial free and we end up listening to the free Tunein radio service through my phone most of the time on road trips. Tunein radio has over 100,000 stations all over the world.

IMO, the only way SiriusXM is going to survive is to reduce prices to attract more customers and compete with the huge number of phone based audio streaming options.