LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1996 LS400 Remove Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-16, 04:10 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1996 LS400 Remove Radio

So I was looking online for tutorials on how to remove a radio on my 1996 ls400 but no one seems to have a tutorial on it. All I am trying to do is access the antenna cable so I can hook up my XM radio. Can someone explain how how to remove it?

Thanks

PS: I did attempt to take out the wood in the center console but it is tight in there and I don't want to break it.
Old 05-15-16, 04:33 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 253 Likes on 200 Posts

Here is a YouTube video:

There are a number of threads on this forum on how to remove the radio - I supplied one of them.
Old 05-15-16, 04:58 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kansas
Here is a YouTube video: How to Lexus LS400 car radio Stereo Removal 1995 - 2000 replace repair display - YouTube

There are a number of threads on this forum on how to remove the radio - I supplied one of them.
Yea that is one of the videos I watched but I am stuck at removing the center wood console. I try to pry it up but it wont budge and I am not going to but so much force into it until it breaks. Is there a certain place to pry it so it will just pop right off?
Old 05-15-16, 05:47 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Use a small flat screw driver at rear sides pry it up.
Old 05-15-16, 09:19 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dicer
Use a small flat screw driver at rear sides pry it up.
Ok so I got the rear to pop off now how to I get the front of it? Where should I pry so the thing wont break?
Old 05-15-16, 09:37 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Ok I got the wood unit off thanks for the help guys, however I have ran into a new situation. As in the video I did try to look for the clips on the side with the AC vents but could not find them. Is there some other way of taking the AC vents out? Is there a way I can remove the vent shielding so I can access the clips easier?

Thanks
Old 05-16-16, 03:15 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

So you then figured that the shifter wood panel slides back some to remove after its pryed up.
You use a medium size screw driver and pry the AC vent at the top and yes it kinda pushes in on the dash panel some just becareful and easy, you have to kinda move it around to remove it after the clips come out.
I'm a gen 1 person so not super sure about the Gen 2 stuff. To remove ash tray I first remove the tray itself and then just use my fingers / hand to pull back on the whole unit, it snaps in with the same clips and is not real easy to yank out, and not much area to pry on either. Remember both the ac vent and ash tray have electric connections. Make sure battery is disconnected before doing all this. 4 small bolts hold in the radio head unit that has the climate control attached to it, and lots of wire connections to them both, use clean rags on everything to protect the opening etc. when dealing with unplugging the connectors.
Old 05-16-16, 11:38 AM
winter4w
Intermediate

So you then figured that the shifter wood panel slides back some to remove after its pryed up.
You use a medium size screw driver and pry the AC vent at the top and yes it kinda pushes in on the dash panel some just becareful and easy, you have to kinda move it around to remove it after the clips come out.
I'm a gen 1 person so not super sure about the Gen 2 stuff. To remove ash tray I first remove the tray itself and then just use my fingers / hand to pull back on the whole unit, it snaps in with the same clips and is not real easy to yank out, and not much area to pry on either. Remember both the ac vent and ash tray have electric connections. Make sure battery is disconnected before doing all this. 4 small bolts hold in the radio head unit that has the climate control attached to it, and lots of wire connections to them both, use clean rags on everything to protect the opening etc. when dealing with unplugging the connectors.
Ya the ash tray is part of the wood console. This is what the interior looks like on the 1996 ls400

I am not sure tho if I pry the AC vents off or if there are small slots for me to pull it out?
Old 05-16-16, 12:19 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Update: well I found out I was able to just pull it out of the AC vents :P

So I was able to unscrew all the bolts to get the radio out but there is this clip at the bottom and she is really tight in there. Any ways for me to push it out?

Thanks
Old 05-16-16, 04:07 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Wow yeah that's a whole different deal there.
Old 05-16-16, 04:25 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Wow yeah that's a whole different deal there.
Well I was able to get the radio out and install it. I took it to a place where they said they will take it out for free since I did most of the work however even when they tried to take it out the black clip broke off. I guess the black clip is no that big of a deal since the screw bolts are the main thing to hold it in. I tested it out and yep it works I can listen to my XM radio crystal clear with no popping or static. I can even still listen to the FM stations in my area however the weaker stations I will need to turn of the XM unit to listen to. If you guys want me to post pictures on how I got it hooked up I will be happy to do that

Also should I be worried about the black clip or is it useless?