LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Stereo help

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-16, 11:40 AM
hairdrmstk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo help

Hi guys, new to this, and I'm sure it's been discussed. But is there anywhere info on here that has a run down on how to remove the trim pieces to run wires to trunk from front in a 92 ls? I've found the info on removing stereo, amp, cd changer. (It's a Nak,) but nothing on how to remove these pieces. I don't want to mess these up, my car only has 19000 miles. Thanks
Old 04-20-16, 03:32 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Its a shame to do any mod on that car if its in top shape. Its a time capsule. As soon as a new hole is drilled there goes the value. Really in another 20 years you will wish you took the best of care for it. Just like people that kept some of the old computers and games. They are going for crazy prices now. Other wise need pics of the trim pieces.
Old 04-20-16, 06:07 PM
timmy0tool

Received 427 Likes on 381 Posts

it is not the easiest thing to run wires to the trunk. for one the rear seat needs to be removed to see where to pass the wires. the kick panels across the door thresholds you just pry up with a tool. use plastic trim removers to do this, cheap place to get them is harbor freight!
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-67021.html

running the power cable to the battery is the most difficult i think. here is what i did to run my power wire for my air ride, which is similar in running a power wire of an amp. i have a 97 which may slightly differ from your 92 but you get the idea.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tup-ucf20.html
Old 04-20-16, 09:10 PM
hairdrmstk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. Yeah, so many people said I should keep the car stock. I'm the one who bought the 18000 mile ls on ebay a few months ago. I really like the car, and want to drive the car, not wait 20 years to see if it's worth anything. More cars are worth nothing than car being collectors. I just bought an older Dodge Viper with 6000 miles, and I plan on driving that too. Thanks for the link to your air suspension conversion. The running of the power wire was exactly what I needed. I'm going to take out the back seat anyway to install coilovers. And before anyone freaks, I'm just doing a mild 1.5 inch drop during the summer, and going back to stock/ winter set up. So thanks again
Old 04-21-16, 11:19 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

so you are going to hack it up.... fail.
Old 04-21-16, 12:07 PM
hairdrmstk
Driver School Candidate

I guess I'll be a failure. How will I sleep at night. So with all things I've done to this car, I'm in it for 12k. Yeah, I overpaid, but it's a sweet car. Anyone who wants to stop me can buy it for that. But for all the critics, if you truly love the car they way you say you do, why no takers? Money? What? The integrity of the beloved ls makes it imparitive that you save it before I "hack it up." Or you can be helpful like the guys who don't agree, but still help out anyway.
Old 04-21-16, 05:33 PM
dabrook
Driver School Candidate

I like your attitude. Enjoy the car as you see fit. Hell, my next car will be a classic 325is, and I plan on driving the thing to death just as I do with my 93 LS
Old 04-21-16, 06:01 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Gosh if it was me I'd go buy a 2000 or 3000 one and hack it up, its going to be the same enjoyable car.
Then I'd say yeah enjoy the blank out of it.
Yeah sorry but makes no sense since other cheaper and not pristine ones are so readily available.
I for get how much was it?
Old 04-25-16, 11:40 PM
Schramm
Driver School Candidate

If you run any wires through the firewall, make sure to use the same points of entrance as the OEM wiring harness. Stay away from the engine ECU wires if you can to avoid electrical interference. Unwrap the electrical tape around the rubber boot, feed cable through, and wrap it back up with some high temp silicone electrical tape to seal. Do not drill through the firewall. Most Lexus vehicles are double walled with mass loaded silicates and heavy minerals sandwiched between the firewall sheet metal for sound proofing.
Old 04-26-16, 08:20 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hairdrmstk
I guess I'll be a failure. How will I sleep at night. So with all things I've done to this car, I'm in it for 12k. Yeah, I overpaid, but it's a sweet car. Anyone who wants to stop me can buy it for that. But for all the critics, if you truly love the car they way you say you do, why no takers? Money? What? The integrity of the beloved ls makes it imparitive that you save it before I "hack it up." Or you can be helpful like the guys who don't agree, but still help out anyway.
Don't mind Dicer - he rains on everyone's parade. I imagine him as that grumpy old guy who goes to car shows only to frown at everyone and go "boy, you really messed that car up", etc. Oh, and it's funny that he thinks our cars will be sought-after collectors items someday like a Ferrari. Newsflash: the modders and enthusiasts are the one's who will keep the LS spirit alive. To the rest of the world it's a pretty decent luxury sedan that's already been forgotten. Get over it.

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 04-26-16 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-26-16, 01:17 PM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I did this about a year ago, when I installed a back-up camera. I ran the wire through the trunk lid, under carpet, then tied it with zip ties to the left hinge (with other wires there), and then towards the rear shelf and then under the rear shelf - there is just enough space there to run a wire. Don't try to modify the rear wall, it is all tightly glued together there, not a good idea I think.
Then you have to take out the rear seat, and run it behind the rear seat backrest, also on the driver's side of the car, and then down to the floor, take out the plastic trim on the floor (get those trim pieces removal tools from Harbor freight for a few bucks), and all the way to the driver's foot well. The hardest part for me was going from the foot well to the stereo - there is a bit of space there, but it is very crammed, and the only reason why I could do it was thanks to the read plastic wire-like tool that I bought at Harbor Freight that is used for that exact purpose - to sneak it through tight spaces, with the wire attached to it. Otherwise without it - the job is impossible.
Old 04-26-16, 01:52 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I've been looking for a pristine one. 12K what have you done to it? I want one that has never had someone do anything to it. Kinda like that 3000 mile one a year ago or so. I was really thinking hard about it, but the problem is I want ALL the options maybe minus the phone but its okay too. That car had zero options if I remember correctly.
Old 04-26-16, 01:57 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PM me your contact info. I'm going to toyotafest next month and maybe someone there will have an "unmolested" LS for you. Lol
Old 04-26-16, 10:32 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Don't mind Dicer - he rains on everyone's parade. I imagine him as that grumpy old guy who goes to car shows only to frown at everyone and go "boy, you really messed that car up", etc. Oh, and it's funny that he thinks our cars will be sought-after collectors items someday like a Ferrari. Newsflash: the modders and enthusiasts are the one's who will keep the LS spirit alive. To the rest of the world it's a pretty decent luxury sedan that's already been forgotten. Get over it.
Hiroshi......Shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-16, 07:35 AM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
I've been looking for a pristine one.
Crawl the Texas, Arizona, and Florida craigslists. They are there. Lots of old people there that bought new and held on to them, and the bonus is the cars there never saw snow and salt. The downside is that Lexus left out the heated seats in those markets.

Quick Reply: Stereo help