LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

new to me ls400. code 13 of course

Old 04-11-16, 09:38 AM
GriffinLS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to me ls400. code 13 of course

just got car, she's a beauty but looks to have some of the common issues.

with just drivers CPS plugged in..hard to start but drives just fine..think the PO has been doing this for quite a while. pass side CPS was unplugged..plugged it in and got horrible erratic idle but..much easier starting. so..been driving it around with just drivers CPS plugged in. will this cause any issues? I haven't done any multimeter tests yet on CPS or continuity on harness. I've seen the posts here on that and ECM caps.
car has 227k and timing belt plus engine rebuild for lower end noise at 154k. I didn't get anymore info than that. engine sounds great but vibrates occasionally at idle running on one CPS.
Old 04-11-16, 06:09 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Code 13 RPM signal no 2. Yeah its unplugged !
Wow didn't think it would run on all holes with one unplugged. This one needs some study. Like to hear what Yamae says.
Old 04-11-16, 06:42 PM
GriffinLS4
Driver School Candidate

yeah it runs quite well with one unplugged..only issues are an occasional rough idle... as in engine shaking from a bad motor mount. no rpm flux. and hard starting..usually I crank it 3 seconds and if it doesn't catch I turn off and crank again and it catches. plugged in it catches fine but horrible idle with rpm jumping.

yeah hope he chimes in, read the entire ecm thread and will be checking that ripple test and likely just sending it out for recapping. I dig this car.
Old 04-11-16, 06:44 PM
GriffinLS4
Driver School Candidate

I'm guessing its running on a limp mode when it not getting two CPS inputs.
Old 04-13-16, 06:49 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Judging from your words, I imagine that the timing belt or the ECU has some problem. The timing belt may be skipped, loose or missing tooth / the ECU may have too much ripples.

Before I write more, I must inform you two signal names. Toyota/Lexus named the signal from the cam position sensor "Signal-G" and signal from the crank position sensor "Signal-Ne".

The engine doesn't need the "Signal-G" to start. The "Signal-Ne" is used to start the engine since it is the source of the IGT (IGnition Triggering signal). But 5 seconds after the engine start, it will be forced to stop when "Signal-G"s are not there at all judging that the timing belt is broken, cut or both cam shafts are stuck. The "Signal G"s here mean the 2 separate signals from the both cam position sensors. In case one of "signal-G"s is obtained, the engine can be managed to run. I assume this is your situation.

Remember that when the timing belt is totally broken, there's no way for cam shafts to rotate and the ECU stops the fuel supply opening the "Circuit Opening Relay" in 5 seconds. But one of "Signal G"s is obtained, it simply means that the timing belt is there and cam shafts are rotating.

Last edited by Yamae; 04-13-16 at 06:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (02-05-20)
Old 04-13-16, 10:59 AM
GriffinLS4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
Judging from your words, I imagine that the timing belt or the ECU has some problem. The timing belt may be skipped, loose or missing tooth / the ECU may have too much ripples.

Before I write more, I must inform you two signal names. Toyota/Lexus named the signal from the cam position sensor "Signal-G" and signal from the crank position sensor "Signal-Ne".

The engine doesn't need the "Signal-G" to start. The "Signal-Ne" is used to start the engine since it is the source of the IGT (IGnition Triggering signal). But 5 seconds after the engine start, it will be forced to stop when "Signal-G"s are not there at all judging that the timing belt is broken, cut or both cam shafts are stuck. The "Signal G"s here mean the 2 separate signals from the both cam position sensors. In case one of "signal-G"s is obtained, the engine can be managed to run. I assume this is your ssituation
that makes sense. I shall do a ripple test asap and hope that's the problem. it could be loose..I discovered some..sigh..duct tape behind the crank pulley.. pulled out..very dry..apparently they felt that was a proper replacement for a lower timing cover.
Old 04-13-16, 11:00 AM
GriffinLS4
Driver School Candidate

..and thank you for your reply!!