LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2000 LS400 memory function, door locks and mirrors don't work

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 07:54 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2000 LS400 memory function, door locks and mirrors don't work

Yesterday, everything worked on the car. This morning i noticed two issues when I drove the 2000 LS400. The steering wheel did not come down (adjustments still function) and the mirrors did not auto tilt in reverse. After I dropped my son off at day school I checked other functions. Here is a list of what doesn't work.

1. Mirrors don't move (auto tilt or manual pwr)
2. Door locks don't work
3. Only the driver window functions
4. Remote doesn't lock or unlock car (trunk still opens with remote)
5. Memory seats don't work
6. Steering wheel doesn't automatically adjust (manual does)
7. Driver side seatbelt height adjuster doesn't work. (passenger works)
8. 1 touch function for sunroof does not work (must keep button depressed to open fully like 1st gens)
9. Dome light doesn't come on when door is open (switch is on "DOOR". Light functions on "ON")

I pulled and visually inspected all the fuses under the hood.
I already searched for this issue but couldn't find anything specific to LS400's

Anybody got any ideas?

This is the first electrical issue i've had with this LS400. We have had it for almost 6 years.

Last edited by omarg; 04-07-16 at 08:27 AM. Reason: better title
Old 04-07-16, 09:02 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

I dont know if this would help, but have you tried to see if it has any codes?
Old 04-07-16, 11:32 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Check you body ECU and wiring. Fuses? Has it rained there recently? I have observed clogged moonroof drain tube which caused water to overflow across roofside headliner and drip down behind right front windshield pillar molding onto body wiring connectors located near right front footwell side kick panel.
Old 04-07-16, 11:49 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you need to check fuses before anything else. Under the dash and in the engine bay.
Old 04-07-16, 12:46 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

I have been dealing with minor leaks when it rains heavily. I recently cleaned the drains but i will check that area ASAP. Hopefully the body ECU is ok.

I will check the fuses with a multimeter and report back.

Thanks for the pointers guys!
Old 04-07-16, 05:16 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Pay particular attention to the fuses at upper left.

Old 04-08-16, 07:02 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

First of all, my problem seems to be solved. I think some fuses had the slightest corrosion which blocked the electricity through the fuse. I took every single fuse out, visually inspected and then tested with the multimeter. All of the fuses checked out. None were blown. All looked original. 16 years and 232k without a blown fuse is amazing!

Aptoslexus, that is a great diagram! where did you get it? I checked radio #2 and pwr ig fuses. they were fine. I could not find a fuse labeled MPX under the hood or under the dash.

Puredrifter, I initially only visually inspected the fuses but today i Itook a multimeter to every fuse. They all checked out but some had a tiny amount of surface corrosion on the contact points.

Yodaone, thanks so much for the suggestion on the water leak. I tore up my interior and found the passenger side front footwell with standing water. The electrical connections look ok. Is there something I can spray on the connections to help prevent corrosion? Also, I removed the A pillar trim along with the front headliner to inspect the drains. They look ok but I found a trail of pollen on the right side. There are some clear tubes that connect the drains from the sunroof to the metal drains in the body. Should I replace these with some clear tubing from Home Depot?
Old 04-08-16, 07:57 AM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

The diagram was downloaded from techinfo.toyota.com.
Old 04-08-16, 10:39 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Water in the passenger footwell may drip down over the connectors in the right side kick panel causing issues with the Body ECU. Determine the source of the leak. Easy enough to check moonroof drains..
Also check door weatherstripping..

I have observed if parked on an uneven surface(side to side) then in heavy rainfall, one drain can become overwhelmed and spill over into headliner. Treat your moonroof rubber seals with Shin Etsu (sp?) grease.

Disconnect negative ground at battery, disconnect the connectors in the right front footwell area, check for moisture and use a quality electrical contact cleaner compatible with plastic.

There is a triangular-shaped rubber seal where the hood hinge affixes to the cowl area at the front fenders.

Replaced mine.

A posting on why to replace all fuses;

www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/808330-ls400-fuses.html

Use contact cleaner to clean fuse box contacts before installing replacement fuses. Mind the paint.
Old 04-19-23, 08:38 PM
kxzvn
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what seemed to be the issue? i’m struggling trying to figure it out

Originally Posted by omarg
First of all, my problem seems to be solved. I think some fuses had the slightest corrosion which blocked the electricity through the fuse. I took every single fuse out, visually inspected and then tested with the multimeter. All of the fuses checked out. None were blown. All looked original. 16 years and 232k without a blown fuse is amazing!

Aptoslexus, that is a great diagram! where did you get it? I checked radio #2 and pwr ig fuses. they were fine. I could not find a fuse labeled MPX under the hood or under the dash.

Puredrifter, I initially only visually inspected the fuses but today i Itook a multimeter to every fuse. They all checked out but some had a tiny amount of surface corrosion on the contact points.

Yodaone, thanks so much for the suggestion on the water leak. I tore up my interior and found the passenger side front footwell with standing water. The electrical connections look ok. Is there something I can spray on the connections to help prevent corrosion? Also, I removed the A pillar trim along with the front headliner to inspect the drains. They look ok but I found a trail of pollen on the right side. There are some clear tubes that connect the drains from the sunroof to the metal drains in the body. Should I replace these with some clear tubing from Home Depot?
what seemed to be the fix?