LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Questions about adjusting the sub TPS

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 04:58 PM
BlakeP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about adjusting the sub TPS

Hi all,

I have a 1991 LS400 w/ Trac that's throwing a code 47. The sub throttle TPS's connector was broken so I went ahead and ordered another one. I replaced it, but info for adjusting the trac tps is scant. I've played with a few different positions, but no joy in getting the code to clear.

Does anybody know the correct procedure for adjusting it?
Old 03-31-16, 10:26 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Did you clear the code/s after installing the new sensor? How is the engine responding now?
Old 03-31-16, 12:35 PM
BlakeP
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I've pulled the negate cable multiple times. The motor falls on its face when you stab the throttle, not sure if they're related, but I want to take care of the issue that's causing the money light first.
Old 03-31-16, 01:35 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

These links may have additional info:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/tps.html

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7089
The following users liked this post:
Heretic (03-16-21)
Old 03-31-16, 01:53 PM
BlakeP
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the links. I've read them before, seems that code 47 isn't a common issue, not a lot out there.

I think I'm going to swing by the local indy Toyota/Lexus shop with some pizzas and bounce ideas off of them.
Old 04-01-16, 11:40 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Okay quick check of manuals, not much at all about install and adjustment so there could be a tsb on it I don't know. It basically says its the same as the main tps, but there is a adjust screw for idle stop on the main and not the sub at least I don't think so, I will study things better in a few days when I can.
To set the main tps it says you use a .016 thickness gauge between the stop and the adjust screw and use an ohm meter between terminals IKL and E2 on the tps, you turn it clockwise till you see it go to continuity , and tighten the screws .026 is suppose to open the switch.
The thing is with the sub tps, you need to know for sure what opening the sub throttle is at before you adjust it.
I'll check it all out better when I can as I want to know for sure how to do it as well.
Sometimes the manual is not easy to understand, I will need to try the adjustments to see for sure what is going on.

Last edited by dicer; 04-02-16 at 01:10 AM. Reason: better description of how to
Old 03-16-21, 09:30 AM
Heretic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
Okay quick check of manuals, not much at all about install and adjustment so there could be a tsb on it I don't know. It basically says its the same as the main tps, but there is a adjust screw for idle stop on the main and not the sub at least I don't think so, I will study things better in a few days when I can.
To set the main tps it says you use a .016 thickness gauge between the stop and the adjust screw and use an ohm meter between terminals IKL and E2 on the tps, you turn it clockwise till you see it go to continuity , and tighten the screws .026 is suppose to open the switch.
The thing is with the sub tps, you need to know for sure what opening the sub throttle is at before you adjust it.
I'll check it all out better when I can as I want to know for sure how to do it as well.
Sometimes the manual is not easy to understand, I will need to try the adjustments to see for sure what is going on.
Wanted to add to this old thread since I just finished putting my engine back together after a starter replacement and ran into a similar issue. I cranked it on this past weekend and on the second start up, she started jumping in idle between 1k - 2k rpms. When i checked the codes I got P0301 (Cyd 1 Misfire) and P1401 (Sub-Throttle Position Sensor Range/Performance Problem). - I disconnected the battery to let the codes reset but the issue persisted even before the CEL had a chance to come back on.

After looking at this form I'm motivated to test the distributor caps for continuity and the sub throttle sensor.

I have the Maintenance/Repair manual for a 96 LS400 and will dig through it today for some more info regarding the Sub TPS. I'll get back on here with my findings. However, if anyone has had success in testing the Sub TPS, let me know before i painstakingly go through the manual for some more info