LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Central Locking/ Seatbelts not working after LS400 got slightly flooded

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-16, 01:48 PM
dustyshiv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central Locking/ Seatbelts not working after LS400 got slightly flooded

Guys,

There was a severe storm in Dubai recently and unfortunately my LS400 1995 got stuck in a pothole in the middle of the road. There was so much water in a matter of seconds and some of it seeped in. By the time I got help from a 4 x 4 to pull my car out of the pothole, there was water just upto the level of the seat.

First off- Should the water be even entering the car? I reckon some seal must have given in.

Though the car was running all the while, it started behaving weird couple of minutes later.
All the lights were ON in the dash though i was able to drive/ start without issues. Upon reaching the house, I noticed that upon turning off the engine, I couldn't remove the key after turning off the engine. It came out only after the -ve of the battery was disconnected.

Drove the next day to my local mech. who showed me that the starter motor was burnt internally and was causing shorts. Got a replacement one from junk and fitted it. Car works fine now. All the lights are working fine on the dash.

The only discrepancies i see are
That both the front seat belts which are now not retracting.
The aftermarket central locking system that i had gotten installed is not locking/unlocking the doors. The lights come on upon pressing the lock/unlock button but the locks do not unlock/lock.
The locks do get unlocked/locked if the key is inserted to the lock and turned twice in quick succession.

Both of these were working at the time I left the car to the Mech.

Mech. says that the computer underneath the drivers seat got flooded and needs to be replaced.
Upon removing the PCB, i did see water penetration. It was dried and put back. Cruise works fine though.

Please let me know what exactly is controlled by the computer underneath the driver's seat and any way that i can get the seat belts/ central locking to function back normally? He has already charged me good bucks to change the starter motor/ spark plugs/ interior shampooing.

Appreciate your help.
Old 03-20-16, 03:23 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't know of any computer under the seat. The seat belts retract through a solenoid circuit. I would examine the circuit that runs through the 10A IG fuse since it controls both belts. Blown fuse? Short in the wire?

Old 03-20-16, 07:38 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

the computer would be sealed, but all connections could be shorted because you left it running, (current flowing) you should have turned it off.. just start checking for blown fuses
Old 03-20-16, 11:47 PM
sndlight
Driver

There are door ECUs in each door and a main MPX module in this model. No computer under the seat.
That's all the help I can give. That sounds like a real mess; I do hope you figure it out.
Old 03-22-16, 02:54 AM
dustyshiv
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help guys.

For the central locking, I narrowed down the issue to the door lock/unlock button near the driver window. Upon pressing it one way, it would lock. Pressing it the other way wouldnt unlock. I opened up the PCB and there was so much soldering flux residue and the particular pcb trace was slightly corroded. I cleaned the pcb with Suprclean flux cleaner, dried and tried. It works for now.

With regards to seat belts, i did remove and clean it up. No luck. I disconnected the power to the retraction motor and tried. No luck. Guess I have to change em out.