LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rear upper control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 01:56 PM
Finn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear upper control arms?

Hello.

At the annual inspection the outcome was that right rear upper control arm (48770-50010) bushings are too worn. He let me go this time but I will need to take care of this sooner or later.

Have I understood correctly that RUCA bushings are not available separately?

What alternatives are there if any besides the originals?

I can see some items on Ebay but cannot say whether they are OEM or not.

What about Amayama? When I punch the part number in it gives a reasonable price for the part. Are they OEM parts that they sell?
Old 03-18-16, 02:15 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

When it gets to the point parts are not available, either we will have to make them or go to a machine shop and have the parts made. Some folks don't want to use the poly bushings and in some places the bushings are a spherical metal to metal affair, so poly may not be a good choice there, but it will be a good choice to replace rubber that you no longer can purchase.
Old 03-18-16, 02:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the control arm bushings are not offered by toyota/lexus at all. Only the complete arm assemblies are sold.

Adus and SuperPro make polyurethane bushings.
Old 03-18-16, 05:06 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Apparently amayama is legit. I just bought $800 worth of suspension parts (the entire front end minus coilovers). They say they are oem and are on their way. I did some googling and research before I purchased though and they do take PayPal so you can always dispute fraud and get your money back.
Old 03-18-16, 05:07 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Adus and SuperPro make polyurethane bushings. adus part # is 505
Attached Thumbnails Rear upper control arms?-102_1278.jpg  
Old 03-19-16, 10:40 AM
Finn
Driver

Thanks, guys, for the comments.

I'm not fond of polyurethane bushings in this case and that would still leave the old ball joint which I reckon is not available separately either.

I will check the price for OEM control arm at the local Toyota dealer and then check the same with Amayama, which I believe will turn out to be considerably cheaper even after shipping and customs charges.
Old 03-19-16, 10:44 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

like your flag, mine too
Attached Thumbnails Rear upper control arms?-godsjudgementabortion.jpg  
Old 12-17-20, 09:57 AM
JiiKoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Finn
Thanks, guys, for the comments.

I'm not fond of polyurethane bushings in this case and that would still leave the old ball joint which I reckon is not available separately either.

I will check the price for OEM control arm at the local Toyota dealer and then check the same with Amayama, which I believe will turn out to be considerably cheaper even after shipping and customs charges.
Moro, Fellow Finn here.

How did you end up solving your problem? I had the same situation with my annual inspection... Loads of rubber bushings available for 94 onwards models, but can't find ones for UCF10...
The look of the control arm is really similar, wonder if the bushings would cross-fit...
Old 12-17-20, 11:05 AM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by JiiKoo
Moro, Fellow Finn here.

How did you end up solving your problem? I had the same situation with my annual inspection... Loads of rubber bushings available for 94 onwards models, but can't find ones for UCF10...
The look of the control arm is really similar, wonder if the bushings would cross-fit...
Finn has not been active on the forum since Jan 2018.
If you're trying to avoid buying the entire OE arm from Lexus you might take a look at https://febestparts.com/
Old 12-17-20, 10:39 PM
JiiKoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
Finn has not been active on the forum since Jan 2018.
If you're trying to avoid buying the entire OE arm from Lexus you might take a look at https://febestparts.com/
No he/she hasn't, missed that...

I'll take a look at their catalog, thanks!
I've found some polyurethane bushings, but their not ideal for the bone stock, air-ride, comfy car... Also in Finland, when it gets real cold they're rock hard.
Old 12-21-20, 04:40 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by JiiKoo
No he/she hasn't, missed that...

I'll take a look at their catalog, thanks!
I've found some polyurethane bushings, but their not ideal for the bone stock, air-ride, comfy car... Also in Finland, when it gets real cold they're rock hard.
You should only get OEM arms for the rears. They were still available for me when I did mine in March of 2020 ($177 a piece). Fronts and rears on my 99 use a special type of bushing that is able to independently pivot within the housing. If you use a poly or solid rubber bushing, you'll likely introduce a lot more NVH into the car through road noise or roughness from the suspension as it cycles up and down, possibly some suspension noise as well.
Old 12-25-20, 02:19 AM
JiiKoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
You should only get OEM arms for the rears. They were still available for me when I did mine in March of 2020 ($177 a piece). Fronts and rears on my 99 use a special type of bushing that is able to independently pivot within the housing. If you use a poly or solid rubber bushing, you'll likely introduce a lot more NVH into the car through road noise or roughness from the suspension as it cycles up and down, possibly some suspension noise as well.
Arms are different for the 1st gen cars unfortunately. Nowhere near 177$, and can't find bushings anywhere...
Old 12-27-20, 09:54 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Could you post the part numbers for reference? Thanks.
Old 12-29-20, 02:01 AM
JiiKoo
Driver School Candidate

48790-50010 & 48770-50010 and more specifically I only need the bushings for the chassis mounting points.

Febest has bushings (TAB-176RUB) for the 1994 onwards cars with different control arms 48790-59025 & 48770-59025

Older type arm highlighted in yellow, newer type below:

Old 12-29-20, 03:14 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Im wodering,I see cressida uses the same bushing and hunting those down,poly only,they say they fit lexus up to year 2000? (never mind,another site has listed only to 94 lexus) Wonder if thats the case? Are these bushings different over the years or just different part numbers,ie,an 'upgraded' part?

Edit-So Cressida bushings no longer made.Looks pretty unobtanium from my searches,FWIW.If car is desperate looks like poly is the only choice?

Last edited by spuds; 12-29-20 at 03:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear upper control arms?