LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My LS400 search

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-16, 03:26 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default My LS400 search

I'm always searching on craigslist in hopes to find the LS of my dreams.
I just ran across a 92 with 185,000 miles for $3000. he lists the main problems as the paint is pealing off the hood, and the rack and pinion needs replacement. What a deal, right?

I love the ad's that say stuff like this, "It won't start just needs a starter, its a simple fix" oh and that particular ad the car was advertised at $2000.
I just find it funny all the junk that people are asking top dollar and way over blue book for.
Another thing that I don't get is the cars that have dots or other things painted on the front fenders, and trashed in so many other ways and then the seller thinks they can get 3 to 5 K for it.
Still looking for the dream car.
Old 03-02-16, 03:48 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into the same scenario while searching for my LS. It was very interesting exploring the various sellers definitions of 'clean', 'like-new', 'needs nothing', and 'great condition'.

All I can say...it was very entertaining. LOL!

Mike
Old 03-02-16, 04:10 PM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you see a pristine, low mile, not gold or white 99-00 without a sunroof, let me know. That was my personal unicorn when I was looking, and I never found it.
Old 03-02-16, 05:19 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Why would a sunroof be a deal breaker?
My 99LS has 205K miles, never a problem. I don't use it much, though.
Old 03-02-16, 06:00 PM
mappo
Driver

Originally Posted by valex
Why would a sunroof be a deal breaker?
My 99LS has 205K miles, never a problem. I don't use it much, though.
It wasn't a dealbreaker, as I eventually gave up and got one with a sunroof. But the 400 is tight on headroom for me, and the extra inch from the sunroof delete is the difference between my head rubbing the headliner or not. I would have preferred the extra space over the sunroof.
Old 03-02-16, 06:49 PM
kyk007
Rookie

[QUOTE=dicer;9390915]I'm always searching on craigslist in hopes to find the LS of my dreams.
I just ran across a 92 with 185,000 miles for $3000. he lists the main problems as the paint is pealing off the hood, and the rack and pinion needs replacement. What a deal, right?

I love the ad's that say stuff like this, "It won't start just needs a starter, its a simple fix" oh and that particular ad the car was advertised at $2000.
I just find it funny all the junk that people are asking top dollar and way over blue book for.
Another thing that I don't get is the cars that have dots or other things painted on the front fenders, and trashed in so many other ways and then the seller thinks they can get 3 to 5 K for it.
Still looking for the dream car.[/QUOTE/]

I share in your pain Dicer. Like yourself, I am looking for a 98-00 LS400 in very good to pristine condition. So far, nothing has clicked all the boxes. When I do happen to find an honest, upfront seller that really does represent his/her car fairly, I can at least breathe a sigh of relief. Whether or not I'll buy their car is another matter. Good luck in your continued search. BTW, if anyone comes across a clean example W/O navigation, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Old 03-02-16, 08:29 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mappo
If you see a pristine, low mile, not gold or white 99-00 without a sunroof, let me know. That was my personal unicorn when I was looking, and I never found it.
I don't know about the 99 ups but the older ones that look gold I think are really a goofy beige color, like sand beige or what ever. I'm not a fan of it either. I'm with you on that color and white as well as black. There is a glut of white cars out there well and that gold too. I am looking for the unicorn as well and have past some nice cars up because not having what I'm looking for.
The next one I get has to be pristine as well, to many messed up messes to pick through.

Oh and how do you like the ad's that say "never in an accident" and one whole side of the car is caved in, or a door or fender is totally messed up?
Old 03-02-16, 09:03 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am also in the market for a preowned LS. I see many so called "dreamed" car by the sellers on CL. I can't help but to conclude that many sellers must be dreaming, stoned high. or love their cars so much that they priced the car at ridiculous amount so they can get to keep them and brag about.
And there are sellers who totally neglect their cars and post pictures of their cars that do not look much better than a vomit pit.
Old 03-02-16, 10:22 PM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5474086081.html

Dreamy LS in my area. Dream cupcake found
Old 03-02-16, 10:27 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pmarr
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5474086081.html

Dreamy LS in my area. Dream cupcake found
Yeah for some one it is, its not for me.
Old 03-02-16, 10:51 PM
pmarr
Pit Crew

you a fan of the earlier LS I take it?The ones in my area aren't worth the paper they are printed on it seems, but late models with history, not bad. Not that I'm buying. I'm a looker but if the right car comes along who knows...
Old 03-02-16, 10:59 PM
pmarr
Pit Crew

But I must admit, the 1st Gen cars still run amazingly well. My daughters beater is a tank while my co-worker just pulled up in a 91. Clean for the age. 150,000 plus. Low miles and new belts and pumps.
As a driver I recommend the 98-00 models. The earlier models will leave you comfortable. The 98-00 will leave you wanting to drive your car more.
Old 03-03-16, 06:54 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

im always trolling craigslist and other outlets looking for that pristine early 1st gen ucf10. very very few left. anyway theres no shortage of absolutely clapped out ucf20s. ive heard,

"runs perfect just needs a new engine"

"mint condition just needs seats and paint"

"drives like a race car just needs a transmission"

lmao
Old 03-03-16, 07:03 AM
mappo
Driver

You definitely see more 2nd gen beaters on craigslist. I had better luck finding the rare one-owner cars on cars.com and autotrader, as they often end up getting traded in to a Lexus dealer on a new one. Those days have passed for the 1st gens though.
Old 03-03-16, 08:09 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mappo
You definitely see more 2nd gen beaters on craigslist. I had better luck finding the rare one-owner cars on cars.com and autotrader, as they often end up getting traded in to a Lexus dealer on a new one. Those days have passed for the 1st gens though.
very very few nice original early ucf10s left, but they do exist. bout the only place you see them is at service centers at lexus dealerships. you wouldn't believe some of the treasures ive seen roll thru here

Quick Reply: My LS400 search