LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello Fellow LS Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-16, 10:18 AM
Cruisin101
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hello Fellow LS Owners

New member of the fraternity brotherhood of LS owners here, just want to share my story and ask a few questions.

Tiring from using the work van for a daily and driving the wife's minivan, I started scouring CL for a substitute. Criteria, low mileage and less than $3000. It was a miserable day when I looked at the '93 LS, down pouring so hard, I didn't bother to drive it but vowed to return.

As the week went by, I found a unbelievable deal on a '86 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4 truck. Where talking almost classic, no OBD anything, a backyard mechanic's dream. Great paint, wheels and tires, painted bedliner with get this, a 302 V8 with only 96,000 on the odometer for $2500. Dashed out to kick the tires, jumped in for a test drive and contemplated for awhile. Fact is, it felt like I was just driving a old truck. I wanted the ability to haul without dragging the trailer, but there was no excitement driving it, it was just transportation.

So the next clear day, I headed back to the lot with the Lexus. I was and am amazed by the ride, every time I turn the key.With 97,000 miles at $2500, I'm overwhelmingly happy with my purchase.I really had no idea how fortunate I was until reviewing the many posts here from other LS owners. Besides getting a great deal, the LS was the flagship of Lexus and car of the year in '90.

Of course it had the few usual problems. Found a LS at PnP a few weeks back, there very scarce in my market, Got incredibly lucky with a fully functional instrument cluster, back lighting, needles, and gas gauge all works. Foolishly attempted to repair my own LCD on the Climate control unit. No tutorials warn about making sure the solder is completely molten before separating the connection. Just got back my donor unit from TexaClusterRepair, works great, no more blank screen.

From viewing pics, I guess slotted rims and 16" are out. The LS originally had a pair of chrome and a pair of aluminum oem wheels. Found the slotted on CL for a c-note and used my wood working skills to fit the oem center caps.

Few other problems I'm sorting out but hopefully the TIS manual I downloaded will help, (what a pain). I do have three questions I need help on. I want to replace my weather checked steering wheel, what years should I be looking for. Secondly, There is a **** in back behind the interior hood release that I have no idea what it does. Finally, should there be interior lights when you exit the vehicle, I have lights upon entry but not exit.

Thanks for reading, sorry for being so wordy, just loving the experience.
Attached Thumbnails Hello Fellow LS Owners-lexus_resized1.jpg  
Old 03-01-16, 10:30 AM
Shaud843
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great find! Congrats on the purchase and welcome to CL!
Old 03-01-16, 10:48 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Always glad to welcome a fellow Oregonian to the club!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-16, 11:15 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Welcome and Congrats!

Mike
Old 03-01-16, 01:14 PM
DreDawg81
Driver School Candidate

Welcome and congrats ! It looks really good 2 !!
Old 03-01-16, 01:30 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

I wouldn't call this a fraternity; rather, it's a club... Club Lexus.

Great purchase, and great car. I really like how you were able to customize the rims to have Lexus logos; they look great! Did you trim the edges of the caps to get them to fit?

Regarding the lights, the lower door lights (found under the arm rest of each door) as well as the dome light by the rear-view mirror (if the switch is set to DOOR) and the rear two dome lights should go on, I believe. See the images I've attached for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Hello Fellow LS Owners-69280.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by CELSI0R; 03-01-16 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-01-16, 03:24 PM
Cruisin101
Driver

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and Celsior for your reply. I had to take 1 1/2" of the diameter of the center caps. I was very fortunate in that the slotted wheels had a female bolt hole that I was able to use to secure the caps.
As for my interior lighting, with the overhead fixture set on door, the overhead and lower door panel lights activate upon entry but when exiting, it's dark as night.
Any idea on that hidden switch? I think it's a rheostat switch.
Old 03-01-16, 05:02 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisin101
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and Celsior for your reply. I had to take 1 1/2" of the diameter of the center caps. I was very fortunate in that the slotted wheels had a female bolt hole that I was able to use to secure the caps.
As for my interior lighting, with the overhead fixture set on door, the overhead and lower door panel lights activate upon entry but when exiting, it's dark as night.
Any idea on that hidden switch? I think it's a rheostat switch.
Very interesting, regarding the wheels!

I also forgot to mention, but I believe the floor lights should illuminate as well, below the glove box and above the pedals. I'm not sure what you're referring to with a hidden switch, though.

Hopefully, another member can help you out with the lighting issues for the moment. I'm not near my car, so I can't really check on anything.
Old 03-01-16, 06:18 PM
PrinceLS
Driver School Candidate

Welcome i too new to my ls400 and noticed a switch where one pulls to open the hood
Old 03-02-16, 05:51 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

So... I'm really confused about the lights not working. I don't think I've seen that before.
Lights work off the switch in the door frame, right? How does the car know if your getting in or leaving?
If you leave the door open and just toggle the switch what happens?

Congrats on the find and welcome to the club.
Old 03-02-16, 06:53 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Climate control LCD repair! Yeah the best bang for the buck is to have Tanin Auto Electric do it. For the work involved they are almost replacing it for free.
Old 03-02-16, 08:14 PM
Cruisin101
Driver

I think something has to do with the seat triggering it.. If I'm seated, I get no response when opening the door, not seated and the overhead and accent lights respond.