LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Black Box In Trunk - What is it ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-16, 11:01 AM
Louie7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black Box In Trunk - What is it ?

Hello ~

Whilst replacing the power antenna assembly, in the trunk of my 1992 LS400, I noticed a rectangular black box. I didn't examine it at the time, as I was concerned primarily with the antenna.

Now, I am wondering what it is, and what it does. Oddly, it has a key lock at one end, with a key in it. It does have a network of cables and connectors attached to it.

Again, I ignored it at the time, but I DO have this image.

Can anyone tell me about this? I don't know if it's factory or aftermarket.

Thanks, Louie
Old 02-27-16, 01:32 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

That is the transceiver or radio for the phone system.
Old 02-27-16, 01:55 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
That is the transceiver or radio for the phone system.
Interesting, no wonder I don't have that.

Any idea why there is a key in that lock there, dicer or Louie7? I find that to be a little strange.
Old 02-27-16, 02:10 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

And that key is not easy to access either, because of all the panels that have to be removed to get to it.
I think its to lock the system, I suppose you need what ever manual that they gave you after the install to explain what it does. I wonder if the phone was a factory option starting in 92, because of that clean install and brackets with bolt locations? I know in the 1990 it was all an after thought dealer install option, they just drilled holes in the upper area of the trunk and installed the transceiver there, not as fancy and clean as the one in the photo.
Old 02-27-16, 02:25 PM
Louie7
Driver School Candidate

And that key is not easy to access either, because of all the panels that have to be removed to get to it.
I think its to lock the system, I suppose you need what ever manual that they gave you after the install to explain what it does. I wonder if the phone was a factory option starting in 92, because of that clean install and brackets with bolt locations? I know in the 1990 it was all an after thought dealer install option, they just drilled holes in the upper area of the trunk and installed the transceiver there, not as fancy and clean as the one in the photo.
Thank you....Let me say...this '92 car does have a factory installed Motorola 'car phone' that resides in the compartment between the front seats. It says LEXUS on it. The factory installed remote controls are connected behind the steering wheel. I don't have the manual for the 'car phone', but that's ok, since it is hopelessly antiquated and also dead as a door-nail.

But yeah, thanks for clearing that up for me....I thought possibly it had something to do with the audio system. Only the rear speakers produce sound, and at very low volume. Not sure what's going on there. I can't imagine speaker wires just unhooking themselves. The radio does pull in stations, but the vol **** has to be up full to even hear anything at all.
Old 02-27-16, 02:55 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Even the 1990 had all that stuff you mention in front of the steering wheel and that was a dealer installed option.
There are some cars that had something other than lexus phone, installed too or maybe something cheaper from the dealer? I think I have one, but it does have the proper antenna. As far as the radio sound I have that problem as well, I have read that the phone could be muting the radio, and some folks have disconnected the cords to the transceiver and had that fix it. Of course if you do that you need to disconnect the battery before any major electric work. There is also suppose to be some wire that runs up front to the radio to do that muting, I looked for mine some time ago and didn't find much, its one of those projects that is very low on the list right now, so some day I'll tackle it.
Old 02-28-16, 11:01 AM
Louie7
Driver School Candidate

Even the 1990 had all that stuff you mention in front of the steering wheel and that was a dealer installed option.
There are some cars that had something other than lexus phone, installed too or maybe something cheaper from the dealer? I think I have one, but it does have the proper antenna. As far as the radio sound I have that problem as well, I have read that the phone could be muting the radio, and some folks have disconnected the cords to the transceiver and had that fix it. Of course if you do that you need to disconnect the battery before any major electric work. There is also suppose to be some wire that runs up front to the radio to do that muting, I looked for mine some time ago and didn't find much, its one of those projects that is very low on the list right now, so some day I'll tackle it.
Thanks.... I'd like to pursue that angle too.
Old 02-29-16, 05:46 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

my 1990 had the phone. it also had this box. no key tho. always just summed it up as the old RF box for the phone. try turning the key. see what happens
Old 02-29-16, 12:21 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I'm sure the key was for locking the system. Like if you where loaning the car and didn't want the phone used.
Old 02-29-16, 04:23 PM
Louie7
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure the key was for locking the system. Like if you where loaning the car and didn't want the phone used.
That doesn't add up to me. The black box (and key) is behind the trunk liner. To access it, one has to open and empty the tool kit, remove three 8mm bolts, loosen some clips and tug the stiff liner away from the framework. Not something you'd want to do when you loan your car, or park it somewhere.

I don't think the key turns the phone off or on. When I turned the key it released that end of the 'box' from the mount that it is attached to. I could lift that end of the 'box' up, but the other end was still fixed to the mount.

Since my main concern was replacing the power antenna, I didn't pursue the 'box' any further. I just turned the key back to lock the 'box' down, and closed everything up.

I guess the key was there to discourage someone from stealing the 'box', but still allowing you, as the owner, to unlock and remove it. Altho I have no idea why. What would be the point in removing it? It would be useless to a thief, and if the owner removed it, it would serve no purpose by itself and it would render the phone useless too.

Silly stuff.

Last edited by Louie7; 02-29-16 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-29-16, 06:03 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the front speakers are re-routed thru that box (hands free, ect) so if there's stuff disconnected as it appears so in the pic it would likely cut out the front speaker. Same thing if the box is dead, it will probably take out the front speakers with it.
Old 02-29-16, 06:19 PM
peace101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
I think the front speakers are re-routed thru that box (hands free, ect) so if there's stuff disconnected as it appears so in the pic it would likely cut out the front speaker. Same thing if the box is dead, it will probably take out the front speakers with it.
From my 98, rear left speaker is re-routed to the transceiver. There are two bundle of cable coming down from the pillar. Disconnect them from the cables going and coming from the phone. Now connect the two pillar cables together. Is a male and female connector types. If you have the phone cradle on center console, disconnect everything. You may have to take the console apart, be carefully not to break stuff.

check this thread with pictures
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...hi+aftermarket

Last edited by peace101; 02-29-16 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-29-16, 06:27 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I guess we now know what the key does.
Old 02-29-16, 11:32 PM
Louie7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by djamps
Precisely...what you say dovetails with what I've read elsewhere about the mute functions of the phone etc.

But in my car there is nothing disconnected. The picture was taken in the middle of replacing the Power antenna... that's all. I replaced it and it works perfectly. At least as perfectly as it's going to, until I get sound from the spkrs.
Old 02-29-16, 11:36 PM
Louie7
Driver School Candidate

I guess we now know what the key does.
Maybe what it 'does', but not 'why'. What purpose does it serve? A key locking down a piece of gear, impossible to see, difficult to access, useless without the rest of the system, with the key right in the tumbler just waiting to be turned? Nutty.

Last edited by Louie7; 03-01-16 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Black Box In Trunk - What is it ?