LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HKB (or other brand) steering boss kit to fit UCF21?

Old 02-23-16, 09:49 PM
JimmyUZA28
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HKB (or other brand) steering boss kit to fit UCF21?

Hi all,

First time poster. I have a 98 Celsior (1UZ-FE VVT-i) half-cut that I'm currently putting into my A28 Celica with a manual conversion W58 gearbox. Naturally, the half-cut came with steering wheel that was cactus after the airbag went off in the rear end collision that wrecked the car.

I've read through the FAQ for 2nd gen LS400s and couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I've been able to mod the Celsior steering column to fit into the A28. This provides several benefits including, but not limited to:

- Intermittent wipers
- Tilt/telescopic adjustment (once I perform the fix detailed in these forums)
- Auto headlights
- Illuminated key barrel
- Cruise control
- Link up to my new rack & pinion steering setup (required in order to fit the 1UZ)
- New key (since I had a set of keys stolen in a home robbery recently - luckily the car wasn't running so they couldn't take it!)

I want to fit my Momo steering wheel to the column but I'm having trouble finding an boss kit specifically suited. In my research I've discovered that HKB do boss kits that are able to retain functionality of the cruise control. This is obviously something I'd prefer to have if I can. The closest from HKB I could find is a JZZ30 boss kit OT-156 that is for vehicle with cruise control and airbag without airbag warning lamp (I assume I don't have to worry about the warning lamp). Can anyone confirm if the UCF21 and JZZ30 would be compatible? If they're not, can anyone recommend any other model or even different brand that will work. If I can't get a hub with retained cruise functionality I might just have to dodgy up a generic hub with some switches fitted to it.

As well as the cruise control stalk there's also a three button attachment to the airbag part of the wheel labelled Mode, Reset & Function. Is this related to cruise control as well or something different? Seems weird that it would use two lots of controls but the wiring between the two is connected.

Sorry for the text wall. I figured the more accurate I am with the information I provide, the more likely I am to get help.

Cheers.

Jimmy.
Old 02-24-16, 09:07 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyUZA28
As well as the cruise control stalk there's also a three button attachment to the airbag part of the wheel labelled Mode, Reset & Function. Is this related to cruise control as well or something different? Seems weird that it would use two lots of controls but the wiring between the two is connected.
The three button thing is for the fuel economy meter.
Old 02-24-16, 01:56 PM
JimmyUZA28
Driver School Candidate

Thanks heaps for clarifying that djamps! That section will definitely be going then.

Now all I need is to find the right boss kit. I see the JZZ30 steering wheel looks fairly different to the UCF21 but that could just be a cosmetic thing and the column could be the same setup.
Old 02-26-16, 01:12 AM
JimmyUZA28
Driver School Candidate

After some more searching I was able to find a full Toyota applications list for the HKB brand. It has proved very useful as the model I need is OT-227.

In case anyone else will find the information useful the link is:

http://www.japauto-products.com/engl...HKB%20Boss.pdf
Old 02-26-16, 12:13 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

there are other hubs that are known to fit our steering columns, though it varies if the signal cancel is retained or cruise controls are saved. i believe an MKIV supra hub fits, but please do more research before taking my word for it.