LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fuel Leak PLEASE HELP !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-16, 05:15 AM
DreDawg81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Leak PLEASE HELP !!!!!

Wassup Everyone !!!!

I just purchased my second LS. A 1998 dealer maintained all services performed close to service intervals. Looks like original owner got rid of it because Lexus neglected to find the source of an intermittent strong gas odors. WELL I FOUND IT !!!!! After filling my tank last Wednesday and being close to E by Thursday evening (no more than 20-30 miles a day) and smelling gas pretty frequently, I assumed there was a leak somewhere. Did some investigation and found the circled item below leaking at a moderate rate. Can ANYONE please tell me what this is ?? I don't have much mechanical knowledge at all...just a love of the LS !

Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Leak PLEASE HELP !!!!!-gas-leak-4.jpg   Fuel Leak PLEASE HELP !!!!!-gas-leak-3.jpg   Fuel Leak PLEASE HELP !!!!!-gas-leak-2.jpg  

Last edited by DreDawg81; 02-26-16 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-26-16, 06:31 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

that is the fuel pressure regular located directly on the fuel rail.
Old 02-26-16, 06:50 AM
DreDawg81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
that is the fuel pressure regular located directly on the fuel rail.

Thanks !!!!!

So is this something I can change myself ? Looks like it may just screw in/screw out type of thing. Or should I just call the stealership ? I don't know any indie's I trust and I don't want Midas or Pepboys putting an aftermarket part on it.

Was thinkin I'd take it to Toyota instead of Lexus tho...
Old 02-26-16, 10:13 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Be easy, and should be screw off the old one and back on with the new. There will be fuel pressure that forces some out so make sure its cool and have some rags or paper towels around it to catch it. Not sure on 98 but I think you can also remove the fuel pump relay or fuse and start it and let it empty the pressure in the fuel rail to eliminate the spillage. It only runs a few seconds to do that.
Old 02-26-16, 11:54 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Be easy, and should be screw off the old one and back on with the new. There will be fuel pressure that forces some out so make sure its cool and have some rags or paper towels around it to catch it. Not sure on 98 but I think you can also remove the fuel pump relay or fuse and start it and let it empty the pressure in the fuel rail to eliminate the spillage. It only runs a few seconds to do that.
I've taken the intakes out several times on my 96 restoration project, and all I've done is pop the gas cap. Doesn't leak all that much gas fluid out. If you don't pop the gas cap and you let it sit in the sun, the gas will expand and force out more gas.
Old 02-26-16, 11:59 AM
timmy0tool

if the fuel pressure regulator has a 10mm nut/bolt on it, it's serviceable and can be replaced, which it should be. not sure if there is a gasket there too so i would pick one up when you're getting the regulator.

also removing the fuel cap relieves some of the pressure in the system too.
Old 02-28-16, 02:53 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

if the fuel pressure regulator has a 10mm nut/bolt on it, it's serviceable and can be replaced, which it should be. not sure if there is a gasket there too so i would pick one up when you're getting the regulator.

also removing the fuel cap relieves some of the pressure in the system too.
I have a leak also, it's at the "return" line connection on the fuel tank. I'll have to remove the rubber tank cushion to really see what's going on. Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to drain the tank before removing the return line. My guess is a rusted out connection, has anyone experienced this problem before? I have a '95 LS. Thanks much.
Old 02-28-16, 07:08 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by DreDawg81
Wassup Everyone !!!!

I just purchased my second LS. A 1998 dealer maintained all services performed close to service intervals. Looks like original owner got rid of it because Lexus neglected to find the source of an intermittent strong gas odors. WELL I FOUND IT !!!!! After filling my tank last Wednesday and being close to E by Thursday evening (no more than 20-30 miles a day) and smelling gas pretty frequently, I assumed there was a leak somewhere. Did some investigation and found the circled item below leaking at a moderate rate. Can ANYONE please tell me what this is ?? I don't have much mechanical knowledge at all...just a love of the LS !

Thanks !
This is fuel damper. There are 2 of these as depicted on exploded parts diagram of fuel rail. (23270) Be sure the dealer provides the correct crush washers...

The fuel regulator is located next to fuel pump...inside of the gas tank. See attached Lexus parts diagram(23280)

Old 02-29-16, 09:44 AM
DreDawg81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
This is fuel damper. There are 2 of these as depicted on exploded parts diagram of fuel rail. (23270) Be sure the dealer provides the correct crush washers...

The fuel regulator is located next to fuel pump...inside of the gas tank. See attached Lexus parts diagram(23280)

I took it to Toyota. They said its the Bank 1 Fuel Regulator & gasket that needs to be replaced. This has been an issue with the previous owner smelling gas but Lexus couldn't find the problem...I was scared to let a shop (a car enthusiast) friend of mine recommended because when I called the guy he wanted to use an aftermarket part from BWD. When I expressed concern he seemed annoyed and dismissed my concerns saying the company is good and his repairs are warranted. So for my own peace of mind I took it to Toyota My LS has 208K on it and from what I'm reading here this car can easily get twice that on the clock so at least for the engine I'd rather keep it Toyota/Lexus parts..... Is this wise ? Dealer quoted 490 for the repair with $60 off
Old 02-29-16, 10:27 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Don't be surprised at all if YodaOne and your shop friend know more than the Toyota guy. I bet they do. If the Lexus dealership could not find that leak, what does that tell you about the need to be careful who you trust?

Looking at the design from YodaOne's parts diagrams, those dampers don't seem to be critical parts. The main thing they have to do is not leak. So I would not be worried about your friend's BWD part.

BTW, you may find many cases throughout the car where Lexus over-engineered things to get as close to perfection as they could. When you become more interested in keeping the car running well rather than being perfect, you'll find you can bypass some things.

Good luck with the fix, and nice work on finding the leak.
Old 02-29-16, 12:11 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The funny thing is your Toyota dealer is likely to use that same part your mechanic friend was going to use.
For that matter make your self feel better and go buy the one at Toyota (and hopefully its what you pay for) and save yourself 300 by doing it yourself.
Someday you will figure it out. There are some parts you HAVE to get at the dealers because on one else has them, even they are slowly dwindling.
But the day you need lots of parts the dealers are going to end up costing more than its worth spending on the car and or the only place to get them will be aftermarket. Besides even now there are a lot of Lexus brand parts that are not made by lexus .

Last edited by dicer; 02-29-16 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-29-16, 12:31 PM
timmy0tool

the only reason i would go to toyota/lexus/dealer is to buy the parts directly so it's certain they are OEM. it is always cheaper to have the work done elsewhere unless you want this kind of service to turn up in the car's service history. most non-dealership competent mechanics warranty their work too so the piece of mind factor is there. just use OEM parts.

it seems you are uneasy to go this route, so the dealer is your only and most expensive option.
Old 02-29-16, 12:41 PM
DreDawg81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Don't be surprised at all if YodaOne and your shop friend know more than the Toyota guy. I bet they do. If the Lexus dealership could not find that leak, what does that tell you about the need to be careful who you trust?

Looking at the design from YodaOne's parts diagrams, those dampers don't seem to be critical parts. The main thing they have to do is not leak. So I would not be worried about your friend's BWD part.

BTW, you may find many cases throughout the car where Lexus over-engineered things to get as close to perfection as they could. When you become more interested in keeping the car running well rather than being perfect, you'll find you can bypass some things.

Good luck with the fix, and nice work on finding the leak.
Thanks for the feedback ! I wish I had read your post b4 I agreed to let Toyota fix it. Im in the beginning stages. My first LS was acquired by my best friend because I wasn't satisfied that it wasn't mechanically perfect ! LOL. That was 2 years ago. He still drives the car daily and even does trips from FL to DC in it !! I will make sure going forward I focus on keeping it running well rather than perfection. I need to remove from my thinkin that any other parts other than OEM are inferior !
Old 02-29-16, 12:46 PM
DreDawg81
Driver School Candidate

the only reason i would go to toyota/lexus/dealer is to buy the parts directly so it's certain they are OEM. it is always cheaper to have the work done elsewhere unless you want this kind of service to turn up in the car's service history. most non-dealership competent mechanics warranty their work too so the piece of mind factor is there. just use OEM parts.

it seems you are uneasy to go this route, so the dealer is your only and most expensive option.

This will certainly be the last time. Lesson learned for me. I was just super concerned that it was (ONE) leaking gas and (TWO) that it was in the engine bay......so I wanted to be super sure it was fixed right. What you are saying is what I've heard mostly and that's 2 buy OEM parts and have a good mechanic to do the work for me. I plan on keeping this car until it TOTALLY dies. I have a brand new Pathfinder but the LS still calls to me so Im making this my daily driver and leaving the pathfinder for long hauls with my kid and family. This site is a lifesaver tho ! Learning new things daily ! Thanks 4 the feedback
Old 02-29-16, 12:48 PM
DreDawg81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
The funny thing is your Toyota dealer is likely to use that same part your mechanic friend was going to use.
For that matter make your self feel better and go buy the one at Toyota (and hopefully its what you pay for) and save yourself 300 by doing it yourself.
Someday you will figure it out. There are some parts you HAVE to get at the dealers because on one else has them, even they are slowly dwindling.
But the day you need lots of parts the dealers are going to end up costing more than its worth spending on the car and or the only place to get them will be aftermarket. Besides even now there are a lot of Lexus brand parts that are not made by lexus .
Really ?? Even the dealer uses after-market parts? YIKES.... This is definitely the last time It see's a dealer.....My worries have been calmed so next time (if theres a next time) I have an issue I will take it to my friends shop.

Quick Reply: Fuel Leak PLEASE HELP !!!!!