LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

92 ls400 pioneer 2 ohm sub??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 09:25 PM
phoenix68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 ls400 pioneer 2 ohm sub??

I am looking for a replacement for the rear deck sub. It's an 8" pioneer 2 ohm 40 watt sub. I have the old sub, and I know I can cut the frame off and bolt it to a new sub, but I can't seem to find an adequate replacement, plus I've read nightmare stories of cooking the amp with an improper configuration. Any advice from someone who has dealt with this issue successfully would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-25-16, 08:43 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

I re-foamed my 2 ohm Pioneer subwoofer this past summer, as it has a very odd resistance that is hard to match.

I used this tutorial to perform the repair, and it came out like new. It's a little tricky, since you can't get your hands behind the cone to support the foam, while it's adhering, so you have to be very careful. You also want to make sure that the cone remains centered, otherwise you will get distortion in your sound. Take a lot of care when removing the old foam and adhering the new foam, as the paper cone is very brittle after 20+ years. I had to perform paper mache repairs to the cone, to close up cracks I accidentally made and retain its shape.

Although I put a UV cover over the subwoofer when I park outside now, it will probably only last around 10 years, as heat and UV eat away at the foam and the paper cone.

Worse comes to worse, you could just leave it unplugged. Any subwoofer from another LS is probably just as bad because of it's age, and isn't worth the money.

EDIT: I believe I purchased these foam surrounds. It's been a while, so don't take my word for it. Take some measurements and double check my work.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 02-25-16 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-25-16, 12:28 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
I re-foamed my 2 ohm Pioneer subwoofer this past summer, as it has a very odd resistance that is hard to match.

I used this tutorial to perform the repair, and it came out like new. It's a little tricky, since you can't get your hands behind the cone to support the foam, while it's adhering, so you have to be very careful. You also want to make sure that the cone remains centered, otherwise you will get distortion in your sound. Take a lot of care when removing the old foam and adhering the new foam, as the paper cone is very brittle after 20+ years. I had to perform paper mache repairs to the cone, to close up cracks I accidentally made and retain its shape.

Although I put a UV cover over the subwoofer when I park outside now, it will probably only last around 10 years, as heat and UV eat away at the foam and the paper cone.

Worse comes to worse, you could just leave it unplugged. Any subwoofer from another LS is probably just as bad because of it's age, and isn't worth the money.

EDIT: I believe I purchased these foam surrounds. It's been a while, so don't take my word for it. Take some measurements and double check my work.
Boy did you nail it when you said any ls400 is just as bad because of it's age. I've pulled three subwoofers from various pick/pull places and they have all been bad. Only 5 dollars from the pick/pull places, but they are all just used up.
Old 02-25-16, 12:42 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by jaaa
Boy did you nail it when you said any ls400 is just as bad because of it's age. I've pulled three subwoofers from various pick/pull places and they have all been bad. Only 5 dollars from the pick/pull places, but they are all just used up.
Yep, it's a shame, but that's just how it is.

Sunlight, heat, and UV kills all subwoofers. After 20+ years, you would be lucky to find a good one that's original.
Old 02-25-16, 01:25 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Advances in speaker materials over 20 years suggests contemporary materials offer improvements and could be used to recone paper OEM 2 ohm speakers.

Anyone with a line on materials and or recone sourcing?