LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Celsior Niggles and Surprises

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 01:27 PM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Najeeh
I just changed the oil in the gearbox (drain and refill with filter cleanup) with a toyota T-IV, when the car had sat all night I checked the oil level on the dipstick and it was above the cold mark, when I started the car it dipped down and barely touched the cold mark. When it gets hot it goes above the hot mark. Is there air in the system or have I overfilled it?
It's best (most accurate) to check the trans fluid while hot, and you check it while parked on a flat level surface with the engine running. I wouldn't give any weight to cold readings, and especially not to readings while the engine is off.

How's the color of the fluid coming out? If it's not pretty close to the same color as the new stuff going in, repeat the drain/fill every hundred miles until it is. You don't even get a quarter of the fluid out with each pan drain, so it'll take several rounds to get the old stuff out.
Old 02-21-16, 03:38 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

You might want to do a search on the forum for transmission mounts. It seems to be a common problem, and it's an easy fix.
Old 02-21-16, 04:43 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If it was a trusted website I'd watch the video. Don't need a computer bug.
Old 02-22-16, 12:50 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll do the drain and fill at least 4 times to get all the old fluid out.
The current drain was done when the car was on jack stands from the front.

The old fluid in the transmission was thick and reddish-brown. The transmission mount was replaced recently as a stone hit the under side of the car and broke the old mount in two pieces.

I'll upload the video to YouTube and post the link here.
Old 02-22-16, 02:18 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

Here's the video
Old 02-22-16, 02:41 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I heard a click and that could be rear end gear play, cv shaft cv slop, drive shaft slop. And the car wanting to move is the engine idle is a bit high as well as that slop kinda builds up inertia and helps the torque jerk application..
Old 02-22-16, 07:42 PM
Najeeh
Rookie

Yes, the more confusing thing is that when it's cold and idling at 1100-1200 rpm, the slop/jerk/jump is very subtle. But when the car is at normal temp and idling at 650-700 rpm, it gives this jerk.

I did adjust the throttle cables on the throttle body, this made the reverse slop like it is now, before it was as hard as the drive one. I think I'am going to do that again, only this time I'll also check the linkage on the gearbox.

Last edited by Najeeh; 02-22-16 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 09:57 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

my 95 has a slight clunk when I let off the gas at low speeds. seems to be the tranny mount. ive had the car for 3 years and its never hurt anything. its just an annoyance to some and wont affect the car at all. its basically rubber shocks that sit behind the tranny that hush it when it moves slightly, and they dry rot and fall out, so the tranny is tapping underneath when I let off the gas. I don't mind it. honestly it gives the car a satisfying mechanical sound, which sounds crazy but I like that kind of stuff. I know. weird. lol
Old 02-23-16, 10:44 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

My cressida has travelled 500,000 km on the original tranny (w55), everytime i shift into 3rd I get a clunk as the gear is engaged, I like that sound very much just like you like the clunk.
Old 02-23-16, 10:46 AM
sndlight
Driver

Originally Posted by Stereorob
my 95 has a slight clunk when I let off the gas at low speeds. seems to be the tranny mount. ive had the car for 3 years and its never hurt anything. its just an annoyance to some and wont affect the car at all. its basically rubber shocks that sit behind the tranny that hush it when it moves slightly, and they dry rot and fall out, so the tranny is tapping underneath when I let off the gas. I don't mind it. honestly it gives the car a satisfying mechanical sound, which sounds crazy but I like that kind of stuff. I know. weird. lol
I replaced my trans mount to solve the clunks from P - R / R-D / P-D / + as I apply or get off the gas and it didn't help at all. I still have it, so I'll be tearing my diff apart soon and resetting backlash and pinion preloads. I have the exact same clunk on my 95 with 134k mi but about twice as loud.

Last edited by sndlight; 02-23-16 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-23-16, 02:18 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

my clunk is soft. tranny shifts a little hard between 2-3rd gear but ive had it checked out. its just old.
Old 02-24-16, 12:48 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

My tranny shifts hard from 1st to 2nd in D or from L to 2, otherwise it's completely smooth.
Old 02-27-16, 10:24 PM
Najeeh
Rookie

Another problem I now have is the operating temperature. I've installed the viscous drive fan and keeps the temperature maintained at a point above normal {half point of the gauge). I'am worried that the engine may overheat in the summer as here temps go up to 45 C. How should the fan operate and what temp must it maintain?
Old 02-28-16, 07:14 AM
alien1974
Rookie

mine does the clunk/shunt moving from N to D or N to R, garage said there is play in the diff mount bushes
Old 02-28-16, 11:41 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

I took it out for a drive today. One thing I noticed is that when I shift from Park to drive the jolt/jerk is very subtle but when I shift from Neutral to Drive the jolt/jerk is very hard. Now what could be causing this?

Quick Reply: Celsior Niggles and Surprises