LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

its "just an expensive camry"

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 11:03 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Thumbs down its "just an expensive camry"

anyone get tired of hearing this? ive heard it more than a few times, "your car looks like a camry" or "its nothing but a glorified camry"

then comes the battle, the back and forth argument about this. then they drive the car, and they shut there mouth.

youd think that as much time has gone by this idea would be a thing of the past yet it still exists.
it pisses me off. them are fighting words.

thoughts?
Old 02-10-16, 11:05 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

For the ES, I would agree. People don't understand that the LS was an entirely unique platform.
Old 02-10-16, 11:31 AM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I prefer to think of it as the Billion Dollar Toyota.
Old 02-10-16, 11:48 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

One of the guys in the 460 section, his license plate was something like XL-CMRY. Hahaha...

The peeps that say that are justifying to themselves the car envy. That's ok, we know how they really are.
Old 02-10-16, 11:53 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

it's just ignorance, so i let it pass. they don't know any better, so i try to teach them constructively of course.

an ES is more of a glorified camry, but the ES is actually based on the avalon platform if i'm not mistaken.
Old 02-10-16, 12:34 PM
SteezyLS98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glofied camry never more like a japense luxury car with that v8 rwd you never want step out of because of how comfortable it is it has more chances for the driver to express his/her own character weather your a old mad or a young gear head and it gets side ways when you want it to.
Old 02-10-16, 02:38 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

when rob ferretti reviewed my car he said "it's basically a toyota with a badge..." but i didn't wanna interrupt the video and tell him how in the case of the LS that's not an entirely accurate thing to say. i'm also confident enough with the LS to not even bother trying to start a debate over that. technically it is "just a toyota" except it's built in a different factory to much higher standards, unlike other toyotas. he also later on he went on to say that he felt like mr regular car reviews driving a regular car lol but whatever.

one of my favorite things about the LS is how i can quietly mock people with an ES, which is just a nice camry.
Old 02-10-16, 04:22 PM
Corkman
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought my first Lexus this summer after two decades of PU trucks & vans. I stumbled on a 05 ES and love it. Now that I been learning more about these cars on this site I'm kinda glad I started with an ES because I still have the LS experience to look forward to in the future. I definitely know when I peek in on the LS forum I will be reading a love story. Hopefully in a few year I can join in on the LS fun....
Old 02-10-16, 04:53 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Aren't all Camry's front wheel drive? And I don't think they ever used a V8. Maybe the only thing that will fit from a camry is the wheels. Celsiors have the Toyota emblems maybe that is why they would think they are same.
Old 02-10-16, 05:39 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Aren't all Camry's front wheel drive? And I don't think they ever used a V8. Maybe the only thing that will fit from a camry is the wheels. Celsiors have the Toyota emblems maybe that is why they would think they are same.
yes the camry actually does not share a platform with any other car, likewise the LS. people mistakenly associate the two all the time and the only commonality between them is their being toyota. not even the wheels will fit each other properly due to the point you mentioned, FWD vs RWD.
Old 02-10-16, 06:27 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Toyota had no way of appealing to America's rich car consumers without creating a separate brand. That's what their US experts told them. No American was going to pay that much money for a Toyota.

And they had to imitate the MB S class to do it, but just do it better. They succeeded big time.

Over time Lexus cashed in on the initial positive reviews. But after that you saw trimmed up Camry's and Aristos and then everything else.

Mostly the "expensive Camry" jab is from a number of German car purists who felt threatened at one time, but certainly do not take a back seat to Lexus today.

If Lexus had in fact not tried so hard to do the "me too" bit and insisted on gently introducing the Celsior and Aristo... things might have turned out different.
Old 02-10-16, 08:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The Corona and Cressidas were pretty nice cars for the respective generations. Was to bad that Toyota yanked the RWD variants off the showroom for FWD offerings like the Avalon. Would have been nice to see the Crown or Chaser variants take their place stateside. The Crown and Aristo/GS are close in comparable configurations so to have the Lexus GS and Toyota Crown would be conflicting.
Old 02-10-16, 08:43 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

sometimes i wish the LS were branded as a toyota, people resent you more if you say you have a lexus lol... but when you have a toyota people just think oh what a reasonable and sensible person. then it'd be more like the phaeton, which was of course a sales disaster.
Old 02-11-16, 06:45 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

BULL...... I dont care what they think or say, I drive mine for myself NOT them... "WHO CARES"
Old 02-11-16, 09:01 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'd take offense if I drove an ES.
Well, wait, no I wouldn't that's a great car too.

Mike

Quick Reply: its "just an expensive camry"