LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Aftermarket Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 09:46 PM
2GenLS4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Steering wheel

I have a 96' UCF20. I put a steering wheel on my car and since nobody makes a hub adapter for our cars I used a MKIV Supra adapter, now to make this hub fit you have to remove the clock spring all together.
Only issue with this that I have is no horn, since I dont have a clock spring, I don't have a horn. What can I do for a horn to the wheel itself?

Worse come to worse I will have to install a button on my shifter that is horn. However I would like to retain factory horn button location. Any ideas?
Old 02-09-16, 02:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Jesus you hacked it up.

HKB makes 2-3 different hub adapters for the LS, as do several other companies. HKB even makes one that will retain cruise control. All retain the horn and auto-cancel for turn signals. A little basic japanese translating and you can pick them up all day from japanese auctions or US HKB distributors (special order)

Research next time.
Old 02-09-16, 02:48 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Easy cheesy, just put in the stock system and all is good. Coolness always = trouble when it comes to car stuff, and especially on any car newer than the 60's.
Old 02-09-16, 08:12 AM
2GenLS4
Rookie

Yeah thanks buddy for the useless information. My question wasn't if I could buy another hub. I was seriously misinformed from all the research I already did on this website. After countless searches and a whole bunch of different hubs coming back. And yeah thanks man HKB would be wonderful if They had a website that wasn't 100% Japanese?
On top of that HKB hubs = $$$
My hub = fweeeeeeee. No monies
I used a Grant Hub from work..

Now back to the OP, is there a way or not? Jesus tired of all the people on this site who are just about bashing and not helping.
Old 02-09-16, 08:14 AM
2GenLS4
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
Easy cheesy, just put in the stock system and all is good. Coolness always = trouble when it comes to car stuff, and especially on any car newer than the 60's.
So probably a no go as for the horn huh?
Alright guess I might have to go back to stock.. I'll peek into maybe a button on the dash/shift ****..
Old 02-09-16, 08:16 AM
2GenLS4
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Jesus you hacked it up.

HKB makes 2-3 different hub adapters for the LS, as do several other companies. HKB even makes one that will retain cruise control. All retain the horn and auto-cancel for turn signals. A little basic japanese translating and you can pick them up all day from japanese auctions or US HKB distributors (special order)

Research next time.
And tell me, how is removing four screws hacking something up? If you're not gonna be useful please don't comment on my post.
Old 02-09-16, 09:15 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

^^^^
Actually, I thought PureDrifter was being facetious and did provide some very useful information regarding aftermarket hub options.

Mike
Old 02-09-16, 11:12 AM
2GenLS4
Rookie

I feel like he was just being plain out rude. My initial question was simple, however he decided to take it in his own hands and tell me I'm wrong. Well here we go, I screwed up but the wheel works, without any issues, aside from horn. I was hoping there is a way that I could install the horn by avoiding a new hub adapter but from what I'm reading and from what yu guys are saying it's a no go.
Sorry if I came off a little rude in return PureDrifter and Mike, however I hope you can see where I am coming from here.

The answer you responded with was way off topic, and doesn't help me in the slightest bit. I'm stuck with the peices I have bro. Nothing else I can do now than drop a couple hundred in a different hub? Or is there a way I can solder a wire to a plate behind my current hub. Let me clarify the Supra hub a bit.
It's a 1 wire design. I am assuming that ground is based on the hubbitself and the wire is the hot (+) wire.

My question is, if I can fab up a small round plate and solder or even melt some wire thriugh it will this make my horn work?
Old 02-09-16, 03:43 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

yep i was going to suggest a ground plate, unless your supra hub already has one. i've been successful doing that in my other cars (non-lexus) but that's what the ground plate is for. you just have to find the horn wire in the clock spring harness. there is only one that grounds the relay for the horn to work. attach that wire to the ground plate, and your horn button will do the rest.

the horn is a ground switching system, so when the horn button touches ground, it honks. you just need to complete the circuit at the hub. here is what i suggest (non-lexus but should work if you can find the horn wire in the harness).
http://www.preludeonline.com/f28/how...wheels-206210/
Old 02-09-16, 03:44 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

another question, so does your signal cancel still work without the clock spring in place?
Old 02-09-16, 06:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

You removed the clock spring, don't get snippy when you ask me how to wire up something that isn't there. The horn is tapped through the clock spring harness. Find a way to make it work or go back and do it properly by reinstalling the clockspring and harness and making your hub work. It's a horn, positive and ground, not overly complex.

What you're asking for isn't the usual way to do things.
Old 02-09-16, 06:37 PM
2GenLS4
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
another question, so does your signal cancel still work without the clock spring in place?
Signal cancel works because the hub I purchased sits on the spring loaded back plate with the three offset divets. The only issue I have is from the horn. However, I took a look at that Prelude forum and realized that's very pliable for me to work with and will pull my wheel after work tonight and try itt out if it works props to you Timmy. Thanks man.
Old 02-09-16, 06:41 PM
2GenLS4
Rookie

but as I stated previously, a free hub from work that is gonna cost me less than an Oil Change definitely surpasses the hundreds I'd spend on a HKB.
Old 02-09-16, 06:43 PM
2GenLS4
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
You removed the clock spring, don't get snippy when you ask me how to wire up something that isn't there. The horn is tapped through the clock spring harness. Find a way to make it work or go back and do it properly by reinstalling the clockspring and harness and making your hub work. It's a horn, positive and ground, not overly complex.

What you're asking for isn't the usual way to do things.
Like I said previously man, sorry if I came off a bit rude.
But in order for this hub to work for me I needed to remove the clock spring.

Sorry if I didn't clarify that in the OP.
Old 02-10-16, 04:11 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

The HKB boss kits to retain cruise control are under $100 list, with import fees/shipping still under 150....Less if you buy used.

OT-156 for '95-97 (USDM), OT-227 for '98-00 (USDM). '89-94 are mostly OT-135 with some needing OT-186 if self-cancel doesn't work.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Steering wheel