LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Adding technology to your LS to bring it into the 21st century

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 08:02 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Added double din nav/media player, bt/streaming with backup camera. Original speakers/sub were already messed up so I added 8" kicker sub in original location with cheap boss amp. I can proudly say I do not miss new car tech because I got them all for under $400
Old 02-05-16, 09:29 PM
Yamae

Received 852 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Are there any other applications/hacks that you have explored?
I hacked some. As you see the first photo, I added a latest navi to my 98 Celsior remaining the factory original since I needed it to control the A/C and the audio sources as well as the back up and front cameras. One another reason was to use the factory original amp and the sub woofer.

I also needed to connect an external MP3 player or a cellphone. To achieve this, I analysed and hacked the board under the original navi unit and found the ports which can accept the non-differential signals. You need to use a soldering iron but it's an often case when hacking.

The second photo shows the pins for L and R inputs. Now I can listen to external audio sounds through these 2 pins with 2 attenuators 12dB each. Without these, the sound level was a bit too high and slightly distorted. The factory sub woofer works perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails Adding technology to your LS to bring it into the 21st century-.jpg   Adding technology to your LS to bring it into the 21st century-external-in-98-ucf21-audio-selector.jpg  
Old 02-05-16, 11:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

My AUX mod to the CD changer harness, a Bluetooth car AUX receiver that allows me to wirelessly stream music/nav as well as take calls through the car's speakers, and a mount for the above.

Eventually I plan on going to a double din unit but frankly nothing out there impresses enough, though hopefully the tablet style Android Auto headunits that will start hitting the market this year will change that.

Other than that, a good radar detector and maybe a HUD setup are the only "modernization" mods I would consider.
Old 02-06-16, 05:16 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

these cars have surprisingly good sounding factory systems. even the early ones. great mids and highs already just upgrade the sub in the back. I replaced the head unit in my 90 with Nak and it was a HUGE mistake!! never sounded as good as the factory one
Old 02-06-16, 12:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I don't mind the '97 time capsule. Did stick in a portable GPS but other than that, no planned updates. Well, maybe a dash cam but that doesn't enhance the comfort or drivability.
Old 02-06-16, 02:43 PM
CynderES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for mine, the temporary solution i did was get a scosche magnetic dash top mount kit and a hidden antenna plug FM adapter. waiting for the amp i want to go on sale so i can move the tablet to the original NAK spot and mount it there but for now, i have hands free calling, music, and maps through an app called Automation: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...automate&hl=en that emulates android auto. really all i need to make it work is new nak door speakers and my amp, i have the logistics worked out and mounted it even before i realized that i was getting nothing but tweeter. maybe Yamae will have a pinout diagram of the factory nak hookup as i cannot find a good one. Best of luck!
Old 02-07-16, 08:12 PM
sndlight
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a Metra 70-1761 to wire the radio's power, and hard wired to the nakamichi amp harness for the speakers. The Pioneer is powering the door speakers amazingly - sounds OEM. I bypassed the factory amp, so the factory sub no longer works. I have discovered there is a way to wire the amp up, so that will be rewired when it gets warm out.
The dash kit I used was a Metra 95-8153 and yes it is sort of crappy and doesn't really match the dash. This doesn't bother me.
I have Pandora, hands-free calling, and nav directions all handled by my Bluetooth phone thanks to this setup and I have had no issues and no complaints. I spent under $130 (March 2015) and time to install was less than 2 hours on this setup.
Old 02-08-16, 11:07 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
I hacked some. As you see the first photo, I added a latest navi to my 98 Celsior remaining the factory original since I needed it to control the A/C and the audio sources as well as the back up and front cameras. One another reason was to use the factory original amp and the sub woofer.

I also needed to connect an external MP3 player or a cellphone. To achieve this, I analysed and hacked the board under the original navi unit and found the ports which can accept the non-differential signals. You need to use a soldering iron but it's an often case when hacking.

The second photo shows the pins for L and R inputs. Now I can listen to external audio sounds through these 2 pins with 2 attenuators 12dB each. Without these, the sound level was a bit too high and slightly distorted. The factory sub woofer works perfectly.
I think you did something wrong - your steering wheel is on the wrong side now!
Old 02-08-16, 11:53 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

oh and one more thing which is almost a necessity but not technically even 21st century is the valentine one. it's almost impossible to have true peace on the road without one, literally got me out of a ticket yesterday. guy never radared me, claimed he was "clocking" me, i (respectfully) called him out, and no ticket