LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2000 LS noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-16, 12:38 PM
Leeroy
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Flex, I dropped the car off with a local shop that refurbs trade-ins and auction cars for local dealers. I had them remove the serpentine belt to see if the noise would go away. It didn't. They had it for a week and a half and drove it every day and they still couldn't pinpoint the issue. They quoted me about $2100 to replace the timing belt, plugs and wires, water pump,and the catalytic converters. They didn't seem very confident that it would fix my issues so I will be dropping my car off with an independent Japanese car repair shop with a good reputation on Wednesday next week, who mentioned that I may have a VVT solenoid issue. I will keep you posted.
Old 02-25-16, 11:13 AM
LexFlexTex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. Please keep me posted thanks!
Old 03-18-16, 07:02 AM
LexFlexTex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update on my end: I used an automotive stethoscope and along with the help of a mechanic friend we determined the noise to be from the power steering pump. We also noticed some seepage coming from the pump so it definitely needs to be replaced.
Old 03-18-16, 01:48 PM
Leeroy
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

So I took it to another independent and he told me the IAC valve was the culprit. Turns out, it was not. So, another parts swapper bites the dust. I believe that I have narrowed it down to a faulty air control valve to the PS pump. With the vacuum lines removed from the reservoir, the RPMs go up to an acceptable range on the car. Reconnect the hoses, RPMs drop back down.

Last edited by Leeroy; 03-18-16 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 04:13 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I get the same noise in my 1998. I also thought at first it could be the power steering pump and maybe it is, they are known to leak and maybe just low on fluid. The power steering fluid leaks onto the alternator which could be another culprit.

My best guess would be the transmission itself. A lot of LS's I've come across have had this same whining noise, and I'm thinking maybe it is a common noise for high mileage LS trannys
Old 03-30-16, 04:14 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

just read your last post, air valve to the power steering pump, eh? that would make sense
Old 03-30-16, 05:21 PM
JJDAG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeroy
So I took it to another independent and he told me the IAC valve was the culprit. Turns out, it was not. So, another parts swapper bites the dust. I believe that I have narrowed it down to a faulty air control valve to the PS pump. With the vacuum lines removed from the reservoir, the RPMs go up to an acceptable range on the car. Reconnect the hoses, RPMs drop back down.
My 99 has made that same whine since I bought it. I too thought it was the powersteering pump but after replacing the pump the noise didn't change. It had 88k about a year ago now it has close to 110k seems the noise it getting louder but only after i've been driving for a while, my idle is also on the low side unless I have the a/c or defrost turned on. None of it has slowed the car down one bit though, still runs like a bear.
Did the noise go away when you disconnected the vacuum lines? I am going to replace or disconnect the air control valve on my LS but it my take a while before my work schedule allows me the time. I will post the outcome as well.
Old 07-19-16, 08:29 AM
JJDAG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise fixed

Originally Posted by Leeroy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3deD93y9HM

Here is a video I just took of the noise.Sorry about the poor quality, my phone's camera sensor is failing. It's kind of hard to hear because of the background noise, but if you listen closely, you can make out a droning noise that sounds like a nest filled with a thousand wasps. It's a little easier to hear it when I put the camera under the car.
So as I said in prior post my car made the same noise, I though was power steering but new pump did nothing to change it, I disconnected the power steering idle up vacuum lines no changes. Last week end I started driving the noise seemed louder then the battery light came on , I drove t right home checked and found the alternator not charging. this past saturday I replaced the alternator and that noise is completely gone. I used a a/c delco reman they state they replace all bearings, regulator ect. Denso says they check everything and not replacing any parts unless they showed failed. This is not a job I want to do again if I dont have to. For the time ive owned the car its made that noise about 25k miles. Long time for an alternator to finally give up. hope this helps.

John
Old 07-21-16, 02:18 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

seems like the ls was neglected by the previous owner, maybe just changed the oil only once who knows. I would just get rid of the car and try to recoup as much as you can.