LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Car Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-03, 08:34 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car Inspection

Those that wish to live in Japan......... well its nice to be able to get after market stuff but........

Every two years the car needs to go thru a full inspection, The inspection part is good as it checks for everything so now that its done I feel I have a safe car. All the car needed was to replace the emergancy flare it expired and add some brake fluid. But the cost of everything was $900. Most folks must pay this plus get major repairs to pass. I have seen many of cars junked after the inspection. This is another reason Japanese folks get rid of/sell their cars when the JCI is coming due on an 8-10 year old car.

The headaches....... I had to remove the tint on the top front window / front side windows, take off my 18" put on the stock 15", replace the clears corners / clear parking lights, change the headlight bulbs back to stock ones. Now I have to put it all back.

This is one of the reasons I got rid of my 1994 Celsior. I had to do way way more then this for it to pass inspection. The car looked great but come inspection time it was a pain & $$.

Since most folks around here get rid of cars 10 years or older and want newer cars. Those companys that make aftermarket parts stop making them for the older models, Not all but most. Some CL members know this they asked me to get them some stuff but that company stopped making it. Most VIP car owners want newer models.

I started a VIP car club: none of the VIP cars can be over 10 years old. So in a few years I need to get a newer one or I cant be in the club I started. LOL A few of the members wanted cars no older then 5 years old. This might happen in the future as newer members join and if they vote this. I better start saving my money.

Oh so many cars to choose from........... Anyone want to buy a Majesta (just kidding)
Old 04-19-03, 10:35 AM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

sorry to hear that...makes me feel a lot better that i dont have my old Lexus in japan. lol well over here its every 12 months u get your state inspection. its not as tedious in the inspection as japan tho.. but on a serious note, is that why most people walk in japan? because automobiles are more hassle?
Old 04-19-03, 03:41 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

In the big Cities there is no parking or to have a parking space some must pay $75-$150 a month to have a spot.

To get around its easier to just take the train.......
Old 04-20-03, 12:14 AM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

Originally posted by {-.-}
In the big Cities there is no parking or to have a parking space some must pay $75-$150 a month to have a spot.

To get around its easier to just take the train.......
wow thats like two semesters of parking decals for college and yah ...space is limited in japan...i've seen the apartments they have to stay in...and sad to say i'd get to clastraphobic.
Old 04-21-03, 01:23 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Got most of my car put back together.......... I think I will keep the tint OFF the front side windows for awhile.

Tinted the front top window today before it started snowing.

My car looked ugly with stock wheels 15" those had to go.......... I thought my car looked bad 16" w/ snow tires. LOL Might have to put the snow tires back on if it keeps snowing.

At least the cops dont pull me over here for having the windows tinted or mods when im not supposed to. It is a pain to take off all the mods every two years for the BIG inspection. So all the cars you all see with the cool mods on they go thru the same thing everyone of them. I have been told some inspectors can be paid off to look the other way.
Old 04-21-03, 06:32 AM
Vik
Driver

At least the cops dont pull me over here for having the windows tinted or mods when im not supposed to. It is a pain to take off all the mods every two years for the BIG inspection. So all the cars you all see with the cool mods on they go thru the same thing everyone of them. I have been told some inspectors can be paid off to look the other way.
It's a real hassle. I had the same experience when I was in russia But it happens every year there. As the last resort you can bribe inspector.

I saw imported japanese cars here. Tint level is crazy. How you suppose to see something though tint like this ? Or real samurai can drive blind ?
Old 04-21-03, 07:08 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

It is hard to see sometimes like backing up at night......... I went to a VIP car show about 6 months ago and I saw about 10-15 cars that had the whole front window tinted too......

Two cars looked good it had every window tinted one was light yellow like the sunglasses color it was a brown color car with white interior which looked great with the yellow tint........ and one was light blue. On those cars you can still see out of.

I dont think samurai's drive they just glide thru the air........
Old 04-22-03, 03:42 AM
theomms
Driver

ha! you guys are spoiled and have no idea when it comes to parking.

i live in san francisco and my school parking permit cost $300. check this out though when i worked downtown i wanted to get a parking space; guess what ....the cheapest was $350 a month !! also you have to be careful of what parking meter you use because you only get 15 minute for a quarter on some of them!
Old 04-22-03, 04:50 AM
Vik
Driver

I dont think samurai's drive they just glide thru the air........
Using ultrasonic waves generated by their mind for orientation old story...
Old 05-25-03, 06:52 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Talking

Well its been a little over a month now since I had my car inspected.

I tried to hold out on NOT tinting the front side windows........ 3 weeks with out it I could not hang.

I sent my Carlssons 18" Evo 1/6 to get redone. Looks new again. It cost alot but plus the shipping to and from the company total was about $110 a wheel.

Made a custom Bltiz air cleaner intake to fit into my stock system........ I was told they dont make them for my car. LOOKS GREEEEAAAAT!!

Found a great buy on Gounding (Earthing) system in light blue. 41% off. it was only discounted for the day. $39. I heard alot of good things about doing this so I did it. Prices range up to $200 a kit. WOW

Detailed my engine with Earls steel braided hoses and dark blue vacuum lines. Replace some ugly parts with new ones and cleaned cleaned & cleaned. Looks outstanding.

In two years from now it just means I have to take more stuff off to pass inspection again.

I want to replace my Fan does anyone know if there is a nice one that I can get, that will fit right on to the clutch section.

My Japanse friend that helps me wants a Snap-On and Craftmans tools catalog. Does anyone have one or both laying around you dont use or need. I will trade you for a VIP mag or two.

Old 05-25-03, 08:50 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

hey sup guy? i'll see if i can get those catalogs for you... i will look tomorrow.
Old 05-25-03, 11:06 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

thanks!
Old 06-12-03, 01:56 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

I got the catalogs thanks
Old 04-05-05, 09:43 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

How times flies........ I just had my 2 year car inspection done again. Pain in the butt !!
Old 04-07-05, 07:52 PM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have to ask....

Hey "{-.-}" ...

What exactly are you doing (job,army or school) in Japan?
Are you a Native?
Or an import yourself.

Sorry to be so nosey....

And can we have a pic of your engine?

Lorenzo
92 LS400 175k

Quick Reply: Car Inspection