LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Adding technology to your LS to bring it into the 21st century

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 10:34 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Question Adding technology to your LS to bring it into the 21st century

I'm in the process of looking at adding some new Wi-Fi compatible audio and T-Mobile's Wi-Fi bongle to the car.

This will give me Pandora/Google Play/etc streaming music, Bluetooth calling, maps, backup camera, etc and bring my driving experience into the 21st century.

Are there any other applications/hacks that you have explored?
Old 02-05-16, 10:54 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Only mod I've done to the car and I feel it was a necessity - double din alpine with hands free, bluetooth, pandora, ect. I know people like to keep everything as stock as possible and build on that but this is a huge exception for me especially given the radio display was acting up. And with a 10-band parametric EQ the system never sounded better after dialing it all in. For me it was better to just swap it out than to hack the stock setup. I kept all the stock components so it can easily go back to stock.
Old 02-05-16, 11:09 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

What model Alpine are you using?
Old 02-05-16, 11:14 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Kept it cheap and simple -- skipped Nav/touchscreen since modern phones have far better nav than any headunit I've seen. Got it for under $200 at a local dealer ex-employee pricing

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500W265...DE-W265BT.html

Ended up working out VERY well aesthetically. The display and button color/hue/brightness can be adjusted (RGB independent color control) to perfectly match the OEM dash light color.

It could have been 100% integrated with the OEM speakers with 100% functionality by bypassing the door speakers straight to the head unit (this unit has built-in high pass filters for that!), then wiring the sub output of the head unit to the factory amp so the factory sub would work and be controllable via the sub level control on the unit. But I went ahead and swapped the stock amp out with a mono block and tossed a sub in the trunk.

Another cool thing that I discovered later is that you can adjust the front and rear levels independantly of the fader. Since our cars have 2 ohm front speakers and 4 ohm rear, without this little feature you'd have to leave it faded half way to the rear to get a balanced sound.

Last edited by djamps; 02-05-16 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-05-16, 11:35 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

21st century has been lame so far, i like to keep mine in the 20th century with my cassette adaptor
Old 02-05-16, 11:43 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Ha, I did that for a while. But it totally ruins the sound quality and no longer takes advantage of the awesome speakers we were blessed from the factory with.
Old 02-05-16, 11:47 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Hope you are considering a driiver, so you can enjoy the music and internet as you go..
we have some people doing all that stuff while they are driving in our traffic here in Texas ..
just sayin'
Old 02-05-16, 11:48 AM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be happy with an aux plug to plug the phone into. Play music, nav etc
Old 02-05-16, 11:48 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i updated most of the lighting to LED in the interior, HID in the exterior as well as LED tailight bulbs for more visibility overall. of course tint nowadays is much better adding to the overall aesthetics as well as comfort to the interior. sound system/phone integration/nav is a must.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
21st century has been lame so far, i like to keep mine in the 20th century with my cassette adaptor
lol! i do like the nostalgia of that tape deck! so crazy lexus still included it in their cars up until 5 years ago!
Old 02-05-16, 11:59 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
Ha, I did that for a while. But it totally ruins the sound quality and no longer takes advantage of the awesome speakers we were blessed from the factory with.
i had an old belkin tape adaptor and i agree that thing kinda sucked... so i'd often make CD's and use that (best quality option). but recently i was browsing amazon and i saw a besdata adaptor that was very highly rated and on sale for like $7 instead of the original $20 something, and it works VERY well. you just have to make sure the volume on the phone output isn't too high and it'll still bump with very clear quality.

i love how that dash looks and i don't wanna change it. i just think about my man ichiro suzuki and how hard him and his team worked to make that car as it is.

i mean come on i could never do something to go against this guy...
Old 02-05-16, 02:58 PM
SteezyLS98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone here have the navi/touch screen unit with the back up camera for the second gen was thinking about puting that in soon
Old 02-05-16, 03:01 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
Hope you are considering a driiver, so you can enjoy the music and internet as you go..
we have some people doing all that stuff while they are driving in our traffic here in Texas ..
just sayin'
Well, the main reason I got a new stereo was sound quality but 2nd was safety. Not having to reach for the phone when it rings or to change stations is a huge +. With a cassette adapter and no bluetooth I'd be fumbling around with the phone way more than I like. Not to mention I was pleasantly surprised that the lighting blends in really well with the rest of the dash and doesn't stand out at all like most aftermarket stereos do.
Old 02-05-16, 04:05 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

And if you would just leave it like the factory did it, you wouldn't be crashing into others while playing with the fancy gadgets. Save all the fancy stuff for your home, when in the car your suppose to pay attention to driving.
Old 02-05-16, 04:12 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dicer
And if you would just leave it like the factory did it, you wouldn't be crashing into others while playing with the fancy gadgets. Save all the fancy stuff for your home, when in the car your suppose to pay attention to driving.
Wish I had that luxury.
Old 02-05-16, 04:23 PM
A1Posture
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Djamps do you have a picture of your set up? I'm thinking about adding a double din as well

Quick Reply: Adding technology to your LS to bring it into the 21st century