LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Stuck in pasco washington with my LS/road trip gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-16, 05:31 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven that route on I-90 3 times from Seattle/Federal Way to Atlanta. The mountains in Montana are going to test it. I remember one time making it to Bozeman and my friends Nissan truck crapped out. Luckily it just needed a good tune up but doing that in a hotel parking lot in Feburary sucked. We were across the street from a Kmart that actually had everything we needed. Good luck, will keep you in my thoughts.
Old 02-01-16, 05:34 PM
CynderES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 100 miles out from lookout pass, the LS rode like a cloud on the way there, no sliding, 1' of snow, didn't even faze it. Thanks for thinking of us!
Old 02-01-16, 05:48 PM
sndlight
Driver

Sounds like you got it!
Change the oil when you can. Excess heat will degrade its usable life.
Old 02-01-16, 07:04 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

With only $300 your best bet is to buy enough coolant and/or distilled water to fill the trunk and back seat and make a run for it.

EDIT looks like you already did! good luck!
Old 02-01-16, 07:10 PM
CynderES
Driver School Candidate

As I dictate this to my Google Voice assistance I am just passing underneath the Continental Divide I have lost less than two cups of coolant for my entire 250 mile drive so far and has about 500 miles left to go everything's looking pretty good I will update this post further in about 7 hours when I arrive home but as at this moment the trac is saving my life in the six inches of snow that still on the road and I'm not losing coolant I'm staying within temp. it's really going good so far Really appreciate all the kind words guys thanks
Old 02-02-16, 02:46 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Hmmm you should be there by now then???? Glad all is going good for you. And your case is a good example of approved use of anti leak stuff in the cooling system. When you get a chance get some good stuff to flush the system real good. And thanks for keeping us up to date on the progress. Kind of not fun trip when you are worrying about the car having problems. And be happy you haven't run into a closed for 6 or 7 hour road due to snow and wrecks, like I did back in the mid 70's in Oregon, not fun at all. Can't leave the engine running to keep warm burns too much gas in the middle of nowhere, yeah in the day of no fancy electronic gadget to tell you how far away the nearest gas station is.

Last edited by dicer; 02-02-16 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-02-16, 02:49 AM
CynderES
Driver School Candidate

I'm just passing by exit 342 White Sulphur Springs dicer I am about a hundred miles out from home its been a rough night but the Lexus has been perfect. I am going to order the timing belt and water pump kit tonight before I go to bed and try to figure out some way to get all of that leak stop crap out of there cuz I have no desire for anything else that might be sensitive inside. It looks like right now we have a tentative mission accomplished. Thanks!
Old 02-02-16, 02:55 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Wow you been awake for awhile huh? I had no idea Montana was so far away from eastern wa. So you had a crappy snow mess all the way there I suppose. Really glad all is going good for ya. Take it easy the last bit, and don't get in too big a hurry, its easy to goof up getting closer to home. Maybe hit the sack and order parts in the morning.
Old 02-02-16, 03:01 AM
CynderES
Driver School Candidate

Might be a smart idea I'm only taken in 75 the rest of the way home there's too many truckers and too many cops in too much if things go wrong but tomorrow I've got a video and a few pictures to of the Ls up on top of the pass and everything else that I'll post so I guess at least a little something good came out of it. And yeah the snow was terrible but it was only for about 20 miles before the Idaho border on the Washington side up to about 200 miles out on the Montana side of the border but it cut off pretty good after I hit butte. Long drive though, 10 hours + snow = exhausted Cyn and an LS that deserves a rest
Old 02-02-16, 04:47 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

that car is a keeper....got u home(hopefully) in one of the worst scenarios possible,long way from home...bad weather..no money....wow!
Old 02-02-16, 05:04 AM
CynderES
Driver School Candidate

Just made it back, the final hundred miles was uneventful except for hitting a pole and almost going into the yellowstone river. Luckily it was a breakaway snow marker, still scratched the crap out of my near mint bumper cover. But she made it home no worse for wear and i still have a hundred bucks to spare. Heres some math for ya
Trip distance: 1,521 miles
Cost of fuel: $159 (included a full tank when i came back)
Gallons of fuel used (89 octane): 78
Trip average mpg: 19.5
Trip average speed (gps measured) (all highway): 76.2 mph
Elevation change: 5958'
Water pump is a necessity by the end of this week, im sure ill be back here picking your brains when that happens. Heres a few pics of the trip before i call it a night

Old 02-02-16, 07:48 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Congrats, you made it!! And nice fuel economy, if I do say so myself.

Sorry that your bumper got scratched, but that can always be repaired. That's what bumpers are for!
Old 02-02-16, 08:27 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nice makin it home! Since I made it home from a long trip with a leaky water pump in summer, I really had a feelin you were gonna be ok just cruising back home nice and easy in cooler weather. Amazing car huh?

Lets see some pics of the ol' steed!
Old 02-02-16, 09:33 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Glad you made it home!

Mike
Old 02-02-16, 11:03 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

man i bet your glad to be home! i was gunna say dump the coolant into the car and straight haul *** as fast as you can go and get home! i remember once i was on a desolate stretch of road with 100 miles of nothing each direction in my 90 when my alternator suddenly decided it didn't want to agree with the rest of the car anymore about half way to my destination. it was at night and all the warning lights started coming on. ill never forget that sinking feeling watching all the lights dim and watching my gauges flicker and jump. luckily these cars can run with no alternator as long as you keep moving, but youll loose your lights and all electronics completely. i don't think ive ever drove that car so fast in my life! i had her wide open 155 mph absolutely FLYING with next to no lights but thank god it was late at night and next to no traffic. i got off the ramp and had to STAND on the gas to keep her going in neutral. i barley, barley made it home, car shut down just as i was pulling into the complex i was living at the time. Ls400s are great cars but when they freak out far from home they get really scary.

Quick Reply: Stuck in pasco washington with my LS/road trip gone bad