LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

water pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-16, 08:16 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Default water pump

Does anyone know where a leaking water pump will leak out at? Where is the weep hole?
Old 01-22-16, 08:45 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

no known weep holes
changed several (every 100k) but never had a leak..
Attached Thumbnails water pump-s-l1600.jpg   water pump-s-l1610.jpg  
Old 01-22-16, 09:17 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Thanks Billy. I guess the leak is an old problem that came back. When I was changing out my starter, the coolant pipe that runs from the front to the back of the engine (underneath the intakes) broke free while I was trying to get the rubber hose off the end of it. I actually heard a crack. After I fixed my starter problem, I took a look at the pipe and found that it only had a gasket holding it in, so I put a new gasket on it and reassembled the engine. Well, that pipe leaked like crazy. I took it apart again and used some sealant on the pipe and tried using JBWeld where the pipe came out of the block. I thought I had it fixed then and haven't thought much about it for months. I have had several leaks, so didn't think much about losing coolant. But I fixed the last of my coolant leaks last week and it started leaking real bad through the valley of the engine block(just like it did when I first worked on that pipe). So, I was hoping there was a weep hole behind the water pump because I really didn't want to take out the intakes(for the fourth time) again and tackle that pipe that I don't have a great solution for anyway. I'll take any and all replies because I am tired of chasing this leak.
Old 01-22-16, 12:10 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

so.... take it off again and fix it right (replace if necessary) this time.. you can do it..use NEW orings
Old 01-22-16, 04:52 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by billydpowe
so.... take it off again and fix it right (replace if necessary) this time.. you can do it..use NEW orings
Went to the Lexus place and got a new gasket. I asked to talk to a mechanic because I knew there was something else wrong I was doing. I spoke with the mechanic and we went back and forth for a while till he said "let me show you a water pump I pulled out today". As soon as he showed me the water pump I knew what was wrong. The housing on my water pump had a section (of where the pipe went into it) missing. Like it was busted off. So now it looks like I will be doing a water pump and I would guess a whole timing belt kit to go with it because I have no idea how long that belt has been on there. So now the new questions begin. How hard is a water pump/timing belt change on these cars? I've done one on a 2003 v6 santa fe- but that is the extent of my knowledge. Are there any good online procedures for the 1995-1996 LS400? Any special tools? Any recommended kits?
Old 01-22-16, 06:45 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jaaa
Went to the Lexus place and got a new gasket. I asked to talk to a mechanic because I knew there was something else wrong I was doing. I spoke with the mechanic and we went back and forth for a while till he said "let me show you a water pump I pulled out today". As soon as he showed me the water pump I knew what was wrong. The housing on my water pump had a section (of where the pipe went into it) missing. Like it was busted off. So now it looks like I will be doing a water pump and I would guess a whole timing belt kit to go with it because I have no idea how long that belt has been on there. So now the new questions begin. How hard is a water pump/timing belt change on these cars? I've done one on a 2003 v6 santa fe- but that is the extent of my knowledge. Are there any good online procedures for the 1995-1996 LS400? Any special tools? Any recommended kits?
It isn't difficult; it's time consuming. I would plan on two full days under the hood. You'll need a torque wrench that's rated high enough for the crank bolt and some method to keep the crank from turning while you torque the bolt. There's a tool you can buy for this that costs about $60, but I used a 2x4 drilled with holes for bolts that thread into the crank pulley. Baggies and a sharpie will keep your bolts organized.
Old 01-22-16, 07:15 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
It isn't difficult; it's time consuming. I would plan on two full days under the hood. You'll need a torque wrench that's rated high enough for the crank bolt and some method to keep the crank from turning while you torque the bolt. There's a tool you can buy for this that costs about $60, but I used a 2x4 drilled with holes for bolts that thread into the crank pulley. Baggies and a sharpie will keep your bolts organized.
Do the cams tend to stay in place, or do you need some kind of holder? Just started looking at procedures online.
Old 01-22-16, 08:00 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jaaa
Do the cams tend to stay in place, or do you need some kind of holder? Just started looking at procedures online.
The cams might move a little, but not much. I have a 98 and the pistons are set down in the cylinders while you are changing the belt so there's some free play with the cams without anything hitting a valve. You can rock the cam a little to either side until it lines up with the timing mark on the belt when you're pulling it over the cam pulley. Not sure if the same on earlier versions, but I would think so.