LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Almost turned my LS into a submarine last night

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-16, 07:53 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look, none of us are ever gonna be "right" on the topic of modifications because we are giving or commenting on opinions of style choice and personal preferences - so there is no "right" answer! Now, can we get back to the topic of driving a Lexus through deep water? Thanks.

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 01-08-16 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-07-16, 08:39 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
There are so many VIP LS400's for sale on craigslist. It is so much cheaper to get one of them, than goof up a non modified car. I saw one with 85K miles for 3000. And I'm sure they would take less. You can not get an LS and buy the parts and wheels tires, let alone the installation for even close to that.
unless u mod ur car ur way or even at all u have no idea or clue what ur talking about. people do what they want to their cars..doesnt effect u in the least,why ur so intent on making these types of comments on every thread just blows me away. post up a pic of ur car and lets see what kind of shape its in.
Old 01-07-16, 09:26 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

There are so many VIP LS400's for sale on craigslist. It is so much cheaper to get one of them, than goof up a non modified car. I saw one with 85K miles for 3000. And I'm sure they would take less. You can not get an LS and buy the parts and wheels tires, let alone the installation for even close to that.
Alright, I agree - THIS is a clown car, though I coulda used this LS4x4 the other night!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5331080772.html

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 01-08-16 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-07-16, 09:37 AM
9000revs
Pole Position

I will still contest that if done in moderation, suspension modding will improve the handling, acceleration and stopping characteristics of the LS400, at a small penalty in the form of ride (maybe 20% firmer). I have done it to my LS and my other cars, so unless you do it yourself, it is not fair to make blanket statements about modding (suspension). Try putting on light wheels and see what difference it makes to your ride first - my setup saved almost 8 lbs at each corner.

Last edited by 9000revs; 01-07-16 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-07-16, 09:51 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I find it humorous when someone puts $15,000 or modifications on a $10,000 car and then tries to sell it for $25,000 in the forum classifieds. And then wonders why it sits unsold for over a year.
Old 01-07-16, 12:39 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by python
unless u mod ur car ur way or even at all u have no idea or clue what ur talking about. people do what they want to their cars..doesnt effect u in the least,why ur so intent on making these types of comments on every thread just blows me away. post up a pic of ur car and lets see what kind of shape its in.
It has affected me lots. HOW? Because I can not find a decent car.
And that is why my comments.
And because that same super good car some one goofed up, is then on the market after all the goof ups have been done. And for less than it was bought for. Gosh sell it to me before the crap is done. Just don't take a pristine car and mess it up. That is why I constantly post what I do. I would have sprung a decent offer for that 3000 mile 1990 that was posted on here if it was a truly loaded version. Now I wish I would have done something about it. So yeah I got a good reason to complain about messed up LS's.

Last edited by dicer; 01-07-16 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-07-16, 09:32 PM
python
Lexus Champion

makes absolutely no sense what so ever..none
Old 01-08-16, 02:21 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

And it never will to some one that really doesn't care about something in top notch condition. To others here it will make perfect sense.

A scratch here or a gouge there, means nothing to some people. To someone that is fussy it means a lot.
Old 01-08-16, 06:59 AM
python
Lexus Champion

And it never will to some one that really doesn't care about something in top notch condition. To others here it will make perfect sense.

A scratch here or a gouge there, means nothing to some people. To someone that is fussy it means a lot.
here ya go..again not a clue what ur talking about
Old 01-08-16, 07:19 AM
CynderES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Python, that is beautiful.... wheel/tire setup? Are the brakes a swap with DnS rotors or a complete aftermarket kit? Lookin great.
Old 01-08-16, 07:42 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

It has affected me lots. HOW? Because I can not find a decent car.
And that is why my comments.
And because that same super good car some one goofed up, is then on the market after all the goof ups have been done. And for less than it was bought for. Gosh sell it to me before the crap is done. Just don't take a pristine car and mess it up. That is why I constantly post what I do. I would have sprung a decent offer for that 3000 mile 1990 that was posted on here if it was a truly loaded version. Now I wish I would have done something about it. So yeah I got a good reason to complain about messed up LS's.
Not sure where you're looking Dicer but I did a search for LS400 on craigslist Seattle and there are literally dozens of cars...only a few of which looked like they have been mod'd. Seems to me the reason you "can not find a decent car" is not because guys like me have modified our cars and then dumped them on the market; it's because these cars are now in the 20-30 year-old age range and...surprise...surprise - most people do not take care of their vehicles. It's that simple. In fact, I would argue that most modification enthusiasts take better care of their cars and DO NOT attempt to sell them because they know they will never get back what they put into them.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/search...mi&query=LS400

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 01-08-16 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-08-16, 08:37 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CynderES
@Python, that is beautiful.... wheel/tire setup? Are the brakes a swap with DnS rotors or a complete aftermarket kit? Lookin great.
thank you..the bbk kit i put together...the rotors were bought from a seller on ebay called I ROTORS which has since gone out of business. they havent rusted a bit and ive had them on for 5+years and havent changed the pads that came with them. the calipers are nugeon and are from a 95+ setup. the wheels are stern st-6 yoshi's(18x8.5 35 offset)..discontinued,the thing is the way are made they wrap right around the caliper and barely clear without spacers. tires are hankook v-12 evo 2's..fantastic tires btw. car is sitting on megans..everything is in the conservative manner..nothing extreme like some of the guys here..to each his own i say and never question someone else's way of fixing their cars..they are all great cars in my eyes..even the stock ones. irritates me when others have negative things to say..i dont mod to make others happy.
Old 01-08-16, 08:39 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Most people do not take care of their vehicles. It's that simple. In fact, I would argue that most modification enthusiast take VERY good care of their cars and DO NOT attempt to sell them because they know they will never get back what they put into them.
haha...well said,and true..very true
Old 01-08-16, 11:52 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Not sure where you're looking Dicer but I did a search for LS400 on craigslist Seattle and there are literally dozens of cars...only a few of which looked like they have been mod'd. Seems to me the reason you "can not find a decent car" is not because guys like me have modified our cars and then dumped them on the market; it's because these cars are now in the 20-30 year-old range and...surprise...surprise! Most people do not take care of their vehicles. It's that simple. In fact, I would argue that most modification enthusiast take VERY good care of their cars and DO NOT attempt to sell them because they know they will never get back what they put into them.
You need to look at the forum classifieds to see how many modded Lexus are trying to be sold. If you mod your car be prepared to eat your losses.
Old 01-08-16, 01:48 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tradosauru
You need to look at the forum classifieds to see how many modded Lexus are trying to be sold. If you mod your car be prepared to eat your losses.
Stating the obvious...again.

Quick Reply: Almost turned my LS into a submarine last night