LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New owner, list of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 06:47 PM
Andydale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner, list of questions...

I just picked up a 1993 LS400. Only 69k on the clock. I will not disclose purchase price, but it was way less then what KBB listed. Body is a little rough, door dings, scrapes, etc. Interior is like new. I will post some pics later on. I have a list of little annoyances or questions going on with the car I am hoping everyone here can steer me in the right direction . I am a car guy with lots of experience with Fords and Chevy, this is my first foreign car. Here we go:

The air bag light is on. Is there a common failure to look for? The car has never been wrecked.

There seems to be a slight exhaust leak on the passenger side, somewhere near the front tire. I can see the catalytic converter? and it does not appear to be damaged. What should I be looking for? Is there a common failure point?

This next one might be related to the exhaust leak. The engine seems to have a slight lope to it at idle and the passenger exhaust outlet has a slight smell of rotten eggs. Drivers side doesn't seem to smell. No check engine light. Engine seems to perform fine otherwise. Thoughts?

Also engine related... When listening to the engine idle it sounds like the valve train is noisy, but it doesn't seem to change or anything with engine temp, etc. When you get your ear close to the engine, it seems to be coming from the injectors. I had a buddy that had a 1989 Pontiac with noisy injectors, could this be the same thing??

I better stop for now. Thanks in advance to everyone!!!
Old 12-30-15, 12:38 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

any reason you don't want to disclose the price?
Old 12-30-15, 01:18 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

No price, then no ideas here. Good luck on the LS.
Old 12-30-15, 04:54 PM
Andydale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price...

Originally Posted by Andydale
I just picked up a 1993 LS400. Only 69k on the clock. I will not disclose purchase price, but it was way less then what KBB listed. Body is a little rough, door dings, scrapes, etc. Interior is like new. I will post some pics later on. I have a list of little annoyances or questions going on with the car I am hoping everyone here can steer me in the right direction . I am a car guy with lots of experience with Fords and Chevy, this is my first foreign car. Here we go:

The air bag light is on. Is there a common failure to look for? The car has never been wrecked.

There seems to be a slight exhaust leak on the passenger side, somewhere near the front tire. I can see the catalytic converter? and it does not appear to be damaged. What should I be looking for? Is there a common failure point?

This next one might be related to the exhaust leak. The engine seems to have a slight lope to it at idle and the passenger exhaust outlet has a slight smell of rotten eggs. Drivers side doesn't seem to smell. No check engine light. Engine seems to perform fine otherwise. Thoughts?

Also engine related... When listening to the engine idle it sounds like the valve train is noisy, but it doesn't seem to change or anything with engine temp, etc. When you get your ear close to the engine, it seems to be coming from the injectors. I had a buddy that had a 1989 Pontiac with noisy injectors, could this be the same thing??

I better stop for now. Thanks in advance to everyone!!!
The only reason I didn't put price down is I didn't want anyone to get to jealous, that being said, I only paid $2999.
Old 12-30-15, 06:54 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

As I wrote on your original thread, welcome!

Nice find; the exterior can always be brought back to new.

Regarding the air bag light, it is a common issue. I had this myself, when I removed the instrument cluster for repair. If the air bag is intact and has not been removed before, your cluster may have also been repaired in the past. You can find the fix for that, as well as many other tutorials regarding the LS400 here.
Old 12-30-15, 07:51 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

YEP, just go to lexls.com and do a little reading...
Old 12-31-15, 01:45 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

For that price the body should not be a little rough, I should talk I did about the same $1 more, it has a few not so nice areas and that was when I was getting interested in these cars. When I get chance I'll study the airbag light deal.
Did you get any service records with it? Ex leak could be one of the flanges, gasket blown out etc.
Tick, these are not hydraulic, lash set with a shim. Smell that side is running a bit richer, maybe o2 sensor? But I'd think that would show a code. Sitting forever, maybe some gum on injectors maybe a slight cold start valve leak etc.