LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1996 LS400 Ski Trips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 06:00 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Question 1996 LS400 Ski Trips?

So I got a 96 ls400 and I am wondering how it will do on a ski trip. I live in a desert so I will be driving up through the mountains. I do have two questions. How does the ls400 handle the snow and will I be needing to use snow chains? (I really don't want to get full snow tires as they will be useless where I live) Is it possible to get a ski rack or trunk rack or will I be needing to put the skis in the car?

Thanks
Old 12-29-15, 06:26 PM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 98-00 has a snow mode, I tried it on my last Lake Tahoe trip and it was very niece, no skid, handles very well. I'm not sure what exactly happen when you put it on snow mode, maybe someone who know can explain
Old 12-29-15, 06:45 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by anesthesia
The 98-00 has a snow mode, I tried it on my last Lake Tahoe trip and it was very niece, no skid, handles very well. I'm not sure what exactly happen when you put it on snow mode, maybe someone who know can explain
I got the 96 so I dont have the snow mode on mine. I also don't have traction control.
Old 12-29-15, 08:14 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by winter4w
I got the 96 so I dont have the snow mode on mine. I also don't have traction control.
I personally would not recommend taking the LS without traction control on the mountains with snow, especially if it's your first time driving up there. I have a 91' without traction control, and I could not see good things happening on such a trip without snow chains or snow tires.
Old 12-30-15, 11:28 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

unless it's broken or removed every LS ever has had at least TRAC, not necessarily VSC but there's always been some form of traction control. basically it's gonna be like any RWD car in the snow (crappy) and you're gonna definitely want a good set a snow tires (Blizzak WS80 is my recommendation) and you're still gonna want to probably have chains just in case.

i'm sure you can get some sort of rack but it's sort of irritating that there's no rear seat pass through so unless you have tiny skis there's gonna be issues fitting it all in the car. i speak from experience on all of this btw.
Old 12-30-15, 11:33 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
unless it's broken or removed every LS ever has had at least TRAC, not necessarily VSC but there's always been some form of traction control. basically it's gonna be like any RWD car in the snow (crappy) and you're gonna definitely want a good set a snow tires (Blizzak WS80 is my recommendation) and you're still gonna want to probably have chains just in case.

i'm sure you can get some sort of rack but it's sort of irritating that there's no rear seat pass through so unless you have tiny skis there's gonna be issues fitting it all in the car. i speak from experience on all of this btw.
Not true. Trac is a option. The only anti skid traction deal that is not an option is ABS for brakes.
Old 12-30-15, 04:04 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
I personally would not recommend taking the LS without traction control on the mountains with snow, especially if it's your first time driving up there. I have a 91' without traction control, and I could not see good things happening on such a trip without snow chains or snow tires.
Originally Posted by Stroock639

Well I will likely be taking it during the spring. I will be putting a new set of tires on my car due to my old ones are near the end of their life. I don't really wanna get winter tires because 1. they are expensive and I live in a desert so they will be pointless unless I got skiing. 2. There are not many options for winter tires by me because we never get snow and if we do it does not stick. So I will likely be sticking with all season tires. I am wondering tho with the chains would that be good enough? I will also be having allot of weight in the trunk and in the rear cabin. So I guess my main question is for those of you who drove in the snow with no all season tires and possible chains was it really difficult???

Also for the ski rack I guess worst case I can put the skis in the car. I do have a case for my skis to protect them so that should also protect the leather.
Old 12-31-15, 02:11 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Driving any car or truck in the snow, is a skill level thing. What was okay for one person may not be for the other.
Just like people that think 4 wheel drive is magic in the snow, and then either end up in a ditch or up side down and on the roof. It is not just the vehicle but the nut behind the wheel that determines how well the car handles in the snow.
Since the LS is rear wheel drive, I would think having about 200 lbs in the trunk would be helpful in the snow.
You do not want fat ie wide tires in the snow, you want skinny tires, wide ones will act like a toboggan and let you slip and slide. Aggressive tread helps and so do studs for ice conditions. I like to have the same snow type tires in front and back, since it is important to be able to steer. Driving in snow is like flying, you kinda let it go where it wants and just lightly nudge it in the correct direction. If you can handle a car at over 160 in turns etc. you should have no problem driving 50 or 60 on ice and snow. Remember that if the road is well worn compact snow and ice, that your best traction will be where no one has driven, snow has better grip than ice. Oh and really your better off not speeding in the snow and ice. Test your ABS and be aware of how it is going to react. I'm looking forward to some snow, I want to see how the LS does in it.

Last edited by dicer; 12-31-15 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-31-15, 09:40 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Not true. Trac is a option. The only anti skid traction deal that is not an option is ABS for brakes.
didn't know that, thought it was always standard.

snow tires aren't THAT expensive, my blizzaks were like $118 per tire, as opposed to like $200 a tire for my turanzas on the 18s. considering the potential to save your car they have i think it's worth it. but as dicer said there's no 'magic fail-safe' or anything you still have to be cautious and possess a certain amount of common sense.
Old 12-31-15, 12:43 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

I go to the mountains in the summer, and just stay home in the winter...
Old 12-31-15, 12:58 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Weight in the trunk and new tires will help A LOT. People instantly assume if something is RWD then it is completely undrivable in the snow. A big, heavy car like the LS that has a good weight distribution and narrower stock tires does great in the snow IMO. I'd much rather drive an LS over an ES if you gave me a choice,

Also, how much snow are we talking about on the roads? If its less than 3-4" and not ice like we sometimes get here in Tennessee, you will be fine.

Also are you running the stock size wheels/tires? If you're running a wider performance 17-20" wheel/tire combo that is going to make it A LOT harder to drive in snow. With snow, you want a skinny tire with lots of sidewall, big/wide performance tires act like snow shoes, they never dig down to the pavement where you actually have grip.

Last edited by Aron9000; 12-31-15 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-31-15, 03:51 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Question Hmm ok

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Weight in the trunk and new tires will help A LOT. People instantly assume if something is RWD then it is completely undrivable in the snow. A big, heavy car like the LS that has a good weight distribution and narrower stock tires does great in the snow IMO. I'd much rather drive an LS over an ES if you gave me a choice,

Also, how much snow are we talking about on the roads? If its less than 3-4" and not ice like we sometimes get here in Tennessee, you will be fine.

Also are you running the stock size wheels/tires? If you're running a wider performance 17-20" wheel/tire combo that is going to make it A LOT harder to drive in snow. With snow, you want a skinny tire with lots of sidewall, big/wide performance tires act like snow shoes, they never dig down to the pavement where you actually have grip.
I think I will be sticking with stock all season tires. I will be going to costco some time this month or next to get a new set of tires. My current ones I will need to check but those are warn out. In the rain I skid a tad on turns so I am due for new tires. I will likely be picking them up a week before I head out. I might take my car up to Flag since that is only a 2 hour drive and see how she will handle snow in a parking lot. I don't have plans to do 50-60 mph in the snow since a majority of the time i'm in it will be in the mountains, so I will likely be doing 30-35mph. I will also bring a pair of snow chains for it just incase I do start to skid allot. I am also aware that it is whoever is behind the wheel is how good it will be in snow. When we go skiing I always see the 4 wheel drive cars stuck in the ditch because whoever was driving it though if they have 4 wheel that can do anything.

With ski racks and show chains I would like to know what you guys use. I have been looking on the forums and people say they got racks for there ls but never give a model or product ID.

So what snow chains do you guys recommend?
Those of you who have Ski Racks what do you use?

Thanks

Last edited by winter4w; 12-31-15 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Add title
Old 12-31-15, 06:04 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I see no way to put a ski rack on an LS without damaging the car. Unless a bracket system is fabricated to attach to existing bolt points or holes under the trunk, similar to what a trailer hitch would have to connect to.
I would not put anything on the roof, or the top of the trunk. And its not an old Subaru legacy that has a fold down rear seat.
Old 12-31-15, 06:51 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Default Trunk Rack

Originally Posted by dicer
I see no way to put a ski rack on an LS without damaging the car. Unless a bracket system is fabricated to attach to existing bolt points or holes under the trunk, similar to what a trailer hitch would have to connect to.
I would not put anything on the roof, or the top of the trunk. And its not an old Subaru legacy that has a fold down rear seat.
Well a trunk rack would be just as good as a roof. Do you know any good racks I can put on the trunk?
Old 12-31-15, 06:56 PM
Marvin1314
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes !!! Perfect

Quick Reply: 1996 LS400 Ski Trips?