LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Crankshaft Position Sensor look like this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 10:11 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 12-21-15, 10:14 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...stalled-2.html
Old 12-21-15, 10:22 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Viper1
That makes perfect sense! I was wondering why that thing was spinning freely like that. The idler pulley and belt tensioner need to be replaced as well, so I might as well do them all at the same time as the balancer. Do you know what the name of that housing is? I don't have a service manual yet.

Since this is my daily driver, I am hoping to get all of these parts swapped out in a day. Can you think of any major obstacles I might run into while doing this? Special tools, etc???
I just did mine with the exact same problem.
You will need to rebuild the CSP sensor housing, it is a part of the engine block.
Old 12-21-15, 10:35 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

The cheapest I found was on Rockauto.com

DAYCO PB1673N Premium OEM Replacement Balancer $110.79

Does that seem cheap compared to $300 at the dealership?

I'm guessing I will have to get that big bolt off the end of the crankshaft, right?
I simply used the starter power to jam the crankshaft bolt loose.
Old 12-22-15, 05:48 AM
Viper1
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dashan,
Yeah. I didn't realize how common this problem is for the older 1st and 2nd Gens. Once I get all of the old balancer off and everything wiped down, I plan on using some JB Weld to seal up the damage from the old pulley. By chance, did you get the pulley out without having to remov the radiator or is there simply not enough room with it in? My guess is that you can't get the pulley puller in there without removing it. In this case, I hope I'm wrong. lol

Also, what did you use to hold the bolt in place when you bumped it with the starter. I have never used this method but I'm willing to give it a try.

I almost forgot to ask about timing. With the new pulley, are there timing marks that I need to be made aware of when installing the new one?

Last edited by Viper1; 12-22-15 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-22-15, 07:32 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Remove the radiator.
I simply bumped the big bolt out.
I bought an 2003 LS430 CS pulley.
Old 12-22-15, 10:21 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Dashan,
Yeah. I didn't realize how common this problem is for the older 1st and 2nd Gens. Once I get all of the old balancer off and everything wiped down, I plan on using some JB Weld to seal up the damage from the old pulley. By chance, did you get the pulley out without having to remov the radiator or is there simply not enough room with it in? My guess is that you can't get the pulley puller in there without removing it. In this case, I hope I'm wrong. lol

Also, what did you use to hold the bolt in place when you bumped it with the starter. I have never used this method but I'm willing to give it a try.

I almost forgot to ask about timing. With the new pulley, are there timing marks that I need to be made aware of when installing the new one?
Timing should not be an issue, the belt that controls that is in back of all those covers.

Last edited by sha4000; 12-24-15 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-22-15, 04:01 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Replace the cover that the sensor mounts in. It is not part of the block.
Old 12-22-15, 04:07 PM
Viper1
10th Gear

Originally Posted by cobalt91
Replace the cover that the sensor mounts in. It is not part of the block.
Thanks cobalt91. I was hoping to just replace the messed up cover instead of patch it up.
Old 12-22-15, 08:57 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
And depending on hours of use, ie miles. The used wrecking yard one may do the same in a short time.
The front cover that the sensor fits into is ruined as well. That would be something to get at the wrecking yard.
What is there may work if you remove the burrs inside so the sensor will fit back in the hole correctly. I would JB weld up the holes or maybe silicone over them to keep any water or dirt out, if your not planning on replacing the cover.
So was the serpentine belt staying on and doing anything? That weight came completely off the hub, so it looks.
And previous posts ignored? Cover?
Old 12-23-15, 05:36 AM
Viper1
10th Gear

Originally Posted by dicer
And previous posts ignored? Cover?
The cover was mentioned previously when I made the initial post, but I fully intend to address it once I have it off the car. I guess I was more concerned with getting the correct replacement parts ordered and the needed tools for the job. With my breaker bar, 600 ft. lbs. impact wrench and the bump starter technique, I will get that bolt off somehow. lol
Old 12-27-15, 06:40 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

The cover was mentioned previously when I made the initial post, but I fully intend to address it once I have it off the car. I guess I was more concerned with getting the correct replacement parts ordered and the needed tools for the job. With my breaker bar, 600 ft. lbs. impact wrench and the bump starter technique, I will get that bolt off somehow. lol
Well, it's been over a week now. You have the crank pulley off yet?
Old 12-27-15, 07:20 AM
Viper1
10th Gear

I started the project yesterday. It took me 90 minutes just to get the car up onto my ramps in the barn just because of the freezing rain and muddy conditions. Once in position, I went to work and pulled the radiator and fan assembly.

I will post some pictures once I am done. The crankshaft bolt was no match for my impact gun with 600 ft lbs of torque. It came out in about 60 seconds. The outer portion of the harmonic balancer came off with no effort at all. After getting a good look at it, it's amazing that my car ran like that at all. I decided to use a high temp gasket sealer to fill in the wholes made by the rogue pulley. Due to time constraints, I am not able to replace the parts like I want to. The black plastic cover that goes over the crankshaft is also damaged but I am just going to replace that along with the timing belt in the spring. Wisconsin winters are not ideal for engine work if you don't have a decent work space. Lol

I am heading back out there in a bit so I will keep you posted!

Oh, I have a new coolant temp sensor to install, but I am having trouble locating it. Does anyone have suggestions?
Old 12-27-15, 09:49 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I started the project yesterday. It took me 90 minutes just to get the car up onto my ramps in the barn just because of the freezing rain and muddy conditions. Once in position, I went to work and pulled the radiator and fan assembly.

I will post some pictures once I am done. The crankshaft bolt was no match for my impact gun with 600 ft lbs of torque. It came out in about 60 seconds. The outer portion of the harmonic balancer came off with no effort at all. After getting a good look at it, it's amazing that my car ran like that at all. I decided to use a high temp gasket sealer to fill in the wholes made by the rogue pulley. Due to time constraints, I am not able to replace the parts like I want to. The black plastic cover that goes over the crankshaft is also damaged but I am just going to replace that along with the timing belt in the spring. Wisconsin winters are not ideal for engine work if you don't have a decent work space. Lol

I am heading back out there in a bit so I will keep you posted!

Oh, I have a new coolant temp sensor to install, but I am having trouble locating it. Does anyone have suggestions?
So did you get the new CPS to go in? As far as the coolant temp sensor, that might be a ***** kitty. I remember unplugging it when I replaced my starter. I think you can get to it when you take the upper intake off. If I remember right it is next to the left side of the front coolant bridge. Maybe someone else can chime in, but not sure if you can get to it without pulling the upper intake.
Old 12-27-15, 11:12 AM
Viper1
10th Gear

I had to use a file and clean up some burs left by the old pulley boring into the housing where the sensor resides. I jb weld the holes and the new one is now in place. It ain't pretty but it aught to hold! I had to get creative while finding a way to secure the new balancer so I could torque it properly. I will post picks when I'm done.