LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Oracle Halo light installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 08:24 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oracle Halo light installation

Disconnect battery and remove the headlight assemblies. There are (3) 10mm bolts and (1) 10mm nut holding the lights in. Carefully disconnect all the electrical connectors and set the light on a flat surface to begin disassembly of the headlight in preparation for baking.
Attached Thumbnails Oracle Halo light installation-imag0116.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 11-23-15 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-15-15, 08:29 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Mine are HID so there were several pieces to remove: HID ballast, self-leveling motors, bulbs, grommets, caps, clips, etc., etc.

Some research I did said it's not necessary to do this since the temp. inside your engine bay can get just as hot as an oven but, I'm not taking any chances.
Attached Thumbnails Oracle Halo light installation-imag0117.jpg   Oracle Halo light installation-imag0120.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 11-15-15 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-15-15, 08:43 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Warm up your oven and place the lights on a cookie sheet on the bottom rack one at a time. The temp. I used was 225 for 20 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails Oracle Halo light installation-imag0132.jpg  
Old 11-15-15, 08:49 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Now, with a little bit of elbow grease and a lot of nerve; pick a corner, insert screw driver, and slowly pry them apart. Pretty sure I got the temp right because this didn't take much effort and the melted glue looked like mozzarella cheese. Once I had them apart (and the glue was still warm) I took my screwdriver and made a "channel" in the glue along the edges of the housing and cover so when I go to reassemble them I shouldn't have any issues with big chunks of dried glue.
Attached Thumbnails Oracle Halo light installation-imag0133.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 11-18-15 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-15-15, 08:53 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

I also took this opportunity to refresh the clear lens cover on the pass. side since it was really hazy and starting to yellow. There are all sorts of videos on youtube on how to do this. Basically it's just really fine (wet) sandpaper, clear-coat paint and a lot of time. Came out alright.
Attached Thumbnails Oracle Halo light installation-imag0136.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 11-15-15 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-15-15, 08:56 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Next up was getting my wiring prepared. This is pretty straightforward. I chose to use wire taps into the OEM harness for the parking lights. I figured this was the most logical choice since it's close to where I estimate the wires from the halo's will be connected. Now, just gotta wait for the postman to deliver the halos...to be continued.
Attached Thumbnails Oracle Halo light installation-imag0137.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 12-01-15 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-16-15, 12:20 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

What year?
And I'm sorry I'm a party pooper. But I really wish there was a nation wide law to regulate car lights that are too bright. Its really bad when I have to wear sunglasses at night for ultra bright LED tail lights let alone those head lights that look Like a welding arc, and the sunglasses are just not dark enough either. In the old days there were DOT regs on light brightness.

Last edited by dicer; 11-17-15 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added like
Old 11-16-15, 10:44 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dicer
What year?
And I'm sorry I'm a party pooper. But I really wish there was a nation wide law to regulate car lights that are too bright. Its really bad when I have to wear sunglasses at night for ultra bright LED tail lights let alone those head lights that look a welding arc, and the sunglasses are just not dark enough either. In the old days there were DOT regs on light brightness.
My car is a '98 and I though I agree with some of your concerns I don't think these lights will blind anyone. What gets me are the giant 4x4 trucks with full LED light bars that are like aircraft landing lights! That's not what I'm going for here.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 11-23-15 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-16-15, 03:49 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hiroshi please forgive me but..........There's a joke here somewhere,wish I could think of one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-15, 10:30 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

What year?
And I'm sorry I'm a party pooper. But I really wish there was a nation wide law to regulate car lights that are too bright. Its really bad when I have to wear sunglasses at night for ultra bright LED tail lights let alone those head lights that look a welding arc, and the sunglasses are just not dark enough either. In the old days there were DOT regs on light brightness.
your perceived light sensitivity is not everyone else's problem. the DOT sets brightness, write them a letter. And be prepared to explain how your comfort is more important than other's safety, as the brightness of taillights specifically has been shown to increase driver alertness.
Old 11-17-15, 10:42 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Its not just me. I have no problems with the old cars at all. Years ago I had a friend that had a bright light on his car way before Arc welding lights on cars became fashionable, he made the mistake of flashing them on when a car with brights on approached him, just happened it was a police car. And that light was no where as bright as what there is now. Standards have either been relaxed or just not dealt with.
Old 11-18-15, 03:22 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Its not just me. I have no problems with the old cars at all. Years ago I had a friend that had a bright light on his car way before Arc welding lights on cars became fashionable, he made the mistake of flashing them on when a car with brights on approached him, just happened it was a police car. And that light was no where as bright as what there is now. Standards have either been relaxed or just not dealt with.
Seems like you have not updated yourself to the modern standard more than any issue with progress.
Old 11-18-15, 06:47 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
Hiroshi please forgive me but..........There's a joke here somewhere,wish I could think of one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't follow...
Old 11-18-15, 06:57 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Finally arrived on Monday and I promptly busted two during installation. Grrrrrrr . These things are sooo fragile. Imagine a glass fluorescent light bulb smaller in diameter than a pencil. Oracle was nice enough to not gouge me for a whole new set and just sold me the replacement rings. Delay of game until Friday.
Attached Thumbnails Oracle Halo light installation-imag0139.jpg   Oracle Halo light installation-imag0140.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 12-01-15 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-23-15, 08:31 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Finally had time to continue my install this weekend. One of the first things I needed to figure out was where the rings were supposed to go. They fit nicely on the "inner reflector" but when I mocked them up, it was clear to see that installing the "outer" reflector would crush the rings so the plan was to attach them to the "outside". Duh.

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 11-25-15 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Oracle Halo light installation