LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

for anyone wondering what the muffler delete sounds like

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-15, 04:46 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts
Default for anyone wondering what the muffler delete sounds like

threw this together, used an olympus ME-51S with a windcutter windscreen and a gopro hero 3+ silver. oh and i recommend headphones, i had a windscreen but the mic was still in the direct wind but with headphones i head less wind noise
The following users liked this post:
JBrady (05-07-19)
Old 11-07-15, 09:49 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for taking the time -- I'd like to hear what it sounds like inside the car or from further away? The wind really messed with the audio IMO. Also which mufflers did you delete? All of them?
Old 11-07-15, 10:26 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by djamps
Thanks for taking the time -- I'd like to hear what it sounds like inside the car or from further away? The wind really messed with the audio IMO. Also which mufflers did you delete? All of them?
just the rear 2, axle back is the term i believe...

did you use headphones? i think it helps but yeah even with the windscreen its still a bit windy, the mic was directly in the wind. i'll redo this and get some more exterior shots when i get home from school, maybe thanksgiving break

i have this already but its mostly intake noise you can hear
Old 11-13-15, 11:03 PM
SocalBobby
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same delete you did. I also modified the air filter box for that deep intake sound!!! Much better.
Old 11-13-15, 11:41 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It sounds like an old beater Ford I had with a rusted out exhaust system back in the 60's.
Old 11-14-15, 10:40 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dicer
It sounds like an old beater Ford I had with a rusted out exhaust system back in the 60's.
yoooo thanks man! how'd you know i was going for that old piece of crap sound!?
Old 11-14-15, 12:55 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

not for me, I like the silence
Old 11-17-15, 12:06 PM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought mine with muffler delete and I am not sure if I like it, but I'm giving it a shot, lol. My son says that his friends Silverado sounds about the same, haha...
Old 11-17-15, 12:49 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ultm8mind
I bought mine with muffler delete and I am not sure if I like it, but I'm giving it a shot, lol. My son says that his friends Silverado sounds about the same, haha...
Yeah nothing like making a luxury sedan sound like an old beater with a rusted and burnt out exhaust system, ultimate cool.
Old 11-17-15, 08:25 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ultm8mind
it honestly does sound slightly truck-ish at times but i love the low pitched blablablablabla you get when you're slowly accelerating. it does drone slightly from like 55-65 but then it goes away and if you're the age of the LS's initial customers then you probably won't even notice haha.

i just wanted a bit more noise because its SOOO quiet (probably not a complaint for most lol) and once when it was in the shop for something i asked my mechanic to just take the mufflers off to see what it sounded like, and i liked it so i had them weld piping in place, ya know just so the exhaust isn't ending underneath the car and right by the fuel tank
Old 11-17-15, 08:29 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly I wouldn't want any drone at all inside the car.... maybe replacing just the rear mufflers with something smaller would get it there. Compromise lol.
Old 11-17-15, 10:18 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Yeah nothing like making a luxury sedan sound like an old beater with a rusted and burnt out exhaust system, ultimate cool.
oh yeah? lol and just what would a geezer like you know about cool
Old 11-18-15, 06:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Not my thing. I appreciate the sound of it at low speeds, the engine sounds good but I wouldn't want any sort of drone.

As an aside, I cannot believe you drove 110MPH on a surface road with traffic lights. Thats crazy stupid.
Old 11-18-15, 06:37 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stroock639
oh yeah? lol and just what would a geezer like you know about cool
Hey I'm the one that loves open headers and the bark from a 12:1 Cr or more like AA fuel. I just don't like it on a car like a Lexus. What I really hate...... is watching those car shows on TV and they have to play the stinking music everytime they run the engine, all the guys are standing around saying how nice it sounds and all us TV watchers are ALLOWED to hear is the stupid music. Geezer that's a first....
Old 11-18-15, 10:47 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Hey I'm the one that loves open headers and the bark from a 12:1 Cr or more like AA fuel. I just don't like it on a car like a Lexus. What I really hate...... is watching those car shows on TV and they have to play the stinking music everytime they run the engine, all the guys are standing around saying how nice it sounds and all us TV watchers are ALLOWED to hear is the stupid music. Geezer that's a first....
haha just bustin bawls is all, i get wanting to have this be quiet. if i had another car to make loud i would, but this is it and i was just wanted to hear the V8 a bit. i've heard it from the outside and in person it sounds nice and muscly. not quite as hick as a truck but hey it was a really cheap thing to have done. you don't hear it all on the highway, but there's a nice rumble when you're going around slowly

and yeah i hate when music is played over the car sounds lol...

Quick Reply: for anyone wondering what the muffler delete sounds like