LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Which color?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-15, 12:39 PM
scunyon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which color?

Hey guys, first post after lurking for a while. Got a 97 LS400 with 218k that's my new project car. Got a few things to fix (power steering leak and some bushings to replace) hut otherwise solid.

Mine is the silver jade, but I think I want to ditch the 2 tone and go all silver jade or all grey (haven't decided on a shade). So if it were up to you, which solid color would you go with?

Thanks
Old 11-02-15, 12:50 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus was big on the two tone. The 92 I got for my son is that two tone gold and we are going to have the lower part and bumpers repainted. The upper part is nice original paint so it should not be too difficult for a good painter to match it. I'd go with the jade all the way.
Old 11-02-15, 12:54 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The VIN will be wrong then. The paint code will be wrong then. Color is something that really can't be changed.
If you want to lose value then go ahead, the best paint the car will ever have is what it had from the factory. To properly paint it the cost will be over 8000. anything less is crap. All the glass has to be removed all the interior, doors hood trunk lid etc. trim, engine trans.
Old 11-02-15, 01:21 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

if you want monotone, i say paint the lower panels only, to match the rest of the car! it's much easier to do so, and it that color is very nice!
Old 11-02-15, 02:55 PM
scunyon
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
The VIN will be wrong then. The paint code will be wrong then. Color is something that really can't be changed.
If you want to lose value then go ahead, the best paint the car will ever have is what it had from the factory. To properly paint it the cost will be over 8000. anything less is crap. All the glass has to be removed all the interior, doors hood trunk lid etc. trim, engine trans.

I understand what you mean, but with 218k miles, there's not a lot of value left. It's just a project for me. But it needs some dents knocked out and fresh paint. Do a few little personal touches here and there to make it mine. Don't want to sink a ton of money in it being that it's 18 years old but if I'm going to be cruising in it, it's got to be updated. I've started with switching to LED lighting and the only ones left to change are the headlights, fog lights and front turn signals.
Old 11-05-15, 01:08 PM
donmecca
Driver School Candidate

Just my .02 cents but have you considered plasti-dip? I dipped my '04 Titan truck and it has held up for past 18 months, pressure washing, off road mudding etc. It does not effect the original paint and can be peeled off with your hands once you have an edge to pull. You can do matte, gloss, iridescent finishes, sky is the limit. Here in Fl its under a grand for a four door car, my truck cost ~1200 including rims.
Old 11-05-15, 02:56 PM
Nishy
Rookie

Man, you just love to **** on anything anyone wants to do that's not a direct original restoration. What fun. Let people do what they want to their vehicles.

OP: I'd say the darker color would look so good, especially glossy. Nobody does gray LS'
Old 11-05-15, 04:09 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nishy
Man, you just love to **** on anything anyone wants to do that's not a direct original restoration. What fun. Let people do what they want to their vehicles.

OP: I'd say the darker color would look so good, especially glossy. Nobody does gray LS'
Dicer or anyone else has a right to their opinion.If you don't like Dicers opinions don't read his posts.
Old 11-06-15, 12:41 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Jade Pearl Silver

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
Dicer or anyone else has a right to their opinion.If you don't like Dicers opinions don't read his posts.
Own a 99 in Jade Pearl Silver...Attached is an image of what appears to be a 1998-2000 with Jade Pearl Silver variant in monochromatic...cladding, grill bars painted. Eyebrows on the headlight lenses...It doesn't look bad...somewhat elegant. Not a fan of chrome rims or overstuffed

wheel wells

Old 11-06-15, 08:05 AM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go gray, I like the darker colors. I use to own a gray 240sx and I loved that oem Nissan gray color. I think it'll contrast whichever wheels you go with more too.
Old 11-06-15, 11:15 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Midengtoy
I say go gray, I like the darker colors. I use to own a gray 240sx and I loved that oem Nissan gray color. I think it'll contrast whichever wheels you go with more too.
Extremely difficult to effectuate a color change on a Lexus with professional outcome. Better to purchase the color you want and you will be $$$ ahead.
Old 11-06-15, 08:06 PM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Extremely difficult to effectuate a color change on a Lexus with professional outcome. Better to purchase the color you want and you will be $$$ ahead.
I agree. I'm just choosing which one I like more out of the OP's options. I like dark colors more unless it's white even though I own a tan LS. Hahaha.
Old 11-07-15, 11:25 AM
scunyon
Rookie

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Own a 99 in Jade Pearl Silver...Attached is an image of what appears to be a 1998-2000 with Jade Pearl Silver variant in monochromatic...cladding, grill bars painted. Eyebrows on the headlight lenses...It doesn't look bad...somewhat elegant. Not a fan of chrome rims or overstuffed

wheel wells

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm leaning towards the all jade. I've even been toying with the idea of doing a gloss black wrap on the roof for a different kind of contrast, but not sure I'd like it once it's been applied.

So many ideas, so many wants, so little wallet
Old 11-08-15, 04:39 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lol that's SKPerformance's car.

He's an OG. Car is on air.
Old 11-08-15, 04:42 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

a "crap quality" repaint will be instantly a better condition paintjob than the thoroughly damaged paint on the majority of LS400s, and given that these are not rare exotic cars (and were in fact, mass produced! ) no, the value will not be decreased in the general resale market if the color chosen is not gaudy.

That said, a color change limits the buyers sometimes, unless you're going with a neutral "safe" color like black/silver/grey/etc..., and will never be cheap. Budget $3500-6500 for a full color change in a car the size of a 1/2 LS400.

Quick Reply: Which color?