LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

S&S Headers... are PPE headers the same?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-15, 07:22 PM
LexFlexTex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question S&S Headers... are PPE headers the same?

Hi! I own a 99' and am loving it. Want to get a little more sound out of the V8 but not too much. I wanted a setup where there is no drone, quiet at idle, but loud in the higher range. I stumbled upon this video:

Love the clean sound of this! I found the owner and he ran down the specs of the setup. Told me there was no drone whatsoever yet it barked in the higher revs. He said he was using S&S headers. Sadly this company is no longer around.

Anyone know where I can get a set of S&S headers? Anyone selling them used? Anyone have details on them so I can get them custom made?

Alternatively there is a company that makes headers for my car called PPE. Will these be identical to the S&S? Anyone have them? Will it sound the same?
Old 10-24-15, 03:39 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

If what you want is exhaust sound then headers are completely the wrong way to approach it.

What you want is an exhaust from the catalytic converters back. The sound you are hearing is dictated 90% by the piping, configuration, and muffler choice. In the description of the video that user posted he is using a "Custom X pipe and magnaflow mufflers."

The combination of 2.25" tubing, X-pipe (crossover), and high flowing mufflers is the go-to combination for the LS400 and there have been many members over the years to utilize this combination. That said, removing ALL the stock mufflers and resonators from the car and going down to 2 mufflers total WILL produce some drone without using additional resonators. This is a subjective issue, as you can decide if the droine is too much and have cheap resonators welded in after the fact.

To answer your question, PPE is the only company currently producing 1UZ headers in the US, and they do offer plug and play solutions for the 98-00 LS400 that retain the stock catalytic converters. These are built MUCH better than the old S&S (which were cheaply made and often crack). The S&S are NOT a budget upgrade, costing upwards of $900. Labor to install them is also VERY high (though it's a great time to do your engine mounts as they have to come out on one side anyway.) The headers are meant to make power, not (primarily) influence sound.

A complete cat-back exhaust setup can be built by your local friendly exhaust shop for under $700 all-in very easily.

For reference, I have had a custom exhaust (cat-back) in just that configuration (2.25in tubing, x-pipe, dual magnaflow mufflers, separate tips) for ~8 years, and the S&S headers for ~1.5-2 years. It does drone a touch at ~23-2400rpm but not deafeningly so.
Old 10-24-15, 01:24 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

even a simple axle-back exhaust will make somewhat of a deep, rumbly sound. my whole 'system' cost under $300, including the fabrication of parts. the car was in the shop and just for the l0lz i asked my mechanic to just unbolt the second set of mufflers to see how it sounded. after we all concluded that the benefits outweighed the drawbacks (there really aren't any besides a *slight* drone at like 1800-2200) i had them put straight pipes in place of the mufflers, just so the exhaust doesn't end underneath the car like that

this is what that sounds like...

my mechanic (who has a 05 LS 430) ended up doing the same thing to his car after hearing it on mine
Old 11-23-15, 02:20 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
If what you want is exhaust sound then headers are completely the wrong way to approach it.

What you want is an exhaust from the catalytic converters back. The sound you are hearing is dictated 90% by the piping, configuration, and muffler choice. In the description of the video that user posted he is using a "Custom X pipe and magnaflow mufflers."

The combination of 2.25" tubing, X-pipe (crossover), and high flowing mufflers is the go-to combination for the LS400 and there have been many members over the years to utilize this combination. That said, removing ALL the stock mufflers and resonators from the car and going down to 2 mufflers total WILL produce some drone without using additional resonators. This is a subjective issue, as you can decide if the droine is too much and have cheap resonators welded in after the fact.

To answer your question, PPE is the only company currently producing 1UZ headers in the US, and they do offer plug and play solutions for the 98-00 LS400 that retain the stock catalytic converters. These are built MUCH better than the old S&S (which were cheaply made and often crack). The S&S are NOT a budget upgrade, costing upwards of $900. Labor to install them is also VERY high (though it's a great time to do your engine mounts as they have to come out on one side anyway.) The headers are meant to make power, not (primarily) influence sound.

A complete cat-back exhaust setup can be built by your local friendly exhaust shop for under $700 all-in very easily.

For reference, I have had a custom exhaust (cat-back) in just that configuration (2.25in tubing, x-pipe, dual magnaflow mufflers, separate tips) for ~8 years, and the S&S headers for ~1.5-2 years. It does drone a touch at ~23-2400rpm but not deafeningly so.
PD, you are truly an expert on our 2nd Gen LS400s. That said I have a slightly different opinion when it comes to exhaust and headers on these cars. The problem with the S&S headers was not that they were cheaply made. The cracking problem was a function of the design (my choice) of a mini Tri-Y design. This caused a significant difference in expansion rates between the short and long tubes plus the additional hardening (more brittle) of the tubing at the additional weld points. I still believe that this design is better for torque but I agree that the PPE parts being 4-1 are less failure prone.

Regarding changes to the pipes I suggest keeping the front Y pipe and even the rear Y pipe and then replacing the middle mufflers with round straight through 2.0” resonators (like Magnaflows) and possibly the rear mufflers or muffler delete. The center resonator can be replaced by a 2.5” straight through or with the slightly larger than stock GS400 center resonator (55mm vs 60mm, 2.2” vs 2.36”, LS400 vs GS400). The front Y pipe works better than most can fabricate and the rear is decent. 2.0” is fine as long as mandrel bends are used otherwise 2.25.