LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 02:38 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Engine mounts

I just read a post about engine mount replacement. How come some cars can have close to 300,000 miles on the original mounts with no problems and some don't make it half that far?

Maybe its from driving a grand pa car like its a dragster, these cars are not designed to burn rubber. The rubber drive shaft isolators or what ever you wish to call them are meant to absorb engine vibrations and average torque shock, they are not for racing and max acceleration type driving, nor are the engine mounts. Its a luxury slow smooth accelerating type of car, if you don't want problems don't drive it like a high performance sports car. I have a non lexus car with about 60k miles that I got with about 2 on it. It still has the original brakes, the car is 15 years old just take care of stuff and it will last.
Old 10-19-15, 06:05 AM
KBH2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats funny! Original brakes. I lived on a hill my whole life (approx 5 miles to town) On each vehicle, brakes are done 2-3 times a year. Maybe I need to slow down.
Old 10-19-15, 08:41 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the environment/weather matters. California vs Chicago would have different wear rates on rubber esp. if driven year round.
Old 10-19-15, 12:33 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i don't know man... obviously any car will have its life shortened by constantly trying to do burnouts and my bias is probably coming into play here but while the LS is certainly every definition of a grandpa mobile, it's certainly no slouch...

i mean come on with literature like this i think it's pretty clear they designed it to be able to take a beating. why else give it 6 bolt mains and hypereutectic pistons... sure the mounts will wear quicker if you're always stomping on the gas but lets not forget that this engine was not only used in boat racing where people ran them "at 6000 rpm all day with no problems" but toyota actually developed an aviation engine based off the 1UZ that obtained FAA certification (i think) so it would seem to be a pretty durable engine. matt farah's million mile lexus anyone?
Old 10-19-15, 12:34 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It is very hilly here, and lots and lots of stop and go traffic. I have never been one to spend a lot of time on the brake pedal. And use it very sparingly and lightly they are power brakes too. I drive the speed limit, and don't drive like a granny, I guess its all the technique.

Yes the engine has some good features and some not so good ones too. Hypereutectic piston material is not real special and is known in high performance circles to be a material that does not like detonation. Forgings are much tougher. Its the rest of the components that really aren't for performance on the car, the transmission would take it but the soft rubber parts will not. And that ad would be one I would write too if I was selling the car. Why not I would want everyone with one burning rubber, why ? because it would mean selling mechanic service and parts.

Last edited by dicer; 10-19-15 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 01:38 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

lol yeah i know its just a bunch of advertising but the point is they really designed this car to take on the s class, 7 series, a8, etc... why not just give it a v6 then? they could've easily just made a more plush avalon but they wanted something totally new and for people to feel that V8 umphf. i also like to think that becuase the future of lexus depended on the success of the LS 400 they wouldn't tell you to do something that'll make more repairs happen... then people'd be going "yeah i just bought that new 'lexus' and its giving me problems already" when toyota was trying to establish an impeccable reliability record with the brand. but then again, i wasn't born for another few years so maybe i'm wrong
Old 10-19-15, 01:51 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
I think the environment/weather matters. California vs Chicago would have different wear rates on rubber esp. if driven year round.
i agree here, on top of mileage, ambient temp plays a roll too. plus 300k miles of highway is very different from 300k miles of city driving, so results of wear do certainly vary from car to car.

generally, at 300k the motor mounts should be replaced. i use the tranny mount as an indicator. if that's gone, i can bet the motor mounts are torn too. now not all owners opt to replace the mounts at the proper time, yet they still report the car to feel smooth.