LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is it just me or .....Electonic Control Throttle-surging

Old 12-07-15, 05:03 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by A1Posture
.... the Electonic Control Throttle on the 98+ LS 400 is a downgrade from the mechanical throttles from earlier models. I find my car surging forward when I press on the gas from a complete stop. Yes, I can ease into the accelerator pedal to alleviate the "thrust", but that takes thought and application. It's just not as smooth city driving as the earlier models. Does anybody else notice this? Does this affect the 430 as well? What was the reason Lexus went to the ECT? Are there any advantages ?
I don't think its a downgrade but some people may think it so not knowing/understanding the detail. You only have a failed part. Fixing it will give you no more surging and the smooth running after the teaching-in.

The surging is caused when the feedback control loop is out of the range resulted by some serious failure. The "out of range" is often caused by the too much clogging at the intake line including the air assist line or the poor/slow function of the throttle body as far as I have fixed them all so far. Sometimes the ECU was the cause.
Old 12-07-15, 05:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

This "surging" was present enough in a brand new 98 LS for us to bring it in. So at least in part it's a characteristic of the car.
Old 10-12-16, 07:19 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
That's the thing about new car stuff, and not sure what years it would have started. But on all the new stuff the ECU's control pretty much everything. There is no turning the key off, yeah it makes you feel like your doing that, but really its a computer that takes that key off command and then acts on it. If the program says nope don't shut off you would be holding a key in your hand racing down the road. And now most cars even have electrical steering, ABS has been in control of the brakes for years, so yeah scary stuff.
should be interesting out there on the roads when all of the current cars that are brake/steer/throttle/drive by wire get old and decrepit and these systems start failing...

fun fact of the day! did you know the current GS since 2013 is full brake by wire? that's right, there is no physical connection between your foot and the actual brakes. when I was in a training class the instructor was telling us all about it and it really freaked me out and asked a ton of questions about it. yes up till 2016 there was still a real parking brake but now that's electronic too. the braking system although electronic, is quite the complex and fascinating system. there is the main brake wire plus 4 backups incase the first fails. and if the battery dies there is energy stored in electrolytic capacitors that hold a charge burst enough to still stop the car...

the real question is, 20+ years down the road, when all those backup wires deteriorate, and those caps go bad like they do, and I mean absolutely guaranteed to fail after a few decades...
whats gunna happen when one day, the brake pedal doesn't respond.

we have been able to enjoy our old 20th century lexus cars, but I truly feel for the kids being born now that are going to be doing, or trying to do the same stuff we are doing now in 2036.
Old 10-12-16, 07:21 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This "surging" was present enough in a brand new 98 LS for us to bring it in. So at least in part it's a characteristic of the car.
Interestingly enough after new motor mounts (both were essentially split in half) the surging is much less of an issue for me. Still kind of there but no where near as jarring as before.
Old 10-12-16, 08:38 AM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob

we have been able to enjoy our old 20th century lexus cars, but I truly feel for the kids being born now that are going to be doing, or trying to do the same stuff we are doing now in 2036.
By that time cars will all be electric and the only ICE cars left on the road will be owned by eccentric billionaires and hobbyists who are willing to travel an hour to buy gasoline.
Old 10-12-16, 09:14 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mappo
By that time cars will all be electric and the only ICE cars left on the road will be owned by eccentric billionaires and hobbyists who are willing to travel an hour to buy gasoline.
its a scare tactic..
truth be told we wont be running out of oil any time soon. plus we have HUGE untapped oil reserves here in the states as well that are not being used because they are on protected land. im sure when it gets down to it, it will be tapped.
when THOSE ones get tapped that's when you know we are in trouble.
Old 10-12-16, 09:33 AM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The switchover to electric isn't coming because we're running out of oil. The world didn't stop using whale oil for its streetlights because it ran out of whales. Electric cars are coming to the masses in a big way, and once the adoption rate hits a tipping point the economics of the gasoline infrastructure become unprofitable. And once something is unprofitable the market drops it like a hot potato.

Last edited by mappo; 10-12-16 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-12-16, 07:22 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i think it might just be a characteristic of the car. i think much of it is down to the very smooth yet slippy torque converter the LS uses combined with the responsive and torquey engine. once you learn to take it into account i find it's not so much of a problem. it's more noticeable when your going downhill, it's almost like the input shaft has to "catch up" to the output, but on level ground or uphill you don't get as much of that slack in the drivetrain. if you have a particularly low idle this will be even more noticeable, also make sure your throttle cable itself is properly tightened. if there's slack in the cable it'll be even more noticeable.

benefits? "allegedly" smoother operation, no need for an idle air control valve, more efficient VSC... basically there's no need to push the pedal further down to keep accelerating at the same rate regardless of speed. as you go through the gears and speed up it automatically increases the throttle opening to maintain the same rate of acceleration the whole time. obviously there's some limitations to how long that can be maintained but when i plug my obd ii to iphone adaptor in i can see the throttle opening % increase over time. same thing when you hit resume on the cruise control

http://www.mr2.com/files/mr2/techinf...y.pdf#page=127

i'll let that answer any more questions
Have a look at my posting on accelerator pedal pivot;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/831939-accelerator-rod-and-pivot-slop.html

Also, check condition of 78024 which is accelerator cable clamp bracket assembly which incorporates rubber isolation grommet, and doubles as top engine cover mounting bracket... rubber U- channel dries out and seperates from bracket resulting in cable slop...

Applying these two remedies will make a difference and improve pedal control.

Another option to reduce vibration in gas pedal;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/807728-lead-foot.html​​​​​​​
Old 10-14-16, 11:51 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Have a look at my posting on accelerator pedal pivot;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ivot-slop.html

Also, check condition of 78024 which is accelerator cable clamp bracket assembly which incorporates rubber isolation grommet, and doubles as top engine cover mounting bracket... rubber U- channel dries out and seperates from bracket resulting in cable slop...

Applying these two remedies will make a difference and improve pedal control.

Another option to reduce vibration in gas pedal;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...lead-foot.html
​​​​​​​i have no complaints with my gas pedal control
Old 01-18-17, 06:01 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Since putting in new motor mounts (one was split in half) the surging is much less of an issue.
Old 01-18-17, 08:09 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by A1Posture
.... the Electonic Control Throttle on the 98+ LS 400 is a downgrade from the mechanical throttles from earlier models. I find my car surging forward when I press on the gas from a complete stop. Yes, I can ease into the accelerator pedal to alleviate the "thrust", but that takes thought and application. It's just not as smooth city driving as the earlier models. Does anybody else notice this? Does this affect the 430 as well? What was the reason Lexus went to the ECT? Are there any advantages ?
Not a 100% solution, but an improvement ;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/831939-accelerator-rod-and-pivot-slop.html
Old 01-23-17, 08:08 AM
alien1974
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i find when coming to a near halt i put it in 3 and the accelerate off and theres no surge
Old 01-23-17, 03:14 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by alien1974
i find when coming to a near halt i put it in 3 and the accelerate off and theres no surge
See my posting on negative grounding issues;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/828619-negative-grounding-issues.html

The negative ground cables, mounting hardware degrade over time...the original design left room for improvement...don't use cheap stuff in rewire...

The transmission valve body solenoids use a single wire connector which means their negative ground path is through the solenoid body, transmission oil film, lower valve body, metal fasteners,upper valve body, transmission housing, engine block, engine block to chasis ground cable, chassis to main negative battery ground cable...(perhaps I left one out?)(reminds me of early GM songle wire Oxygen sensors.....which were grounded through exhaust system!!! Terrible design)

I anticipate some resistance/voltage drop in this LS400 configuration which does not improve over time.

Contemporary Lexus vehicles have a ground strap between the chassis and transmission housing..this represents an improvement... (although somewhat flimsy cabling) but is not optimal...this could help.

I was experiencing a slight harshness and catch up on downshifts..so I replaced oxidized AC compressor stay and hardware (negative battery cable terminus) and discerned slight improvement.(tried disonnecting and reconnecting negative ground several times before without improvement)

I would also suggest that the ECU should have a negative ground cable (copper) vs chassis ground path...at least loosen and retighten hardware there.