LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I can only go in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-15, 05:53 AM
russell94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can only go in reverse

so on my way home my car would only go up to 20mph as i pulled off and restarted it will not move i replace a solenoid part number 3527050010 now i can go in reverse now but no other gear i need some help i been up and down a lot of threads just cant seem to figure out what to do next This is on a 94 lexus ls400 with 268,000 on it
Old 09-02-15, 01:43 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

No time now, will look at my info later. check shift linkage for now.
Old 09-02-15, 02:09 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

did you every replace your ECU capacitors? your car sounds like the perfect candidate for this problem.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html
Old 09-07-15, 08:28 AM
russell94
Driver School Candidate

i am thinking it might be the ecm! before i remove the ecm is their a link on how to do a manual shift test i dont which wire to remove
Old 09-07-15, 09:21 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

In my 92 manual page AT-55 is says to determine if it is mechanical or electrical disconnect the solenoid wire connector from the left rear of the transmission. And drive it and see if the gears correspond to the position on the shift console. So I guess it should manually shift with the electrical connector disconnected. This is not verbatim from the manual but close.
Old 09-09-15, 01:58 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

did you try it?
Old 09-09-15, 01:42 PM
russell94
Driver School Candidate

yes i did try it still have Reverse and i still cant get it in any gear it sounds like it moves into it just nothing happens i think it might me the ecm and maybe that's why i have no warning lights coming up just need some time to pull the dash a part. In the mean time i am off to California to buy my friends 95 Ls400
Old 09-09-15, 01:53 PM
russell94
Driver School Candidate

My Goal for my 94 Ls is to fix it myself ! when I pulled the pan off i had alot of very fine black metal which i heard is from normal wear and tear, no chucks of shinny metal at all. I Hate to tow it to a shop. My fear is the wont be able to tell me what is wrong cause no codes pop up. Going to check the ecm but other than that. Mabey change out the other 3 solenoids. when i tested them that all but one made a clicking sound so i just replace the one that did not. I am by no means a car guy i grasp the main principles but never been one to attemp this kinda work so please forgive me if i sound like i don't know what i am talking about. i have been using this site and you-tube to learn as i go so i thank everyone here for any help or suggestions feed back. i will try and take as many pics when i remove the ecm to have a look at it 1
Old 09-10-15, 02:18 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

That is the whole point in disconnecting the wire. And the manual states that is how to see if it is electronic or the transmission.
If you DID UNPLUG IT, and the same thing happens then it is a problem with the transmission. I say check the shifter and the shift linkage, does it go into park okay? Next is removing the pan and make sure the manual valve is moving or you could do pressure checks when engine running and on jack stands. I bet the wrong transmission fluid was used at some point.
Your problem is not the ECU. No codes pop up because there is not an ELECTRONIC PROBLEM. You can change solenoids till your out of money and its not going to fix it. Can you not read what I am saying????????????

When trying to fix a problem you can not keep getting fixated on something and ignore the facts. There was another guy that did the same and just spent money on unneeded stuff and the time involved in the replacement. Its just like if you had 4 flat tires, and a full tank of gas, would you grab a gas can and walk to the nearest gas station? Come on.

My manual is for a 92 I don't think 94 trans is different.

Last edited by dicer; 09-10-15 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-10-15, 02:58 AM
russell94
Driver School Candidate

I hear what you are saying. I would think if a tranny went out there should be some kind of light to come on like the of light flashing am I wrong?
Old 09-10-15, 12:47 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Yes your wrong. These transmissions still have a mechanical aspect to them. The electronics just controls the solenoids and does nothing else to or with the transmission. Maybe the newest of the new cars there is much more electronic involvement with the transmissions. I'm not saying your transmission is completely out, it could be a shift linkage problem that needs checking, if that's ok then the pressures that can be checked should be.
Worse case you could have a seal bad and won't allow the forward gear selection, I would need to study the chart. I do need to know if the 94 is the same as the 92 .
Old 09-10-15, 01:48 PM
russell94
Driver School Candidate

I will be looking more into the shift linkage aspect just as soon as i get back from my road trip to pick up my friends 95 ls which i am getting a great deal on $400 now and $400 with my taxes. Then i wont have the stress of waiting on rides to get to and from work (I hate that ****) but am glad to have it ! Then it will be time to bring the 94 back to life..then After that with all i have heard about bad caps on the dash and ecm I just will send them all out for rebuilds have them put all leds in the dash and climate control then drop a system in and redo the leather. I always wanted to hook a car up like this just thought i do it to some old mustang or vw lol thanks for the advice dice man and for telling like it is i respect that
Old 09-10-15, 02:16 PM
russell94
Driver School Candidate

When i did the shift
test with it unplug should a check engine light come on ??? cause it did not
Old 09-10-15, 05:38 PM
russell94
Driver School Candidate

So I i check the shift linkage it seems to move noraml not loose . as i was looking around some more i found some things

A small hole in tube coming out of the tranmission and then i notice 2 loose bolts could this be causing my problems i have a mechanic for a friend he will have a look just wanted your Thoughts dicer! thanks again
Old 09-11-15, 12:44 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

With it unplugged there it is all mechanical. Lights or no lights.
The hole? It is a concern if all the fluid is being pumped out of it.
I have no idea where or what the loose bolts are, you really need to include more details or pictures.

Quick Reply: I can only go in reverse