LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

P0773 - Shift Solenoid 'E' Electrical bad ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 05:57 AM
Mtdave2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0773 - Shift Solenoid 'E' Electrical bad ecu?

95 ls400 motor and trany swap into a Toyota pickup.

Had the P0773 - Shift Solenoid 'E' Electrical code and some other issues with trans so I have it rebuilt trans for from reputable shop. Code is still there. Assuming something must be shorted so I Ohm tested each wire to trans, tested each solenoid, plug in the connector and ohm tested from ecu. All appeared to be fine.

Fluid good, shifts fine including lockup, still have code. Bad ECU?

Have an odd temp thing going on as well. Scanner shows temp hotter than handheld theromo scanner, temp goes up to 240 with driving up hills before I pull over and let it cool. Maybe related may not
Old 08-27-15, 09:33 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This steps outside the LS400 so these error codes can be challenging. Definite;y visually check that the ECU capacitors are not leaking and it would be suggested to replace them to be confident this isn't related to a failing capacitor. I'm presuming you did get the harness?
Old 08-27-15, 09:33 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Likely a bad temp sensor. And the transmission issue is on the outfit that did the rebuild. So tell them to honor their warranty as they very likely sold you an unneeded transmission rebuild for a trouble code. ECU could be but again the shop should have figured that out before selling a rebuild. Really it is not your concern its on them, less they wish to give your money back.
Old 08-27-15, 10:09 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

are you certain you are running the right ECU for that motor? there are ECU difference between 1st gen 90-94 motors to 2nd gen 95-97 motors, then 98-00 motors with VVTi. double check. if unsure get us the ECU number on the cover and report back.
Old 08-27-15, 11:13 AM
Mtdave2
Driver

Thanks for the input a few answers :
Trany was rebuilt because of burnt bands. I did test the solinyiods with a meter and are in spec. It is an electrical error so the trany shop is not at fault. As far as I know. Given I had the code before..prob not the trans.

I have 2 ecus. Same numbers. One I pulled out of the same car the motor cam e out of. Same codes and issues with either box
I did replace temp sensor witg facoty new one.
Old 08-27-15, 03:00 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Code before the trans was worked on? Then they should have solved it. Still a code not much was fixed. That is if that code was a TRANSMISSION RELATED code. I would agree that a transmission shop would not be required to fix an O2 sensor code. But if the code was there before the work and they had the car then they didn't fix it. Maybe that's why the bands were burnt so then it could be on the way to more burnt bands. A certain code isn't always the problem, I had a tps code one time that was caused by an ignition module.
So maybe the code you get is caused by a line pressure fault or what ever applies and directs the fluid to the band servo. It really is the shops problem, I don't understand the logic that would side with the place that was paid some fairly high amount of $ to fix the transmission. If you don't want to confront the outfit, then just live with the problem and don't worry about it. How much did they charge for the rebuild?

((((((Given I had the code before..prob not the trans.))))) THIS MAKES NO SENSE!!!!! YOU ORIGINALLY SAID THE CODE WAS FOR A TRANMISSION ISSUE. The codes for the trans are a trans problem period. And no matter where you have to look to solve the problem, again its not an o2 sensor code is it? To have the transmission work correct the code needs solving.

Last edited by dicer; 08-27-15 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-27-15, 04:38 PM
Mtdave2
Driver

dicer, I really appreciate the input, the piece you are missing is; because this is a custom motor swap i do not want the shop taking the engine and trans out of the rig. something that has to be done because of the tight clearances. so I took the trans out and brought it to them. all the solenoids were replaced and the trans electrically tested at the shop. so again, no need to include them. yet.

Now as a side note, you remind me of my younger self. reading or getting information and making judgments with that info. when something didn't make sense i would try to come up with some logical reason. usually blaming people, or judging their intelligence, the courage ect. The lesson I learned the hard way, is it is a good idea to give people the benefit of the doubt and seek to understand before throwing accusations. saying things like i am afraid to confront the shop so i can just live with it may make sense to you with the info you have, but it is wholly not true. leaving the statement one of disrespect for me, for no reason. just a thought, I has made my life lots better and people seem to like being around me now...go figure..
Old 08-27-15, 05:09 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mtdave2
Thanks for the input a few answers :
Trany was rebuilt because of burnt bands. I did test the solinyiods with a meter and are in spec. It is an electrical error so the trany shop is not at fault. As far as I know. Given I had the code before..prob not the trans.

I have 2 ecus. Same numbers. One I pulled out of the same car the motor cam e out of. Same codes and issues with either box
I did replace temp sensor witg facoty new one.
I would double check the the harness going to the trans. It is possible that you may have a damaged wire. Maybe drop the pan and take a look at the connectors on the shift solinoids. They're twenty years old they may not be seating correctly.
Old 08-27-15, 05:42 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Sorry, I didn't know that you just took in the transmission. That is a different deal.
I guess I get to excited because sometimes I spend some time going over the books etc trying to help people on these sites and get ignored after all that. Go with cobalt91 and start at square one with the wiring. What about the shift selector switch? You need a good schematic for that year and a circuit explanation, maybe you need to go to the Toyota site and down load it.
Younger self? Early 60's here.
Old 08-27-15, 06:43 PM
Mtdave2
Driver

No worries Dicer, I understand. thanks

Do you guys think that the connectors could still be bad if they tested ok with an ohm meter. think it was 8 ohms, hum. Anyway same thing with the wires, I tested each one and voltage was going through. I suppose there could be a intermittent short?

I have thought about the shift selector. I adjusted the control rod to the shiftier to make it perfect. the dash lights follow exactly what gear i am in.

Now i am suspecting everything since i wired a whole ton of wires for the swap. but I was very thorough, kept a spreadsheet, checked everything four times. I will look over them again and see if something jumps out.

The problem did not appear for the first time until i drove the swap for 50 miles or so then the light cam on. i would think that if i had wired things wrong it would have jumped up right off the bat. but who knows.

i drove it today sorting out some other issues, and boy did things get wired. speedo jumped all over, the trany started shifting wired. so i swapped ecu boxes and it all stopped. even the problem code, well for at least 10 minutes but that is to be expected. I am REALLY starting to suspect my boxes. I did open them and no signs of corrosion.

crazy *** swap i have going on. I am getting tired of the problem solving!
Old 08-27-15, 07:04 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtdave2
think it was 8 ohms, hum. Anyway same thing with the wires, I tested each one and voltage was going through. I suppose there could be a intermittent short?
That's strange. According to a JDM manual I have, the resistance of solenoids is 13±2 ohms.
Old 09-05-15, 12:47 PM
Mtdave2
Driver

well this is really getting stupid. the ecu is tested and it is good. I have a 2nd solenoid and it measures the same ohms. I put 12 volts to both of them and they both activate fine, multiple times. Ran a new pair a wires, same freaking code.

Id love to see instructions on bench testing of solenoid. these suckers work!

any other factors that would cause the the code fault.
Old 09-18-15, 07:31 PM
Mtdave2
Driver

well over $300 later. new solenoid, new internal trans wiring from lexus dealer, new wires and different plug from trans to ecu. tried 2 ECUs........still have the %@#$%@# code.
Old 09-18-15, 11:02 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Now look at a manual and see what it says for trouble shooting, there is usually a chart to run through.
That is you best bet for getting it fixed. Or take it to a transmission shop.