LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My "new" car

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 06:07 PM
FastEddie7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My "new" car

Hey All,

Just bought a '94 LS400 last night! So far really happy with it. It has some very minor issues, but it seems to be a good one.

Tons of great info on this forum! Thanks to all who have contributed! I'l have some questions down the road, but learned a lot here before I bought it.

Take care,

Ed
Attached Thumbnails My "new" car-img_20150813_153958261.jpg   My "new" car-img_20150813_153937980.jpg  
Old 08-13-15, 06:46 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Welcome to the club and we are here to help with whatever info you need. After you search of course.
Old 08-13-15, 08:04 PM
Auxive
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What are you plans for it?
Old 08-13-15, 08:57 PM
FastEddie7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Auxive
What are you plans for it?
Well, honestly, I'm not sure. First just fix the few things it needs. It's already had the steering gone through, and the climate control display replaced. It needs something in the front end. Sounds like a ball joint to me. I'm in the process of moving to a new house, so I'll take a good look once I'm set up in my new garage. A few interior lights not working, so I'll pull the dash apart at some point. I'll do the cd changer/aux in conversion that I've read about here. Power antenna mast and hood struts are on the way now. No idea when the timing belt was last done, so I'll try to at least get a good look at it.

Maybe down the road I'll do springs, or coilovers and some wheels. But no crazy VIP look. I'm too old to do that and not look silly. lol This is just my nice, comfortable, inexpensive daily driver. I'm an autocrosser, so sometimes I can't leave well enough alone. But I have a Street Prepared 1984 Celica I built for fun, and have a Chump Car team that runs a 240SX. So a stockish LS400 to drive every day is just fine for now. It's a really neat car, in nice shape. The AC works and the stereo sounds pretty good. So I'm happy!
Old 08-14-15, 06:51 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FastEddie7
Well, honestly, I'm not sure. First just fix the few things it needs. It's already had the steering gone through, and the climate control display replaced. It needs something in the front end. Sounds like a ball joint to me. I'm in the process of moving to a new house, so I'll take a good look once I'm set up in my new garage. A few interior lights not working, so I'll pull the dash apart at some point. I'll do the cd changer/aux in conversion that I've read about here. Power antenna mast and hood struts are on the way now. No idea when the timing belt was last done, so I'll try to at least get a good look at it.

Maybe down the road I'll do springs, or coilovers and some wheels. But no crazy VIP look. I'm too old to do that and not look silly. lol This is just my nice, comfortable, inexpensive daily driver. I'm an autocrosser, so sometimes I can't leave well enough alone. But I have a Street Prepared 1984 Celica I built for fun, and have a Chump Car team that runs a 240SX. So a stockish LS400 to drive every day is just fine for now. It's a really neat car, in nice shape. The AC works and the stereo sounds pretty good. So I'm happy!
Take good care of that 94LS and leave it stock.And remember;"they don't make them anymore"Good luck.
Old 08-14-15, 07:08 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome!

Sounds as if your plans are to keep this car on the road and in good condition for the foreseeable future. It's always nice to see one of these cars bought by an enthusiast.
Old 08-14-15, 07:13 AM
FastEddie7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
Take good care of that 94LS and leave it stock.And remember;"they don't make them anymore"Good luck.
Certainly true, and while the market doesn't seem to reflect it in the value, they're historically significant, at least to us Toyota fans. I remember when the car came out, reading all the reviews, and thinking how cool it was that they pulled it off.

Originally Posted by AandSC
Congrats on your purchase, and welcome!

Sounds as if your plans are to keep this car on the road and in good condition for the foreseeable future. It's always nice to see one of these cars bought by an enthusiast.
Yes, I'm a bit of a Toyota loyalist. I've had an '80 Celica, an '84 Celica, a '91 MR2 that I just sold, my '98 4Runner which is affectionately known as "The World's Most Reliable Vehicle", and now this LS400. Oh, and of course, "Tom Celica", the SCCA FSP autocross car.

https://www.facebook.com/Tom.Celica.FSP

Last edited by FastEddie7; 08-14-15 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-14-15, 11:49 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
This is the BEST ADVICE ever on this site. Just so many of these cars being ruined.
People that don't know what goes into good body work and paint, and purposely ruin the underside and fenders, inner fenders and the like, just can't seem to understand that any value of the most important part on the car is completely lost doing so.
Old 08-14-15, 01:15 PM
FastEddie7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
This is the BEST ADVICE ever on this site. Just so many of these cars being ruined.
People that don't know what goes into good body work and paint, and purposely ruin the underside and fenders, inner fenders and the like, just can't seem to understand that any value of the most important part on the car is completely lost doing so.
Well, to be fair, it is possible to fit aftermarket wheels properly. Or later Lexus wheels.

I certainly have no plans to hack up the fenders of my car. I may not change the wheels at all. But I have always thought the stock wheels let the car down.

(edit) Poking around the site, I kinda see there are clearly two camps of LS400 owners. lol I know what some of you guys are worried about. Fear not. I won't be messing up the car. It will be well cared for, and if it ever does leave my ownership, it will do so better off for our time together.

Last edited by FastEddie7; 08-14-15 at 01:32 PM.