LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Loss of power, both cats glowed red

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 10:01 AM
ajonesy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power, both cats glowed red

Car ran fine the same morning. Later it lost power so much had to shift to low and back in drive just to go. Parked wouldn't go past 4,000 rpm. Both cats glowed red while revving. Tried new spark plugs and wires still no change. Sounded better though. My power steering had been leaking. Rebuild kit worked for a week then the leaking and whining sound when I turned came back. Help!!!!
Old 08-11-15, 10:19 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

For help posts, we need to know year, miles on car and any readable error codes. With an error code we know what to suggest rather than having your wallet open up for a random parts hunt.
Old 08-11-15, 10:26 AM
ajonesy
Driver School Candidate

1994 LS400. I haven't had it scanned for error codes. Tried but they don't do it anymore if it's below 1996.
Old 08-11-15, 10:33 AM
ajonesy
Driver School Candidate

222,000 miles
Old 08-11-15, 01:10 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Rebuild kit for what? The pump or the rack?

Glowing red cats, they are getting too much unburnt fuel. Could be from anything from ignition problem you've addressed part of that already. Could be ecu, cold start valve leaking, injector leaking, high fuel pressure, engine coolant temp sensor, timing is all that comes to mind.
Old 08-11-15, 03:06 PM
ajonesy
Driver School Candidate

Rebuild kit for the pump. We'll be checking ignition coils soon.
Old 08-11-15, 03:22 PM
700bones
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajonesy
Rebuild kit for the pump. We'll be checking ignition coils soon.

what does that have to do with your exhaust?

If it were my car, I'd just do a cat delete.
Old 08-11-15, 03:34 PM
ajonesy
Driver School Candidate

Didn't say it did. Just making sure all the problems I've been having were out there. Did research on loss of power and found to check the coils. It had loss of power before cats glowed red. Cats are being took off right now.
Old 08-11-15, 05:00 PM
ajonesy
Driver School Candidate

Bad driver side ignition coil
Old 08-12-15, 02:50 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I think its a huge mistake to remove the cats for many reasons. First: from what I have read while searching is it is a federal epa no no with steep fines to remove emissions stuff from cars that were made with the stuff, it was put there for a reason. I am the last one to agree with any enviro nut case stuff, but I also remember the days of burning eyes sitting in traffic behind an untuned chevy spewing out the smell of raw gasoline and oil fumes. Second: doing this sort of thing is going to catch the wrong attention someday and ruin the car hobby for us all.
Third: The whole of the EFI system is the exhaust system too, there are pre cat and after cat sensors that like to be satisfied to make the engine run right, your ruining the tune of the engine doing it unless you have an after market ecu that is fully programmable. Forth: If in doing this your LS ends up smelling like that old chevy its going to make people make a call to rid all the LS's from the hiways and streets. Fifth: Its like any other mod done on these cars, makes it worth scrap or parts prices.
Old 08-12-15, 05:45 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

There's so much wrong with this picture I don't know where to start. Use some logic here: READ THE CODES! If you don't know how, then spend a little time to find out. If both cats are red, and the engine is running fairly smooth (not missing), then your problem is strictly something that affects the timing or the air/fuel ratio: MAF sensor, ECU, crank angle sense, clogged air filter, etc. NOT coils, wires, or plugs.
Old 08-12-15, 06:10 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

1- read the codes the FAQ has links on how to do so.
2- replace the faulty ignition component(s) that's causing the car to misfire and run super duper rich, dumping raw fuel into the cats and killing them.

My bet is on a bad coil/igniter.
Old 08-12-15, 06:40 AM
700bones
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dur

Originally Posted by dicer
I think its a huge mistake to remove the cats for many reasons.

First: from what I have read while searching is it is a federal epa no no with steep fines to remove emissions stuff from cars that were made with the stuff,
Not everyone lives in the US where that law applies though. Lots of members from Mexico/Latin America, etc.

it was put there for a reason.
Sure, to create barriers to entry in the auto manufacturing industry (foreign copmetition was becoming fierce at this time). Lobbiests tend to get laws passed that benefit their patrons.

Second: doing this sort of thing is going to catch the wrong attention someday and ruin the car hobby for us all.
LOL the sky is falling! Yeah no. Like I said, it's a matter of well settled law. See above.

Third: The whole of the EFI system is the exhaust system too, there are pre cat and after cat sensors that like to be satisfied to make the engine run right,
Only the pre-cat o2 sensors are used to adjust air/fuel ratio on 1st gen ls400. Nobody said anything about removing o2 sensors anyway.
your ruining the tune of the engine doing it unless you have an after market ecu that is fully programmable.
Again, that's WRONG, see above.

Forth: If in doing this your LS ends up smelling like that old chevy its going to make people make a call to rid all the LS's from the hiways and streets.
You really like repeating wrong stuff over in different ways don't you? Again, air fuel ratio is not affected by cat delete.

Fifth: Its like any other mod done on these cars, makes it worth scrap or parts prices.
[/quote]
LOL! Maybe you are in the wrong place. The whole point of this board is information on aftermarket, modifications, and tuning.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 08-12-15 at 07:36 AM. Reason: personal jabs removed
Old 08-12-15, 07:38 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 700bones
LOL! Maybe you are in the wrong place. The whole point of this board is information on aftermarket, modifications, and tuning.
700bones exit this thread. You are not allowed to make detrimental personal comments towards other members. Your post has been edited, do not alter it.

This is your warning.
Old 08-22-15, 07:55 AM
ajonesy
Driver School Candidate

Well car ran fine for a week then the same problem!! Worse actually. Now it will barely start most of the time won't start. Fouled spark plugs. Rich in fuel. Backfiring and even backfiring sounds under the hood. Read the codes and got code 28 that's it. O2 sensors.

Quick Reply: Loss of power, both cats glowed red