LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Code 0500 along with vibrations from rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-15, 12:04 PM
KBH2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 0500 along with vibrations from rear end?

I am trying to help my Son out, he has a 96 LS400. He complained about a vibration coming from the rear end of his car about 2 weeks ago. It started small and got worse as time went by.

Anyway last night he was at a stoplight in drive and when he went to accelerate the car wouldn't move as if it was in neutral, he said it would just rev. He tried other gears same thing. So we towed it home.

I checked the code this am and the only code is 0500 speed sensor. I checked the trans level and it is definitely over filled. When the car is started (still in park) it sounds like something is rubbing. Not a metal shriek but not normal either. Shut it down when I heard that.

I saw LS Cowboy's check list and will see what happens after going thru it.

Am hoping someone might have an idea based on symptoms.

Thanks.

p.s. Read the capacitor thread really interesting, really appreciated all of the insight and input, my Son also has a 92 LS 400 and I bought the approved caps and will change those out for that car. If all goes well will do the 96 next.
Old 08-09-15, 12:41 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Transmission must be bad, mechanical problems are not related to the capacitors and ecu. When you checked the fluid was it running and in park? Next thing to do is drain the transmission and measure how much fluid came out. If its more than 2 quarts then it was over filled. If you checked it while running and it checked as too much on level ground and just 2 quarts drained out, then the pump is probably gone. How many miles on the car?

What happened to the other posts? I posted this for the 92, I'm not sure about the 96.
Old 08-09-15, 12:57 PM
KBH2
Driver School Candidate

About 90,000 miles. We don't drive as much in Hawaii as on mainland.

Looked at the level with engine off, as mentioned above there is a definite rubbing sound, didn't want to do more
damage.

Yes, understand that mechanical is not ECU/Caps problem.

Not sure what you mean in regards to other posts?
Old 08-09-15, 10:17 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

You are supposed to have it at operating temperature, and on a level surface, in park with engine RUNNING to check an automatic transmission.
Old 08-10-15, 11:36 PM
KBH2
Driver School Candidate

Default Some new info.

When engine was cold I checked the fluid to get a rough idea of level and it was above the hot mark. So we jacked up car and drained some fluid. Started car and the rubbing sound was not present anymore.

As car was warming up slowly cycled it thru the gears and it wanted to move although it took a few seconds for the gears to engage. Put it back and park and checked level and fine tuned it with a little more fluid and it looked good.

Put the hood down to give it a test drive and when drive is selected no movement without gas, when giving it gas it would give the occasional jerk/shudder but not really move.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 08-11-15, 01:41 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

What color is the fluid?
Old 08-11-15, 01:44 AM
KBH2
Driver School Candidate

Reddish brown.
Old 08-11-15, 01:49 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Check line pressure.
Old 08-11-15, 01:58 AM
KBH2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
Check line pressure.
My Son changed fluid when he bought (2 months ago) but didn't drop pan and clean filter, which is something I think we should do.

How does a back yard mechanic check "line pressure" I know if you have to ask...

thanks for your response.
Old 08-11-15, 01:24 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Its checked with a cheapo pressure gage a 0 to 300 psi will work.
Hmmm and did he use the special Toyota auto trans fluid? If he used dexron the transmission is probably ruined.
Old 08-11-15, 07:32 PM
KBH2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
Its checked with a cheapo pressure gage a 0 to 300 psi will work.
Hmmm and did he use the special Toyota auto trans fluid? If he used dexron the transmission is probably ruined.
Actually he used Toyota fluid.

Why would trans go into gear and pull when cold and after warm up when put into gear beside a jerk and shudder when giving it gas act like it is in neutral?
Old 08-11-15, 07:40 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Did you test the speed sensor? You did say it threw that code.
Old 08-11-15, 08:59 PM
KBH2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sha4000
Did you test the speed sensor? You did say it threw that code.
I didn't get to that. I am a little confused on where the speed sensor is? By the tail shaft area of trans?

Is there a test procedure for it?

I was looking at Yamae's thread about checking if ECU is ok while still in car, since we are not getting consistent results, I am going to see what the ripple voltage is.

I remember reading about water temp sending unit and that creating issues, does that ring a bell for anyone?

thanks again for all of the help.
Old 08-12-15, 02:15 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

When cold the fluid is thicker, and the seal rings and seals ( piston seals and such) are not expanded as much and or less pliable, and other parts and potential paths that dump pressure are more closed up. When it heats up all that changes. You maybe lucky and its a simple filter/screen change or it has internal leaks.
Old 10-18-15, 10:34 PM
KBH2
Driver School Candidate

Car was sitting for awhile. We finally (2 weeks ago) got the car up to our garage and dropped the trans pan and installed new filter.

Old filter was definitely clogged. Also some fine metal particles at magnets. There was a fluid drip from rear part of pan after install.

Car ran great for 1 week, then my son said there was this scraping grinding sound, (it made that sound before) so we assumed it was the trans. So we pulled the pan again to look at filter and also to see why pan was dripping fluid. When I put a straight edge on pan flange, at every hole for bolts it was definitely buldged, no way for gasket to seal correctly. With a pc of hard wood cut to fit, I was able to get the bulges flat. Put another filter in it, (there was some particles in the 2 week old filter).

Buttoned it back up. No more leaks and no more scraping/grinding noises. Until we started it about the 4th time. So we decided to take off the serpentine belt to see if the noise was coming from that area, still making the noise although sometimes it wouldn't. Every 4 engine starts it would do it approx 2 times. When it wouldn't make the noise it sounded totally normal. Also when it made the noise, shutting it off and restarting immediately usually stop the noise.

We are pretty sure that its the starter, from what I have read sounds like a PITA. Going with a rebuilt Denso from Amazon.

Will report back what happens.

Quick Reply: Code 0500 along with vibrations from rear end?