LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

new owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 04:08 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by jaaa
Yeah, I bought both paint colors and the clear coat(the clear coat was an epoxy type that you had to strike the bottom of the can to mix it) from a paint store in town. On the bumper it was fine, you really couldn't tell the silver wasn't a perfect match because there isn't any parallel surfaces to directly compare. On the driver side door it's another matter. I painted it twice and neither company came close to a match, so I will wait for a donor car with the right paint.

I know I should go OEM on the drive train, just trying to keep my costs down. My wife is not happy that my $300 car is now pushing $3000. It is however, a joy to drive and I'm super glad I've gone through the effort to bring a junk yard car back to life.
Okay, sounds like a plan, regarding the door.

As for the part, I can definitely understand why it would be good to keep your costs low. As I said in my previous post, I hope a UCF20/21 member can step in and help further.
Old 03-22-16, 05:43 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like your trans mount is shot from the picture. Replace the trans mount first, then the drive shaft coupler later. Aftermarket coupler is not going to last. I would rather pull a used OEM coupler from the junkyard than the new aftermarket.
Old 03-22-16, 06:15 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperopt
Looks like your trans mount is shot from the picture. Replace the trans mount first, then the drive shaft coupler later. Aftermarket coupler is not going to last. I would rather pull a used OEM coupler from the junkyard than the new aftermarket.
Okay. How could you tell the trans mount was shot. I just couldn't tell. I didn't see any cracks in/on the rubber parts.
Old 03-22-16, 07:16 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Looking at the left rubber in the picture, the upper-right hand corner of the rubber clearly separated from the top metal piece. You can jack up the trans at the two mounting bolts in the picture and the cracks will be clearer.
Old 03-23-16, 08:42 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Looking at the left rubber in the picture, the upper-right hand corner of the rubber clearly separated from the top metal piece. You can jack up the trans at the two mounting bolts in the picture and the cracks will be clearer.
I'll take your word for it and order an OEM mount. I found one for $45 or so and it says it's OEM and even had the part number on it. That seemed like a good price as I had seen several for far more.
Old 03-23-16, 07:43 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

By looking at the pics of the trans mount, drive shaft coupler, and the car mileage (200k+), I am fairly certain that the motor mounts are shots as well unless previously replaced. Newly installed trans mount will go south quickly in car with bad engine mounts.
Old 03-24-16, 06:57 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

By looking at the pics of the trans mount, drive shaft coupler, and the car mileage (200k+), I am fairly certain that the motor mounts are shots as well unless previously replaced. Newly installed trans mount will go south quickly in car with bad engine mounts.
Yeah, I know. Just trying to spread this maintenance around. I still have a timing belt kit, both valve covers, and trany and oil pans that need to be sealed. This car has had no maintenance done in a long time. Good thing I'm retired.
Old 03-24-16, 10:41 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by jaaa
Yeah, I know. Just trying to spread this maintenance around. I still have a timing belt kit, both valve covers, and trany and oil pans that need to be sealed. This car has had no maintenance done in a long time. Good thing I'm retired.
Yeah the expenses can add up quick. You've been given some sound advice already.
Old 03-26-16, 05:30 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Got my OEM trany mount in the mail today. Now I can see what you were talking about in the picture. Still snowing here so will wait a day or two, but I can see in the picture that the left hand side of the mount has totally delaminated. Thanks for the great on-line troubleshooting.
Old 03-28-16, 01:27 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

It fell apart in two pieces. Took it for a test drive and all is well.
Attached Thumbnails new owner-dsc04244.jpg  
Old 06-12-16, 08:24 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Default shocks

Took a trip to Vegas this last week. Car did just fine..............except! This is the first time I had loaded down the car(five people and luggage) , so I found out the shocks/springs are shot. I'm a complete novice at it, but know that going with Monroe probably is not the right route. I think I'd like to go with a complete assembly if I'm going to do it myself. If not, I think I could learn how to compress the springs safely. After a quick search, I saw these cheap ones:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-00-Lexus-...BUf3K5&vxp=mtr
Anyone out there ever use these?

I'd like to go KYB if I could and saw these:

https://www.amazon.com/KYB-FRONT-REA.../dp/B002T02OM6

I just want my shocks to get better. Not really wanting to go back to oem quality, but don't want to be driving a boat(like I am right now). I assume I'm on original shocks and springs, so does it make sense to leave the springs on and just replace the shocks or just replace it all. Like I said, I have no expertise at all and invite any opinion. Just trying to get educated by someone who has already done this.
Old 06-12-16, 10:28 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

I like Monroe and KYB a lot. I don't trust the cheaper struts, because you essentially get what you paid for a good amount of the time.

There was one time in the past where I had to change the struts 3 times in a row, because the springs kept making creaking noises while driving (going through turns, hitting bumps, etc). This was on another car though; not an LS 400.

Hopefully there is a member here who can provide more insight on those Ebay struts, but I would definitely go with KYB or Monroe.

I would also just replace them all (spring and strut). Pretty much all come as MacPherson struts, and it's not worth the hassle to go through changing the rear ones twice over a short span of time.
Old 06-26-16, 04:36 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Just thought I'd keep up with current events. Just changed out my timing belt with a gates kit. I followed the 90-94 procedure and found it worked well enough. Had the bank 1 cam spin on me just as I was putting the belt on, but just turned the cam back. The impetus to do this repair was a leak that started just above the compressor- and sure enough when I pulled the water pump- you could see a break on the gasket. Oh yeah, the fan assembly bearing was totally bad. There were metal shavings everywhere and it sounded like a bag of marbles when I shook it. Up next is replacing the shocks.

Last edited by jaaa; 12-05-18 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-29-16, 07:42 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Just got done with the shocks on all four corners. I went with the cheap one's from the link above. $288 for all four assemblies. I managed to screw up my abs system somehow while banging on the rear shocks. Looks like I will be troubleshooting that as time allows. Not really an imperative fix, just no abs action till I fix it. Did get my caps and rotors in that I ordered after tearing it apart for the timing belt kit. I think the caps and rotors are original to the car, so it's time.
Old 06-29-16, 10:11 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

So where the springs on the shocks already? If so how did the top mounts fit? I had to send the cheapys back because the stud pattern would not fit the shock towers. And I wasn't going to use a round file and file on the body.

Quick Reply: new owner