LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

new owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-16, 05:05 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
So where the springs on the shocks already? If so how did the top mounts fit? I had to send the cheapys back because the stud pattern would not fit the shock towers. And I wasn't going to use a round file and file on the body.
Yes, it was a full assembly( http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-00-Lexus-...mtr&rmvSB=true). I thought it fit quite well once I figured out how to do it. I put the whole family in the car yesterday and drive up to a Rockies game. The ride was very good comparative to what it was. I guess I don't have a way to compare to what OEM would feel like, but the boat ride is certainly gone. I'll come back here in a year and let you know what the long term is like.
Old 06-30-16, 01:04 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

That's the same brand I got for a 1990 and the stud locations were out a small amount and would not fit. Maybe they were speced for gen 2's and why they fit yours better. I sent em back and got the parts separately and had to use my own springs and also make a tool to align the top mount with the lower control arm bolt hole. It was not fun.
Old 07-01-16, 06:14 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

BTW, while I was putting on the gates timing belt kit, I noticed that the water pump gasket was made out of metal. My gasket had broken along a bottom bolt area and was made out of(I'm guessing) felt, cork?
Old 07-12-16, 06:50 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Installed caps and rotors yesterday, sure wish I had them on had while I was doing my timing belt. I noticed there was a white coating on the ends of the rotors where they make contact with the caps. Anyone out there have an idea what this is? Or what it's for?
Old 07-12-16, 04:42 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

If the rotors are making contact with the electrodes in the cap something is wrong. They aren't suppose to touch.
And the white stuff is very likely corrosion.
Old 07-12-16, 07:20 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dicer
If the rotors are making contact with the electrodes in the cap something is wrong. They aren't suppose to touch.
And the white stuff is very likely corrosion.
I was talking about the brand new rotors. I've had rotors before, but never seen them like that. And they were both the same.
Old 07-29-16, 08:15 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Just recently I put a gates timing belt kit in my car. I know the belts are made here and I thought the other pulleys and tensioners were OEM type. Saw this video and now I wonder about what I installed in my car:
Old 07-29-16, 09:23 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

If they wanted to china could make good stuff. I'd just wonder if they put any lube in the bearing?
Old 07-29-16, 11:53 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 237 Posts

I doubt they would leave out something like lubrication, otherwise they'd lose a lot of business. The problems with some Chinese parts have to do with the quality of the materials, the precision of alignment, the thickness and tolerances of parts, etc. I got a Chinese made bushing once, which snapped not too long after the install, because the metal was about half the thickness of the OEM part.

I wouldn't worry too much, jaaa. I would imagine that Gates would verify the parts quality in some way or form before putting it out in the kits. Just keep an eye out for noises over the next few thousand miles, but I think you will be fine.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 08-02-16 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-18-16, 10:37 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Got up this morning and filled up the car with coolant that I noticed had dropped around a half inch in the overflow tank. Went inside and came out an hour later and a circle of coolant was puddled under the car. Turned out to be just a loose fitting on the bottom coolant hose I had replaced while doing the timing belt. Boy was I happy. Had visions of all the labor I put in this past summer to fix all the coolant leaks I had on buying this car.
Thought I'd add that I haven't had the brake light warning lamp come back on since I replaced that module in the trunk. Been at least three months now. I'm up over 230k now on mileage now with no problems since the alternator fiasco this summer. It's nice to get in the car and not be worried about what might happen next in the car.
Old 12-15-16, 03:03 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Was replacing my front brakes and rotors and noticed a new leak coming out of the front bell housing. It is transmission fluid. It is a bad enough leak I will need to get it fixed. The transmission has been working fine, I've never had any trouble with it, so I'm guessing it is a front seal that has given out. Has anyone out there pulled their transmission and replaced the front seal?
I'm guessing that this might be beyond my paygrade. Any guesses or common problems encountered will be appreciated.
Old 08-24-17, 02:05 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

I've been absent from this forum for the last 8 months due to a bad transmission. I shopped all over and just couldn't find one cheap enough. My son managed to search for one and found one for $100 with only 110k miles on it. It took 5 whole days on jack stands in my driveway, but the new tranny is in there and it works fine. Only problem was the leak on the driver side cat showed up again after taking apart the exhaust. Boy were those transmission bolts on there tight. Good thing the car was up very high or I wouldn't have been able to put a long enough cheater bar to break the bolts loose.
Old 10-08-17, 06:57 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Just got back from a 5600 mile trip with my Lexus on a swing through the east coast and then back through Canada. Since I have 237k miles on it now(and I just replaced the fuel pump on my grandsons 196k 2001 bmw325), I was wondering about proactively changing out the fuel pump. I can't remember a whole lot of threads on fuel pumps like you do on starters, alternators and the such. Any thoughts out there on that?
Old 03-10-18, 08:06 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jaaa
Yes, it was a full assembly( http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-00-Lexus-...mtr&rmvSB=true). I thought it fit quite well once I figured out how to do it. I put the whole family in the car yesterday and drive up to a Rockies game. The ride was very good comparative to what it was. I guess I don't have a way to compare to what OEM would feel like, but the boat ride is certainly gone. I'll come back here in a year and let you know what the long term is like.
It's been more than a year, but just thought I'd come back and say I've had no troubles with these shocks since I installed them.
Old 03-22-18, 10:55 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Just got a P0125 today. It's a new one as I've never seen it before. From the description of the code it's "Insufficient coolant temperature for closed loop fuel control". I looked at freeze frame data and the ECT was at 187F, which doesn't sound too out of whack to me. I haven't had a chance to let it cool down and see what the ECT is at a cold engine start up. I cleared the code and took a short drive and all looked okay from my code reader. DTC didn't come back from the short drive. Am I looking at a bad coolant temperature sensor here?

Quick Reply: new owner