LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New bushings causing creaking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-15, 08:16 AM
Kozy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bushings causing creaking noise?

A few months ago, I personally replaced the bushings in the strut/caster bars in my '97. I had a machine shop press the old ones out and the OEM ones in, but the rest of the work I did myself. Replacing these eliminated my clunk, but the car has now developed a "creaking" sound whenever the front end of the car moves up and down. I can make this noise happen just by putting my weight on the front of the car and bouncing it up and down.

Since this creaking noise didn't start until AFTER I replaced the strut bushings, I am wondering if I did something incorrectly in the reinstall? Or could it just be that the control arm bushings crapped out right after I did this work?
Old 07-23-15, 08:20 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

did you use OEM bushings or aftermarket???
that will help... us to answer
Old 07-23-15, 08:42 AM
Kozy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
did you use OEM bushings or aftermarket???
that will help... us to answer
OEM bushings. Made sure not to tighten the bolts until the car was back on the ground too. I didn't use any grease when I reinstalled the bars though, and I read the instructions for the Daizen kit install that said to use LOADS of grease.
Old 07-23-15, 10:03 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

the bushings go in with the tab down (or up, they work the same)
did you do that also?
if so, there is only 2 possible items, one is the sway bar LINKS and the other is the sway bar bushings.
Attached Thumbnails New bushings causing creaking noise?-srbmk.jpg   New bushings causing creaking noise?-100_2822.jpg  
Old 07-23-15, 10:32 PM
Kozy
Driver School Candidate

The bushings were indeed installed with the tabs facing up and down.

I had a mechanic look at the car and he told me the control arm bushings were the culprit but I am not giving his opinion any consideration because he didn't come across as confident in his diagnosis. I'm doing oil changes this weekend, so I'll have to check out the sway bar stuff for visible problems.
Old 07-26-15, 05:12 PM
LsG86
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kozy
A few months ago, I personally replaced the bushings in the strut/caster bars in my '97. I had a machine shop press the old ones out and the OEM ones in, but the rest of the work I did myself. Replacing these eliminated my clunk, but the car has now developed a "creaking" sound whenever the front end of the car moves up and down. I can make this noise happen just by putting my weight on the front of the car and bouncing it up and down.

Since this creaking noise didn't start until AFTER I replaced the strut bushings, I am wondering if I did something incorrectly in the reinstall? Or could it just be that the control arm bushings crapped out right after I did this work?
My 97 WAS making this creaking noise as well, I actually thought it was the Beck Arnley LBJs causing this noise but it wasn't.

For me the ONLY time my car makes this creaking noise is when I goto the car wash and I use the high water pressure gun and spay the liner behind all four wheels for whatever reason my car will make that creaking noise up front when going over bumps and dips. Very annoying to say the least.

The creaking might last for a day or until everything is completely dry. I am assuming when the whole front suspension is wet, something is causing that creaking noise.
I am thinking it may be my front upper control arms or sway bar bushes, they are the originals from factory.

Last edited by LsG86; 07-26-15 at 05:19 PM.