LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Factory GPS has got to go!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-15, 11:13 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Factory GPS has got to go!

I want Bluetooth hands-free calling, streaming music, dvd, and navigation program that doesn't look like a poorly drawn cartoon. Anyone seen a thread here where a fellow CL member has replaced the factory navi/climate/audio system on a '98? I've searched myself but only found guys who have done this with the Pioneer or Nak systems and not the factory "all-in-one" navi units.

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 08-18-15 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 12:49 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

You can get the non nav HVAC controls which should be plug and play. Then add aftermarket HU with all the features you want.
Old 06-19-15, 12:59 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sha4000
You can get the non nav HVAC controls which should be plug and play. Then add aftermarket HU with all the features you want.
How about trim? I found the climate control unit on ebay but of course most people purchasing these are doing a one-for-one swap, not "adding" the component. Won't it be necessary to find a trim piece too?
Old 06-19-15, 04:08 PM
tsxnbp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are doing a complete swap using non-nav HVAC control you also need the non-HVAC center vent piece. That's why I had sourced the non-NAV HVAC control, Beat-sonic SLA22 and non-NAV center vent which I was going to use as the donor of wood strip.

I just took a quick pic for you to show you the difference in thickness. NAV wood strip is half the size of non-NAV strip and leaves a big gap unless you use the thicker wood strip.
Attached Thumbnails Factory GPS has got to go!-non-nav-vs-nav.jpg  
Old 06-19-15, 07:12 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

It's going to be real hard to find that vent piece.
Old 06-20-15, 07:59 AM
tsxnbp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
It's going to be real hard to find that vent piece.
Yes I agree 110%....I don't think many realize that the Beat-sonic SLA-22 I am selling INCLUDES the non-nav center vent which make the whole swap a lot easier to complete!
Old 06-22-15, 02:02 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tsxnbp
Yes I agree 110%....I don't think many realize that the Beat-sonic SLA-22 I am selling INCLUDES the non-nav center vent which make the whole swap a lot easier to complete!
You almost got me sold. Check your PM.
Old 06-26-15, 03:41 PM
SHOoff11
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so glad I saw this, looks like I won't be changing the old nav out in mine because of those stupid center vents.
Old 06-29-15, 08:08 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SHOoff11
I'm so glad I saw this, looks like I won't be changing the old nav out in mine because of those stupid center vents.
I wouldn't be attempting it either unless I could achieve a factory look. Luckily, tsxnbp found that vent piece somewhere but never used it - and now it's mine. I am hoping to have all the parts I need arrive by Wednesday so I can do the install this weekend. Stay tuned. Cheers.

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 06-30-15 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-29-15, 05:10 PM
SHOoff11
Driver

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
I wouldn't be attempting it either unless I could achieve a factory look. Luckily, tsxnbp found that vent piece somewhere but never used it - and I bought it so now it's mine. I am hoping to have all the parts I need arrive by Wednesday so I can do the install this weekend. Stay tuned. Cheers.
Nice! I'm anxious to see how it comes out!
Old 06-30-15, 11:25 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

tsxnhp is the man! great dude and glad he could help you out. i never knew the factory nav was built in with the vents!
Old 06-30-15, 02:21 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
tsxnhp is the man! great dude and glad he could help you out. i never knew the factory nav was built in with the vents!
Yeah, without him I wouldn't have attempted this simply because of the "wood trim" issue. Apparently the factory navi HU is about 1/4" taller than the other sound systems so Lexus had to trim the normal vent piece down. I would have never known this had I not seen his OP. Luckily, he still had the Beat-sonic wiring and 2-DIN frame, along with the longer vent trim piece and he even threw in a full set of LEDs to replace the back-lighting on the climate control module which I bought separately from ebay.

This is what's going in to replace the factory navi...

Amazon.com: Jensen VX4022 2 DIN Multimedia Receiver, 6.2-Inch Touch Screen with Bluetooth, SiriusXM, HDMI/MHL, Selectable Colors and Built-in USB Port (Black): Car Electronics Amazon.com: Jensen VX4022 2 DIN Multimedia Receiver, 6.2-Inch Touch Screen with Bluetooth, SiriusXM, HDMI/MHL, Selectable Colors and Built-in USB Port (Black): Car Electronics

This unit was about half the cost of their top-of-the-line navi unit which does not get great reviews. Besides, with the "screen mirroring" function on this model I will be able to view my phone's gps on the 6" screen. Add that to the other features and I think it's a pretty good upgrade...though I will miss that cassette player.

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 08-09-15 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-30-15, 09:48 PM
SHOoff11
Driver

Anyone know a way to make something to cover up the extra gap if you have the nav vents, or even make a larger trim piece to replace the wood at the bottom? I really am sick of not having music in the car when I drive, but I refuse to pay upwards of $200 for some vents.
Old 07-01-15, 09:16 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SHOoff11
Anyone know a way to make something to cover up the extra gap if you have the nav vents, or even make a larger trim piece to replace the wood at the bottom? I really am sick of not having music in the car when I drive, but I refuse to pay upwards of $200 for some vents.
I'm pretty sure if you know someone who is handy with wood finishing work they could fabricate one out of real wood. The trick would be getting the finish as close to the wood-grain plastic as possible. I will post a picture of the piece and it's dimensions once it's separated from the rest of the vent and you can take it from there.
Old 07-01-15, 03:17 PM
SHOoff11
Driver

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
I'm pretty sure if you know someone who is handy with wood finishing work they could fabricate one out of real wood. The trick would be getting the finish as close to the wood-grain plastic as possible. I will post a picture of the piece and it's dimensions once it's separated from the rest of the vent and you can take it from there.
That would be great, thanks!

Quick Reply: Factory GPS has got to go!