LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

ABS Alert, Save my LS400 from the scrapyard !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 11:04 PM
LexterLS40
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS Alert, Save my LS400 from the scrapyard !!

Goodday to you all,

I have a ls400 1991 and it is due for the MOT test. Everything was fine for a year never had any TRAC or ABS lights on. The Ls400 was in the garage for 4 months and when i started it i got a orange ABS light wich is good ...
But is doesn't go out it remains on, so i took the repairbooks and read and read i visited the fora's and i read and read.

When i diagnose with my paperclip on Tc E1 the ABS it gives a code 43 and the bookrefers to TRAC.
When i diagnose the TRAC i get nothing. I reset the ECU by pumping 8 x but nothing changed.
When i start the diagnose and turn the ignition on it goes on for 3 sec and then dies, wich to me it seems to be the opposite code "Always on"
The book says: When no codes appear do BR190 wich gives me 11V between tc and e1 on the engine connector, with the ignition off and 13 volt with ignition on. The book does not say wich to pick, it does show diagram with 12V, it seems strangly there is current on anything wich the key removed., The book leads me to the wireharess check beteween TDLC and ECU that is ok, and to check the ground. I have not done that because it is almost unreachable. EDIT I am on it right now seeking the ground.
If the 12v is a problem i have a split choice: replace ecu or br130 problem cvhart where i choose : diagnoses cannot be performed goes to: BR 188 or BR190 BR188 means TRac indication light circuit.
Does it NOT light up ? go to br181 when it remains on go to BR126 wich goes to BR190
When the light remains on i go to nowhere becasue the light DOES not stay on so i have a dead question here.

Yes i took the connectors apart and sprayed them with cleaner. No results ...
I reset the ECU by pumping the peddle, pulling the fuse, and some amateur attempts like ignition on take off the min pole from the batt and wait ......i can't remove the ABS 43 code, nothing can kill the ABS light. Unless i pull bulb from the dashlight, wich will problaby be noticed by the MOT man and he will start the crap **** about danger. There is no danger the normal break system is OK, i take great care of my overheating little brakes.
Ok swap the ECU and stop wining ....maybe the old one suddenly works i read that one here.

The biggest problem is i swapped the enigine 3 years ago, i had a full traction control system but i removed theEngine ECU, enginewire harness, the manifold, and the engine i never changed the ABS TRAC ecu.
I replaced another engine without TRAC manifold, so that wire harness should be different it is because now i have 1 TPS sensor. I still have the manifold the tps sensor but i lost the wireharness, because it was faulty and misleaded the EFI.
After the swap of the ECU wireharness, manifold, everything was ok, ok the AC leaked pressure en sometimes a couple of the dashboard light went on and went of. Very disturbing but it has past the MOT test 2 or 3 times without that flickering dashboard problem.

so bottomline:
I never had any ABS or TRAC lights on after the enigne swap.
I drove it for years with the TRC OFF switch on ( so the OFF light would't glow)
The TRAC indicator lights does work, it goes on for 3 sec and of
The TRAC OFF switch works and the light works aswel and it stays on "TRC OFF"
The TRAC diagnose doesnt show any codes. it goes on for 3 sec and then dies
Replacing sensor TPS TRAC is impossible due to the wireharness and air intake
Fixing any TRAC codes is pointless because i does not work .

question: Will another ECU second hand solve the problem ABS light problem ? And should i buy one ECU with TRAC or without TRAC ?

Now it is dooms day live or die for the LS400 i refuse to kill the magic LS400 for just a bloody little orange ABS light ... the book says: ABS will not work if any sensor or problem is noticed by the ECU the LS will use normal breaking only. The MOT man will not be open for that argument.
I desperate seek advice from the gurus here ... help me solve it and save the LS400 so i can rev her up one more year or more.

Many thanks forgive my typing i am foreigner from Holland.

Last edited by LexterLS40; 06-19-15 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-19-15, 02:01 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

First are there any big differences from a non USA type LS400 and the US market models?

Why not just disconnect the battery or remove the efi fuse to reset the ecu?

If its a Trac ecu and there is no trac, I would say that is a problem.

If the car had trac and the engine in it now does not, I am not sure how trac and abs are interconnected.
You may need to isolate the trac system electrically, fuse?

This is a good one for Yamae.
Old 06-20-15, 10:15 AM
LexterLS40
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks,

true true this european model is different and true it is that driving a TRAC car without TRAC TPS but with the ECU ABS TRAC is very odd.
It glode ( past time for gliding ?) like a new car.

first i made a big error looking at the lights with bigger care .....
I have no TRAC light at all the light is see is the yellow trac off
next to that the book says ANTI LOCK mine says ABS
that said replacing the ECU is the best bet for me

i will stop wining and try to buy a second hand ECU from ebay
if it runs another 2 years on the other ebay ecu it will do

in the meantime i tried to find the EC ground behind the enige but i fail to locate it.

anyone ever had this ground in his hand ?

greetings from Amsterdam

ps: ECU is ordered on ebay uk to holland

Last edited by LexterLS40; 06-20-15 at 10:36 AM.