LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

sub replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-03, 03:01 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sub replacement

Thinking about getting one of these to replace my OEM sub.

JBL LC S1050W Car Speaker - 400Watt Max Output $79

Anybody know if this will give me more bass than the stock sub or is the stock sub
and equivalant to this sub? My stock sub is not damaged I just want a little more base without
having to rewire the entire car or make any new holes. I figured If I could get this and just to a plug and unplug on the stock sub I would try it.
Old 03-29-03, 09:14 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Anybody here replaced thier sub with a free air sub and had a noticable difference or is this just a waste of money since the radio doesn't any watts to push a better sub?
Old 03-29-03, 09:23 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think that if you replaced the factory sub you would get a slight improvement in bass. That factory pioneer sub is paper thin so the JBL would definitely be better. I'd give it a try, and hey, if it's not a big improvement just return it and put the pioneer back in!
Old 03-29-03, 12:57 PM
Geremology101
Rookie

If you want some really noticable bass, you can't just replace the sub--you'll also have to buy a new amp because the stock amp is set to push out a certain amout of watts.

I replaced my stock sub with a 100watt sub and it sounded a little better but i wanted more bass, so i replaced it with a 350watt sub, but there wasn't any difference in the sound because of the amp
Old 03-29-03, 04:05 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

hm.. how many watts is the OEM sub and amp? are there any amps that will plug and play into the OEM amp slot?

Last edited by spxChrome; 03-29-03 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-31-03, 11:27 AM
BrianV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a high/low convereter and a regular amp. You won't have to drill holes (except for where u want the amp, and no wires are needed from the headunit, just tape off the existing sub wires.

Anyways, I've been wanting to do this. Does any 10" sub screw into the place of the stock one or does the stock one have some strange brakcets? Can a 12 drop in without much modification?
Old 03-31-03, 01:25 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

looks like any 10 will fit. a 12 will need some mods.

there has to be somebody on this forum that has replaced the sub and amp that could help us out?
Old 03-31-03, 02:36 PM
BrianV
Driver

Well if any 10 can fit without modification then I can do it.

Do this, just buy any 10, install it in place.

Buy a high.low adapter, connect the high-low to the existing speaker wires that went to the stock speaker. Hook other end of high-low into amp's input. Amp's output goes to new sub. Wah-lah 10" powered by seperate amp without any modification.

PS high-low converters will run you $25-$50
Old 03-31-03, 05:16 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Well I want to go with the JBL Free Air Sub 10".

So what PS high-low converter do I need? Or is it one size fits all kind of thing?
Old 03-31-03, 08:11 PM
BrianV
Driver

Originally posted by spxChrome
Well I want to go with the JBL Free Air Sub 10".

So what PS high-low converter do I need? Or is it one size fits all kind of thing?
They're universal, basically it's a device that can convert an amp'd speaker line back into an rca input for a new amp (taking a high amp'd line, and making it a low rca line for a new amp). Rather simplistic device, some have adjustable ***** on them for voltage, most of time u just max it out.

At any rate, just go to a stereo shop, buy your JL free air and tell them you need a high/low adapter or high/low converter, they should know what you're talking about. Certain sound systems like many Bose's and Mach systems have self amp'd speakers, so the only way you can add a sub to the car is to use a high/low becaue there's no power coming off the head unit so you can't tap off of one of the other speaker lines, you have to grab it after it's amp'd with the high/low.
Old 03-31-03, 08:20 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

thanks man, I will check it out tommorow... btw, I checked out the pics of your ride... nice, I love the black and gold package where did you get those rims? those are sweet. know what they are called and how much?
Old 04-01-03, 06:43 AM
BrianV
Driver

Originally posted by spxChrome
thanks man, I will check it out tommorow... btw, I checked out the pics of your ride... nice, I love the black and gold package where did you get those rims? those are sweet. know what they are called and how much?
The rims on my Lexus are the stock 95-97 chrome rims?
Old 04-01-03, 07:38 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Post check out my sub!

Hey guys, I'm in the process of installing my system and just recently took out my factory sub. I was amazed when I took it out; almost all the rubber/foam stuff that goes around the edge of the speaker was missing!!! Well, most of it was in little pieces laying in the spare tire area, hahaaa. I took a picture so everyone could see what the sun&heat can do to a sub over the years. I'm glad my new sub will be in sometime soon!
Attached Thumbnails sub replacement-factorysub.jpg  
Old 04-01-03, 07:39 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, and is the thing actually the sub amp??? In the top corner of the Pioneer label it says 2Ohm.
Attached Thumbnails sub replacement-factoryamp.jpg  
Old 04-01-03, 07:44 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Was it just two bolts holding it on?

What you getting for a replacement?

Quick Reply: sub replacement