LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Questions about going low

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 07:16 AM
LS400FL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about going low

Hello Club Lexus, I am a new member here. I have done some searching around the forum and found that Megan coilovers are the best quality for the price. This would be my first 'stance' build so I'm curious of what else I would need to achieve a solid stance. A few owners I have talked to told me to look at products from Serial Nine, they also told me for lowering to drill out holes, etc. I am obviously in confusion about a bunch of this info, and would appreciate anyones help to clear it up for me. I apologize if this has been posted somewhere else, I'm still getting used to navigating around this forum. Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-09-15, 10:07 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

First of all if you need a low one there are many of them forsale on craigslist CHEAP, they don't sell well at all, and for the cost of the parts and install time you maybe getting a complete drivable car for less.
And if that's not an option then it is best not to do any modifications that are not reversible like cutting or drilling holes in the main unibody, because when your tired of it and want to sell it or in 20 more years when only a hand full of these cars are left, unmolested will bring top dollar. But then maybe they never will be worth anything its hard to say. Lowering it brings all kinds of problems, scraping everything on the road is one of them.
A scarred up underside is just as bad as scabbed in holes too. Just things to think about.
Old 06-09-15, 10:11 AM
LS400FL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
First of all if you need a low one there are many of them forsale on craigslist CHEAP, they don't sell well at all, and for the cost of the parts and install time you maybe getting a complete drivable car for less.
And if that's not an option then it is best not to do any modifications that are not reversible like cutting or drilling holes in the main unibody, because when your tired of it and want to sell it or in 20 more years when only a hand full of these cars are left, unmolested will bring top dollar. But then maybe they never will be worth anything its hard to say. Lowering it brings all kinds of problems, scraping everything on the road is one of them.
A scarred up underside is just as bad as scabbed in holes too. Just things to think about.
Hmm, definitely some good input. I completely agree. If I were to go low I'd try to preserve the car for what it is by using bash plates and other protective measures. I have a bone stock LS400, I am not looking for tucking rim or anything, but just nice fitment. I figured I could accomplish that using a good set of coilovers and upgraded control arms, etc. At all costs, I want to maintain the cars reliability, I figured lowering it wouldn't tamper with that aspect.
Old 06-09-15, 11:26 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

A variety of discussions on suspension. How low do your want the car to sit and how aggressive a wheel fitment are you aiming for?

The Build Threads section is also a good browse for ideas:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads-262/
Old 06-09-15, 12:16 PM
LS400FL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Welcome to Club Lexus.

A variety of discussions on suspension. How low do your want the car to sit and how aggressive a wheel fitment are you aiming for?

The Build Threads section is also a good browse for ideas:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads-262/
Thank you for the welcoming! I will definitely check out the discussions on suspension. I would like a fitment that is not necessarily wheel to body, but fairly close (no tucking). I am willing to suffer ride quality if it means I get the stance I am after. This would be my daily driver, but I live in Florida and my local roads are not to shabby. A ride height I think I am aspiring to be would be this (Mine is a 97', but just for ride height reference):

I'll check out those build threads as well. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-09-15, 01:09 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

How would "Bash plates" be held on? Using existing holes? There is always a way to use existing bolt points by fabbing brackets I've done that on lots of different projects.
Old 06-09-15, 01:12 PM
LS400FL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
How would "Bash plates" be held on? Using existing holes? There is always a way to use existing bolt points by fabbing brackets I've done that on lots of different projects.
Most likely something among those lines. I would have a shop take care of custom fabrication to ensure that it is quality work. Do any of you know of any VIP interior pieces for the gray leather? I seem to only come across beige and black curtains, neck pads, and knots.
Old 06-10-15, 02:30 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

A shop does not always mean quality work. I've worked in some shops in the past. Just watch some of the car type reality shows, like gasmonkey.
A shop is going to do it fast, and fast does not equate with quality. They will wham it all together and won't give a rip what they mess up doing it.
Unless they are a concours type restoration shops. And that would cost some huge bucks to do that sort of work.

Last edited by dicer; 06-10-15 at 02:36 AM.