LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help adjusting back seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-03, 12:13 PM
sbass
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help adjusting back seat

I recently noticed that the back seat in my car isn't installed quite right. There is a gap between the headrest area and the subwoofer area. See attached pic. It's bad enough to be annoying. Is there an easy way to adjust or fix this? I've looked at other posts about taking out the entire back portion of the seat, but it seems a bit complex. Any suggestions?

Stephen
Attached Thumbnails Help adjusting back seat-img0175.jpg  
Old 03-27-03, 02:40 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

It looks like the rear shocks were replaced and the seat was re-installed. They did the exact same thing to my old 91.

Sorry but I wrecked the car before I got a chance to correct that.

I feel you pain cause I hated how that looked....

Jerry
Old 03-27-03, 02:56 PM
Lvangundy

Mine is simil;ar but on the far side.

I think the only way to fix this is to remove it again and bend it back into shape.

If they can pull it and bend it out, you can pull it out, push and bend it back in. Will take more than one person most likely.
Old 04-07-03, 02:49 PM
leosls400
Driver

sbass

Removing the rear seat is some what easy. to remove the bottom portion of the seat you need to release the two clips which are located on each corner of the seat. They are black tabs, you need to remove the plastic cover to reveal the metal tab. You either can use some visegrip pliers to pull on the tabs forward and up and lifting at the same time or use a screw driver to push the tab forward (you can see a hole in the metal tab where you can insert the screwdriver to push on tab. Once you have removed the bottom section, the top is easier. This piece is held in place by 4 bolts, two which are in the center behind the seat belt buckels, so you need to loosen the seat bealt buckles so that you can get to the bolts. The other two are located one each by the door/ fender wall. once you have removed the four bolts, you simply lift up toward the back window and forward. Then just re-bend if its bent or just re-install.
Old 04-07-03, 02:59 PM
Lvangundy

Be careful when unbolting the bolts that hold in the upper (back) part of the seat.

When I took mine out, the pressure from the 'U' shaped metal part that the bolt holds in was pulling up on the bolt. I had a tough time unscrewing the bolts and when I did get them out they were stripped. Use something that wil lossen the bolt and make sure you have someone push down on the top of the seat while you un-bolt them.

Had to re-tap the holes with american bolts!

Last edited by Lvangundy; 04-07-03 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-07-03, 09:43 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am currently in the process of sound deadoning my car, and I encountered this problem when reinstalling my rear seat back. To me it looks as if whoever put the seat back missed the center two hooks that hold the top in place, and that is probably why your seat is bowed out in the center. That's almost exactly how mine looked when I missed the center hooks on the first try.

I have been taking lot's of pictures of my stereo install so I just quickly circled the "hooks" I am talking about. To fix, you need to angle the seat back so it gets all four hooks. You need to push the seat back and then downward, you'll know when you get all the hooks cuz it will look right. Once you get that you need to push downwards hard, then check the alignment of the four bolts.
Attached Thumbnails Help adjusting back seat-raammat002sm.jpg